West Ham 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 18/01/2014 - Post-match reaction from page 37

Neil

Would have been f***ing horrendous if we'd lost that after the first half.

But we didn't? We won...:dowie:

Not like we did a Southampton earlier! Ifs and buts over a very good result, no need to put a negative spin on things.

How on earth have you managed to construe my comment as 'negative spin' you utter, utter loon. It was an appraisal for how dominant we were and how lucky Wham would have been to get a result.

Not like we did a Southampton earlier! Ifs and buts over a very good result, no need to put a negative spin on things.

The point is we could've made it far easier for ourselves. Making idiotic substitutions in the second half doesn't help matters either.

Very glad it wasn't Haidara who came on yet again today. Dummett was a bit more solid than Santon for that last quarter of an hour.

Why? He's better than Dummett.

I honestly don't believe he is. I think Haidara has potential but defensively he's behind Dummett for me.

Out of interest, did the people complaining about Shola coming on watch the game? In the second half West Ham were bypassing the midfield by launching the ball over them. Anita wasn't as involved in the second half as he was in the first half. Shola actually won headers from Krul's kicks (we'd won next to none before he came on). Shola helped us hold on to the ball longer. Is Shola great? No but until we get a striker who can win aerial battles and hold up the ball he's unfortunately the best we've got at doing that.

How on earth have you managed to construe my comment as 'negative spin' you utter, utter loon. It was an appraisal for how dominant we were and how lucky Wham would have been to get a result.

Just seemed a strange comment. Any defeat after playing so well would be horrendous.

Guest bimpy474

Very glad it wasn't Haidara who came on yet again today. Dummett was a bit more solid than Santon for that last quarter of an hour.

I honestly don't believe he is. I think Haidara has potential but defensively he's behind Dummett for me.

Obvious to me that Dummett came on as he is better in the air, seeing as we were playing the luftwaffe 2nd half, it was an ok sub to make.

I thought Dummett was poor positionally and was backing off Downing a lot

Guest bimpy474

Just seemed a strange comment. Any defeat after playing so well would be horrendous.

The first half was excellent, our second goal was brilliant and the best i've seen from us in ages.

The secong half was god awful, why is it you can't grasp that without thinking it's not as straight forward as that.

Out of interest, did the people complaining about Shola coming on watch the game? In the second half West Ham were bypassing the midfield by launching the ball over them. Anita wasn't as involved in the second half as he was in the first half. Shola actually won headers from Krul's kicks (we'd won next to none before he came on). Shola helped us hold on to the ball longer. Is Shola great? No but until we get a striker who can win aerial battles and hold up the ball he's unfortunately the best we've got at doing that.

Ya Shola was decent to be fair. IIRC he won the header leading up to that last free kick too

The point is we could've made it far easier for ourselves. Making idiotic substitutions in the second half doesn't help matters either.

They fluked a goal on half time and typical Fat Sam, pilled long balls into box and tried to bully and fight their way to points but we stood up to it. West Ham will be full of excuses of injuries or missed chances or whatever not but end if the day they were second best at home for long periods. We always had another gear in us.

Guest BenArfa10

We dominated the first half and could have scored at least 3-4 with Sissoko's and Cabaye's chance. Two minutes before their goal we had complete control of possession and must have strung about 40 of them together. 40 seconds left and we go and give them a way back into the game. Thought they pressured us in the second half but never really tested Krul too much. C.Cole's and Carroll's chances should have been buried and those two chances probably sum up why WHU are near the bottom. I always thought we could break on them if we made a couple of right passes out from the back. Ben Arfa came on and didn't really do as much as I expected and was surprised to see he seemed a little less selfish in his retention of the ball, knocking it off to nearby teammate when he'd usually try and bomb past 4 players. In the end though Carroll clipped Benny, we got a FK and Cabaye does what he does by knocking past Adrian. It was a deserved win with some scary moments only brought about by our own lack of concentration aka Steven Taylor. To sum it up Cabaye is class and we need him to see out the season. Thought Remy looked somewhat back up to scratch for around 55 minutes. Held the ball up well in the first half, linked play and got himself a goal. It was good to actually see him participating in the game today.

Krul - 6

Yanga-Mbiwa - 7

Williamson - 7

S. Taylor - 7

Santon - 6

Sissoko - 6

Cabaye - 8

Tiote - 7

Anita - 7

Gouffran - 6

Remy - 7

Guest bimpy474

`Shola helped us hold on to the ball longer. `

obvious he brought shola on to counter AC coming on(at set pieces).  choice was gouffran or anita off?

radio seemed to think their goal was taylors fault, not wiliiamson OG .....anyone clear that up?

It was a Williamson OG, not Willo's fault as it just hit him.

It was Saylor fault though, he got under the ball and missed the clearing header.

`Shola helped us hold on to the ball longer. `

obvious he brought shola on to counter AC coming on(at set pieces).  choice was gouffran or anita off?

radio seemed to think their goal was taylors fault, not wiliiamson OG .....anyone clear that up?

It was Saylor's fault. 100%, nth to do with Willo.

Shola did ok tbh.

They fluked a goal on half time and typical Fat Sam, pilled long balls into box and tried to bully and fight their way to points but we stood up to it. West Ham will be full of excuses of injuries or missed chances or whatever not but end if the day they were second best at home for long periods. We always had another gear in us.

Completely missing the difference in our game from the first half and the second. Don't tell me you weren't shitting yourself when Cole and Carroll missed those sitters at 2-1. It was not a good second half performance.

It was Saylor fault though, he got under the ball and missed the clearing header.

Krul was stuttering as well off his line mind. I thought he could have done better, bit quicker and stronger.

Was just a very sloppy goal to concede all around, especially the timing of it.

Guest strongbow69

The first half was excellent, our second goal was brilliant and the best i've seen from us in ages.

The secong half was god awful, why is it you can't grasp that without thinking it's not as straight forward as that.

spot on, if that match isn't an indictment of pardews negative tactics and use of players I don't know what is. Dominating and winning a game to containing and holding on. Don't give credit for the first half and ignore the debacle of the second. We won I,m happy enough  :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Krul was stuttering as well off his line mind. I thought he could have done better, bit quicker and stronger.

Was just a very sloppy goal to concede all around, especially the timing of it.

Aye, it's a lack of concentration goal. Really annoying as it changes our mindset and more importantly our managers mindset. And not for the better.

Shola did better than his usual effort in that he helped deal with high balls; but the necessity of sitting back and letting the likes James Collins take pot shots was minimal to start with and the negative subs didn't help. The first half was great and we did plenty to win the game but doing this comes back to bite us as much as it benefits.