Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Fact is that Gomes was always an excellent shot-stopper; that's an example of why stats will never tell you the full story.

Even if the took those at a face value, which we shouldn't:

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/goalie-stats.jpg

The top 5 clubs last season have these first choice now.

Courtois

Hart

Cech

De Gea

Lloris

My opinion is Hart is better than him.

don't agree with that personally Cechs in 3rd place out of those guys imho

in front of Hart and who? he's not better than lloris imo

Can't see how Cech will make that big of a difference in Arsenal's title hopes. He certainly is an upgrade on Ospina but Ospina wasn't bad. Seems incremental to me.

Ospina was poor when he started having a long run. Gomis winner against Swansea = awful goalkeeping. His positioning could be poor and he didn't inspire confidence through the ranks. Cech is an upgrade.

They'll need 2 more additions down that spine to be champions for me. Probably only 1 player and a good season with injuries to really challenge.

Cech was better in 13/14 than Courtois was for Chelsea in 14/15. The few league games Cech did get last season came from periods where Courtois had made mistakes. Cech was pretty much flawless in 13/14.

Cech is better than Hart too imo.

Lloris is excellent as a sweeper-keeper but I think Arsene has abandoned that really high line for the time being anyway.

For me, signing Cech is a relatively small but still significant step. Just that tad bit more composure and calm in big moments. Just that crucial bit less likely to make a mistake. It's these incremental wins, marginal gains that if Arsene can eek out in the transfer market with 1 or 2 additions could make a massive overall change. Cech is that little bit better in every category that will have a decent effect.

INteresting to see how he fares should Arsene go back to that high line.

I think for Arsenal it's better than that, it's a signing that could go along with others to move them into the title race.

Cech might not be 'better' than those other keepers you list but in terms of saves/points there's effectively nothing to choose between them.

I don't think Courtois is any better than Cech right now. You look at some of the games Chelsea drew against the other big teams in the league - I feel like Courtois made a mistake in a lot of them.

Sure Courtois could improve and last season was his first as a real Chelsea player and his first with a side expected to win the league. But right now I don't think he's any better than Cech.

Cech will also get those defenders playing better, because he actually talks to his defenders, and has a go at them if they aren't up to par.

Sczesny just looked like a little kid back there. Ospina didn't really have that authority either. Not sure what his English was like.

Cech comes in commanding huge respect right off the bat.

I do not believe he will make much difference at Arsenal whatsoever. Maybe, like, 2 points. Or more importantly, a 3%-5% save percentage increase.

That's a pretty significant increase tbh.

I don't know why you Brits hate stats so badly. :lol:

Because they can be completely misused, "significant" is an empty term, unless you're talking about statistical significance.

Given that save % is not considered to be a particularly repeatable metric from season to season (i.e you can expect fairly large variance between seasons for an individual 'keeper - even great ones), 'significance' is a fairly hollow term to apply to such a difference.

Especially given that save % is dependent upon a number of factors, notably shot quality, which is tricky to pin down and compare between teams (current expected goals models are not really up to scratch).

When did James Beattie become a first team coach at Swansea?  :lol:

Anyway ... he says they're transfer work is pretty much done.

What an utter calamity we are as a club.

Cech was better in 13/14 than Courtois was for Chelsea in 14/15. The few league games Cech did get last season came from periods where Courtois had made mistakes. Cech was pretty much flawless in 13/14.

Cech is better than Hart too imo.

Lloris is excellent as a sweeper-keeper but I think Arsene has abandoned that really high line for the time being anyway.

For me, signing Cech is a relatively small but still significant step. Just that tad bit more composure and calm in big moments. Just that crucial bit less likely to make a mistake. It's these incremental wins, marginal gains that if Arsene can eek out in the transfer market with 1 or 2 additions could make a massive overall change. Cech is that little bit better in every category that will have a decent effect.

INteresting to see how he fares should Arsene go back to that high line.

:thup:

Cech is miles better than Ospina man, both as a keeper and as a leader.

:lol: :thup: Can't believe what i'm reading and that's saying something.

Literally no one has said he's not better than Ospina

Nut did.

He didn't. I'll admit it was a little confusingly written, but he means the current #1 for last seasons top 5. i.e. Cech not Ospina.

Just an opinion but he's the 5th best first choice keeper out of last season's top 5.

The top 5 clubs last season have these first choice now.

Courtois

Hart

Cech

De Gea

Lloris

My opinion is Hart is better than him.