Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Yeah, thought that was a fair analysis from the TiFo pod. It also incited a deep fear in me that Villa have provided a blueprint for everyone else in how to beat us this season. Need to hope that the result was as much/more about us having a shitter with very low performance levels, rather than it being a demonstration of us being well and truly sussed.

Wonder if Howe will hold his nerve and stick with the 4-3-3...

Brighton are so good at baiting, I think they're the worst match-up in the league for us with their build-up flexibility and pace - it's the game I'm least confident about this season. Villa handled our press so well but seemed to struggle with Chelsea's - I guess that's just the risk with these high risk-reward strategies on both sides. Howe's desire for us to push up every time is largely great and many teams are going to struggle to deal with it even when they have knowledge to bypass.

I'd really like us to explore Isak in a free role more than we currently do.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Yeah, thought that was a fair analysis from the TiFo pod. It also incited a deep fear in me that Villa have provided a blueprint for everyone else in how to beat us this season. Need to hope that the result was as much/more about us having a shitter with very low performance levels, rather than it being a demonstration of us being well and truly sussed.

Wonder if Howe will hold his nerve and stick with the 4-3-3...

There is definitely a blueprint there, but without the tactical flexibility and the correct players it's difficult to execute. Brighton are potentially a difficult prospect later in the season.

I think with Villa as well it was a combination of them having their best game of the season and us having our worst. Tactically Emery got it spot on, but we may have got away with it if our performance levels weren't so bad. 

Don't listen to that Tifo podcast as I don't listen to podcasts really but gave that one a listen. The host grates on me, painfully unfunny and relentlessly boring with a boring voice to match. The other two I didn't mind.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Slightly annoying that Tifo haven't featured us more or less at all on that podcast, then make it the main feature when we finally get well beaten mind.

There was quite a lot of complimentary stuff in there as well tbf. It's also the first good chunk of the podcast so you can bin off the rest of it thereafter. 

28 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Don't listen to that Tifo podcast as I don't listen to podcasts really but gave that one a listen. The host grates on me, painfully unfunny and relentlessly boring with a boring voice to match. The other two I didn't mind.

Aye, he's insufferable. 

We should have an N-O podcast tbh. Different posters on as guests every week. 

I think it’s fortunate not many teams on our schedule have the players to play the Brighton/Villa way.

Think the way to beat that is to sit a bit deeper and press a bit less. 

I feel like rather than focusing on dropping deeper in certain games, Howe will primarily want to work on ways to make our press more effective. I think there are definitely games where we can settle into more of a mid while keeping our strengths intact, personally. 

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's like he thinks he has to constantly redirect things the others say into comic bits. He's so bloody annoying man. Just shut up :lol: 

4 minutes ago, buzz said:

It's like he thinks he has to constantly redirect things the others say into comic bits. He's so bloody annoying man. Just shut up :lol: 

Joe Devine is great. 

25 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I feel like rather than focusing on dropping deeper in certain games, Howe will primarily want to work on ways to make our press more effective. I think there are definitely games where we can settle into more of a mid while keeping our strengths intact, personally. 

A lot of teams are doing that by having more players in the central spaces in a "box midfield" to stack out the middle.  That's what Villa did to us. It was often 4 or 5 in the middle with us only having 3. That's an easy overload. 

On 18/04/2023 at 11:33, HaydnNUFC said:

Pretty much my feelings towards their YouTube output too tbh. The main host is basically a pretentious hipster who I suspect doesn’t actually like football, apart from in an ironic sense. He’s basically wound up in football journalism, to be a knob due to the music press which previously would have employed that kind of twonk, has died a death.

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

Please let that put to bed any notion that Longstaff is not an integral part in the engine of our midfield three. He let Bruno and Joelinton run riot.

He might not be the most composed of finishers, and yes he seems to get caught in possession every couple of games, but off the ball he's absolutely vital.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Please let that put to bed any notion that Longstaff is not an integral part in the engine of our midfield three. He let Bruno and Joelinton run riot.

He might not be the most composed of finishers, and yes he seems to get caught in possession every couple of games, but off the ball he's absolutely vital.

they all get caught man. Nobody is 100%. 

I don’t know what this will mean for our future 11 and I’m all about upgrading, but put some respect on these guys!

Edited by Kanji

Offer Schar and Burn 2 year extensions, Wilson 1 year (sorry but he is running out of time, gets on with eddie so may want to join coaching staff?), move on Kraft and Manquillo, whom both have been decent servants ultimately but won't be needed. 

• 3 weeks later...