away days.......metz

madras

gather round children,are you sitting comfortably,then i'll begin.

we six met up in the forth at midday,moved on to what was cushy's in the station ready for the 2pm train to the smoke.beers and cards on the train,into london for tea time.met up with one of the lads mates from coventry,toon fan,who was coming along with us,across london via several more drinkeries for another train to ramsgate in time for the midnight(i think) sailing to ostende.

to this day i am unbeaten at ferrydancefloorfootball after nicking a ball from the kiddies ball pit.the game got a little rough and boisterous as the beer kicked in and the lax security by the bar staff made for a few freebies.into ostende very early to be met by the belgian ss complete with snarling dogs to "usher" 30 or so of us to the brussels train.brussels for the rush hour and we were a tad deshevilled.starting to feel the cold as we hadn't had a drink for about 2 hrs by this stage.the train to luxembourg was a commuter job and most of us dropped staright off to sleep only to be woke by the guard telling us the train splits at some point and we were in the wrong half.at this point we took stock around us,all bar us suited and ready for a day at the office and us,been on a 16hr bender,beer breath that ammounted to weapons grade halitosis.the last to wake of our number,slavver down his face,hair sticking up one side and after having just released a beery fart of such depth and thickness that it is rumoured still to be seeping around the low countries,turning milk and choking small animals,looked up at his neighbour,a very sober 50something gent "y'aareet marra...wherewu?"

luxembourg was the coldest my body has ever known,licking a lamp post i couyld feel my tongue start to stick.so 4 of us headed to a bar(about 10am)and the rest to a strip joint.if it wasn't bad enough going to a strip joint at that early hour they made matters worse by getting chucked out after the owner let go 2 "viewers " sharing a booth ,then had to object after the commotion one of them created after his co-boother started pleasuring himself.i bought a sandwich(first food since midday previous)and recieved my change in 3 currencies!!then back on the train for metz.

arrived just before dinner time and straight into a caff for alcahol.very pleasent.on leaving the caff about an hour later the first snowflakes were dropping and the temperature was starting to bite.further up into town,one or two geordie voices to be heard,watched some of the schalke game whilst drinking xmas beer outside.left a bar full of geordie geezers singing"peter reid's got a f***ing monkeys head" to find a quieter bar.the next place ,near deserted and the staff were a youngish (early to mid 20's) lad and lass.banter was cracking and she looked filthy(type of girl who would suck your shit to a point).they had a bar football table there and as the banter went on a couple of the lads challenged her "loser strips".i was her partner and she jumped on me every time we scored,my dilemma,try to win and have her jumping on me and kissing me,or losing and us both getting naked..............problem solved,she was a ringer and scored 9 to my 1,and the other 2 did strip,the cold doing little for their ego's!

back to previous pub as it was on the way to the ground and the geezers hadn't moved,were getting their drinks brought to them and were now doing "a f***ing monkeys got a peter reid's heed"

into the ground,1-1"le poof eric cantona","pogo if you love the toon" and a group of 2 lads and a lass taking foto's of a mackem season ticket,we asked what the story was,turns out the larger of the group had had an altercation with a mackem in cushys the previous staurday,after decking him he also took the aforementioned ticket and planned to take the item round europe with him and send pics back.we looked at the ticket and found it belonged to a work colleague of ours he can become a mr hyde after a drink or two.

after the match we returned to the filthy girl pub but it was soon to shut,filthy went home but her co-worker took us to what he assured us would be the only place we'd be able to get a drink that late.i'm sure it was a gay bar but needs must when beer is called for.as the night went on more geordie voices were added and i've never seen as much powder in one place.off to the train station for direct return to brussles.

two geordie voiced charvas came belting out the station,we thought nowt about it till 10mins later the local plod arrives and rather heavy handedly starts requesting a word with one of our lot.myself and one of the others were just coming back from the bogs as the train pulled in and a couple of the lads were "eyeing" us to just get on the train and get out".we did and felt bad about leaving them but the local plod,to their credit made the train wait but were adamant our friend had to accompany them to the station.his mate,the coventry mag,volunteered to stay with him as he spoke a bit of the lingo and i am forced to admit that unless le chien is actually sur or dans la table,then my french is poor.the rest joined us on the train and off we went.

brussels in the rush hour again,giggled like a fool when a stranger who looked as bad as us approached,"aye".one of us said..he replied "aye,i'm fucked me like" before stumblimg off outside.what were the odds......pretty good it seems!

quiet trip back,evenclubbed together to hire a berth on the ferry so we could have showers and freshen up a bit.

the mrs,who until the previous monday had thought when i said "theres a match mid week" that i meant a home game,rang me to tell me she'd be out when i got back,so offies,chinkees and home just in time to watch fenerbahce beat man utd at old trafford.

canny trip.

ps the lad who was invited by the plod to accompany them was let go with an apalogy as the cctv showed it was the other 2 but all the cops had to go on was"an englishman in a yellow coat"...missed his train though and had to go to strasbourg and fly home for £300.

