Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Think all of the words mentioned so far are spot on - intense, relentless etc. 

What I would say is that our lads look like they're enjoying themselves out there. I watch some teams and their players look like they've got the world on their shoulders and look anything but happy - I'm thinking Spurs and Chelsea specifically. Our lot are rock solid, disciplined and organised but they're also exceptionally well drilled and highly motivated. Our weaker players still function well in the team structure and we've also got quality in a few positions, get Wilson and Isak and maybe one or 2 others in Jan on the park and we'll fucking fly

One of the things I've enjoyed that I didn't expect to is how physical we are.

Our pressing is one thing but the physicality of the players in individual duels has been a key factor in our success in my opinion - to the extent where I'd hope it becomes a running blueprint for our recruitment. 

I'll be interested to see what the long term plan at LB is.

Do we think Eddie will stick with this shape where we play with three at the back in possession?

One huge benefit to it is that it allows Bruno a bit more freedom to get forward even in the deepest of the midfield roles. Really negates the need for a true holding midfielder.

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

I'll be interested to see what the long term plan at LB is.

Do we think Eddie will stick with this shape where we play with three at the back in possession?

One huge benefit to it is that it allows Bruno a bit more freedom to get forward even in the deepest of the midfield roles. Really negates the need for a true holding midfielder.

I think we’ll go for a more attacking fullback to bolster the left side attack. 

24 minutes ago, Kanji said:

A fully fit Isak may transform the attack too, he’s so dynamic and explosive on the ball and his shooting is outstanding. 

Yeah i think he’ll take our attack to another level. He can take people on, he’s direct, he presses and he’s quick as fuck. Opposite Miggy on the other side and linking up with Wilson is an exciting prospect because it’ll pull teams all over the place. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Goalkeepers

Pope

Darlow

Karius

Gillespie

Defenders
Trippier

Manquillo

Krafth 🏥 (2-4 months)

Schär
Lascelles
Botman

Burn

Targett

Lewis

Dummett 🏥 (1-2 weeks)

Midfielders
Guimarães
Shelvey 🏥 (6-8 weeks)

S. Longstaff

Anderson

Joelinton

Willock

Almirón

Murphy

Ritchie

Saint-Maximin

Fraser

Attackers
Isak 🏥 (1-2 weeks)

Wilson 🏥 (2-3 days)

Wood

--

This is where we're at heading into the January Transfer Window. Gillespie and Krafth aren't currently registered but everyone else is.

Barely Featured
Gillespie (0')

Karius (0')

Krafth (39')

Lewis (51')

Manquillo (76')

Darlow (90')

Dummett (90')

Ritchie (92')

Shelvey (122')

Isak (244')

Anderson (259')

Lascelles (264')

Fraser (311')

Of that list, it's clear one of the backup goalkeepers needs to go now that all of them are fit. Gillespie, for me, provided Karius is happy staying and battling to be #2 with Darlow.

Then, we've surely got to be looking at shifting Lewis and Manquillo. Though Manquillo will need replacing, of course. It does seem we're onto that already.

Dummett and Ritchie have to be off in the summer regardless due to their contracts expiring, but it does seem Ritchie might go in January. Can't see Dummett leaving early.

Shelvey might have fucked it with this latest injury and is probably off in the summer as well. He's going nowhere in January, obviously.

Anderson probably needs to get out on a decent loan to The Championship where he'll start every game. However, he's currently the fifth choice in CM due to Shelvey's injury and so he's another that'll need replacing if this is to happen.

Finally, it does seem that Fraser wants away and will be allowed to go if a decent offer comes in. If that happens, we absolutely need a new winger as well.

TLDR (OUT)
Gillespie

Manquillo

Lewis

Ritchie

Anderson (loan)

Fraser

TLDR (IN)
Right-back

Central Midfielder

Winger

Though that's six out and three in, we'd need to replace a grand total of 789 minutes from the opening part of the season. Not hard to do if we're signing two starters and a backup.

If we register Krafth and the RB isn't U21, we'd still hit the full 25-man quota.

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

Goalkeepers

Pope

Darlow

Karius

Gillespie

Defenders
Trippier

Manquillo

Krafth 🏥 (2-4 months)

Schär
Lascelles
Botman

Burn

Targett

Lewis

Dummett 🏥 (1-2 weeks)

Midfielders
Guimarães
Shelvey 🏥 (6-8 weeks)

S. Longstaff

Anderson

Joelinton

Willock

Almirón

Murphy

Ritchie

Saint-Maximin

Fraser

Attackers
Isak 🏥 (1-2 weeks)

Wilson 🏥 (2-3 days)

Wood

--

This is where we're at heading into the January Transfer Window. Gillespie and Krafth aren't currently registered but everyone else is.

Barely Featured
Gillespie (0')

Karius (0')

Krafth (39')

Lewis (51')

Manquillo (76')

Darlow (90')

Dummett (90')

Ritchie (92')

Shelvey (122')

Isak (244')

Anderson (259')

Lascelles (264')

Fraser (311')

Of that list, it's clear one of the backup goalkeepers needs to go now that all of them are fit. Gillespie, for me, provided Karius is happy staying and battling to be #2 with Darlow.

Then, we've surely got to be looking at shifting Lewis and Manquillo. Though Manquillo will need replacing, of course. It does seem we're onto that already.

Dummett and Ritchie have to be off in the summer regardless due to their contracts expiring, but it does seem Ritchie might go in January. Can't see Dummett leaving early.