• 2 years later...

Good read that.

Everyone who's been away must have been in a businessmen/ commuter situation you mention. I remember in Tallinn being thrown out of one bar and being directed to the only bar still open, got the beers in and then had a look around and noticed that other than me and my pissed mates everyone else in the place were having coffee and breakfast on their way to work!

I miss european away trips so much.  :weep:

Is this part of a serial you're writing madras? if so, where's the others. if not, you should.

:thup:

it was an idea but then the original was posted three yers ago and yours is reply no.4.

maybe one night when i'm bored i'll do others. metz was the best trip of all though.

Is this part of a serial you're writing madras? if so, where's the others. if not, you should.

:thup:

it was an idea but then the original was posted three yers ago and yours is reply no.4.

maybe one night when i'm bored i'll do others. metz was the best trip of all though.

shit just realized :lol:

the rest of the forum didn't think much of it then? i guess they were too busy on the Luque thread

Nice read. We should do a series of these on the main site; there'll be hundreds of accounts out there worth reading. I'd love to read, for example, an in-depth analysis of the experiences at say Marseille - being stuck in a cage. Or even the likes of the San Siro, there was 10k of us there that night, it'd be a quality read. Even the smaller games like Olympiakos, there was a pretty violent atmosphere there that night from what i can gather. Could go even further back to the late sixties or even stuff like the Anglo-Italian Cup, if anyone here actually went to those games.

A fan account of these matches accompanied with some photos would be fantastic.

Nice read. We should do a series of these on the main site; there'll be hundreds of accounts out there worth reading. I'd love to read, for example, an in-depth analysis of the experiences at say Marseille - being stuck in a cage. Or even the likes of the San Siro, there was 10k of us there that night, it'd be a quality read. Even the smaller games like Olympiakos, there was a pretty violent atmosphere there that night from what i can gather. Could go even further back to the late sixties or even stuff like the Anglo-Italian Cup, if anyone here actually went to those games.

A fan account of these matches accompanied with some photos would be fantastic.

have to say the atmosphere in metz was great. the locals really took to us. i forgot to mention in my piece going to a butcher/deli for a slice of pizza and the owner shaking my hand and saying how fantastic we were, how we'd taken over the town in good humour ,bought all his produce and filled the coffers of the local bars and cafes whilst showing me the previous nights paper which he translated as "shut the town down the english are coming " and how we were going to destroy the place.

Euro trips were just the best. Had some cracking laughs and good memories of Barca, Inter, Bayer Leverkusen and Juventus.

The Inter trip was probably the best, fabulous atmosphere and very strong lager.

Euro trips were just the best. Had some cracking laughs and good memories of Barca, Inter, Bayer Leverkusen and Juventus.

The Inter trip was probably the best, fabulous atmosphere and very strong lager.

what made metz so good was the travelling and it being a normal place. whereas milan was quick flight there good atmosphere and flight back for me. if we ever get back into europe i'd be more interested in going to the likes of zurich than madrid.

i'm going to do leicester away, "win to stay up" tonight

The Juventus trip was a bit like that as Keith Barret had us staying in this little Alpine town called Souza. The place seemed full of bakeries and lingerie shops. There was a night club though when we got back from the game and they served hot paninis behind the bar. It was a pretty nice autumn day yet all the Italians were wrapped up for the Arctic.

I think Preston tomorrow, might not have the same charm!

what made metz so good was the travelling and it being a normal place. whereas milan was quick flight there good atmosphere and flight back for me. if we ever get back into europe i'd be more interested in going to the likes of zurich than madrid.

:clap2:

I had me photo taken with Gavin Peacock after that game. Considering what was at stake that day, his lofted finish to put us 1-0 up was class.

Was gutted when we sold Gav, definitely one of my favourite players of the Promotion season.

I had me photo taken with Gavin Peacock after that game. Considering what was at stake that day, his lofted finish to put us 1-0 up was class.

Was gutted when we sold Gav, definitely one of my favourite players of the Promotion season.

i thought peacock could have made the england squad.

more was at stake than it seemed as leicester could have got promoted that day.

Leicester away was a mass battle for me and my mates.  We stopped off at Anstey and had a really good dring before travelling into Leicester at the last minute and parking next to the Rugby ground.  We walked through the middle of a square which was surrounded by flats and we were ambushed.  The locals legged it when they realised we weren't backing down but one lad had been put in hospital by that time and missed the match.  The cowards bottled him then they were slaughtered for that, not literally but I would think quite a few were in the same hospital, wankers.

I remember reading the account by Billy Furious about Leicester away. Look forward to it Madras.  :thup:

Mick get some long stories up too. I remember you and madras in the Trent, 'during the war'. You've got shit loads to tell.