Shelvey might have fucked it with this latest injury and is probably off in the summer as well. He's going nowhere in January, obviously.

Anderson probably needs to get out on a decent loan to The Championship where he'll start every game. However, he's currently the fifth choice in CM due to Shelvey's injury and so he's another that'll need replacing if this is to happen.

Finally, it does seem that Fraser wants away and will be allowed to go if a decent offer comes in. If that happens, we absolutely need a new winger as well.

TLDR (OUT)
Gillespie

Manquillo

Lewis

Ritchie

Anderson (loan)

Fraser

TLDR (IN)
Right-back

Central Midfielder

Winger

Though that's six out and three in, we'd need to replace a grand total of 789 minutes from the opening part of the season. Not hard to do if we're signing two starters and a backup.

If we register Krafth and the RB isn't U21, we'd still hit the full 25-man quota.

This is very well put. It shows we actually need to just get bodies out the door and off the wage bill as certain members of the squad just aren't playing at all. Replace 6 with 3 and those 3 are of better quality and will play more games.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Sheff Wed game really highlights the need for a central midfielder this window and another in the summer.  Ideal game to give most of them a rest.  Due to them playing basically every game when they're available and how intense the system is.  

We currently have 4 midfielders for 3 positions, plus Anderson.  Who isn't necessarily ready and could do with a loan for regular minutes.  He has also played wide and in more of a ten role a lot of the time, I believe? 

None of them are really DM's or able to sit the deepest of the 3, bar Bruno.  Longstaff has done it (badly) and if he plays there, you take away from what he is good at going forward.  He presses from the front well and makes some great runs into space. 

Joelinton isn't really a conventional central midfielder.  Just a one man wrecking crew :lol: and he has been playing some kind of hybrid wide role and interchanging with Willock for a lot of this season. 

I also think Willock can be a bit positionless at times and drifts in and out of games.  I do love him, mind and offers something different from deep driving forward on the ball.  

More importantly, we only have one creative player who has a great passing ability short and long, in Bruno.  With him playing deeper, we are going to get more and more frustrated when teams park the bus.  Going to be painful if teams manage to get an early goal at SJP and then sit in for 70-80 minutes.

If over-spending slightly now to improve the midfield means it affects business in the summer.  Then I'm all for it, TBH.  I know we're much further ahead in our progression as a club than we expected and I'm sure there is a structured plan in place.  But there is no guarantee next season will see us doing so well.  Teams adapt and figure out how to combat teams styles.  Plsu Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool might get their act together.  Feels like there is a great chance to get the top 4-5, with other teams performing.  Much like the 5th placed season under Pardew. 

Basically halfway through the season and sat in third.  I hope we speculate to accumulate and roll the big fucking dice. 

Definitely need a midfielder, and I would prefer a defensively minded one who can pass very calmly and play keep ball. Our intensity is our strength and our pressing, but there will be some times we need to slow things down a bit and hold the ball. Also we are too reliant on Bruno I feel, not that that's bad, teh squad should be built round him but he gets injured and we dont have anyone any where near his quality near his position

4 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

How did we manage to name Dubravka on the bench v Arsenal if he wasn't in the squad?

Squad was only up to 31/12/22. Now window is open you can pick anyone on your books.

Edited by bowlingcrofty

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure where else to post, but in the event of qualifying for Europe, squad registration could be tricky (I think...)

You can name a 25 man squad, of which 8 must have been trained in the nation for 3 years between 15-21, and 4 who must be trained at the registering club for 3 years between 15-21. I think under-21 players don't need to be registered if they were at the club the previous season - this may be wrong.

The 8 will be a doddle but the 4... we have Longstaff, but assuming Dummett is away and Anderson doesn't need to be registered, I'm struggling. You can leave spaces in the squad to make up for not having enough homegrown, but not the best idea.

By the way this is purely from Football Manager knowledge and not much else :lol: 

1. Pope*

2. Karius

3. Gillespie*

4. Trippier*

5. Schar

6. Burn*

7. Botman

8. Lascelles*

9. Targett*

10. Manquillo

11. Bruno

12. Longstaff**

13. Willock*

14. Joelinton

15. Murphy*

16. Gordon*

17. Almiron

18. ASM

19. Isak

20. Wilson*

21. Ashby*

22. Krafth

Obviously there will be some of the above leaving (4 right-backs in there...) and signings in the summer, but something I'm sure the club have taken into account.

Yes I know I'm well ahead of myself here!

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2023 at 14:09, Colos Short and Curlies said:

If Dubs leaves then I can see Karius being kept on and one of Forster or Krul coming back for the Scott Carson role

FM was a dream when we had Woodman and you could sign Krul. 2 of the 4 Academy slots were taken just on those.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously not going to change anything for the final, but I wonder if Howe will consider going for a 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1 at times during the run-in.

Bruno and Joelinton in CM, Longstaff the first alternate.

Gordon and Almiron on the wings, Willock possibly in contention for one of those spots.

Think you could send out a midfield four there that would be defensively very solid.

ASM, Isak and Wilson then fighting for two spots up front. Isak could play either the more advanced role if playing with Maxi or he could play just off Wilson. Potentially gives ASM a bit more freedom when he's not as concerned with protecting the LB.

Think it's worth considering given how the goals have dried up the last month. Obviously the 4-3-3 will likely be our main system but it would be good to be able to give teams something different to think about.