Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't he is totally inept creatively. He made some useful runs and a few incisive passes, as well as whipping in some good free kicks and corners.

I think taking the blinkers off from the spacky behaviour in the derby, on the evidence of one game it's a good acquisition on a free.

Guest firetotheworks

I can't get why compare Jack to Yohan. It should be Siems role isnt it? Colback seems  more like a replacement for Tiote and/or Anita to me.

:thup: Colback is there to fulfil a completely different role. As you say, the creativity should come from elsewhere, i.e Cabella & De Jong.

Time will tell. My money is on him being Cabaye's replacement in Pardew's mind.

Guest neesy111

Takes a decent corner like. Can't remember the last player we had that could manage that. Nobby maybe? Clearly hasn't been versed it the way of the long willy yet.

Barton?

Barton's weren't even very good, just Carroll used to make something from them.

This. His floaters were made to look decent only by Carroll. Without him, they come at the most unimaginable slow pace ever.

I don't know why he's been compared to Tiote anyway.

It was clear that Colback's best role was as a box to box. He was a lot worse deeper when Anita went off and he had to do that job.

Even if Colback proves himself to be as good as his defenders say it will be in the box to box role.

I wouldn't trust him over Tiote or Anita as the deepest midfielder.

Box to box player with no creativity or goal scoring threat.

I see his as an Anita alternative due to his lack of threat in the final third.

Agreed.

I don't necessarily have a problem with signing Colback on a free - he looked decent on Sunday and was better than I had expected.  However, my issue is that buying him has effectively stopped us actually fixing the problems we have in central midfield i.e. creativity and he is no better than Tiote, Anita or Sissoko in their preferred positions.

I don't necessarily have a problem with signing Colback on a free - he looked decent on Sunday and was better than I had expected.  However, my issue is that buying him has effectively stopped us actually fixing the problems we have in central midfield i.e. creativity and he is no better than Tiote, Anita or Sissoko in their preferred positions.

We did get Cabella and De Jong TBF, you could argue we'll end up with more attacking threat than when we had Cabaye. Especially if Sissoko is allowed to play centrally.

I don't think there's much to be gained by these debates about whether Colback is the replacement for Cabaye, Tiote, Anita or whoever. Colback offers his own package, and it's a matter of finding the best combination of players.

But one opinion that I really hope has bitten the dust after Sunday was the idea that he's just a hard-working clogger who can't pass the ball.

Guest Roger Kint

http://i.imgur.com/gcIdN42.png

Misleading much  :kasper:

Misleading what? He has already worn #14 so its obviously not squad number related. What is it about? Ex mackems playing for us or something?

I don't think there's much to be gained by these debates about whether Colback is the replacement for Cabaye, Tiote, Anita or whoever. Colback offers his own package, and it's a matter of finding the best combination of players.

But one opinion that I really hope has bitten the dust after Sunday was the idea that he's just a hard-working clogger who can't pass the ball.

Nobody has ever had that opinion.

Being an average footballer doesn't instantly mean you're a clogger who cannot pass a ball.

http://i.imgur.com/gcIdN42.png

Misleading much  :kasper:

Misleading what? He has already worn #14 so its obviously not squad number related. What is it about? Ex mackems playing for us or something?

players who've played for both clubs

We did get Cabella and De Jong TBF, you could argue we'll end up with more attacking threat than when we had Cabaye. Especially if Sissoko is allowed to play centrally.

Nope. I'd rather have Cabaye, HBA & Remy than Cabella, De Jong, Riviere at this juncture.

i think what we called "cabaye's replacement" is the midfielder who can score regularly by picking up the chances created by our lone striker i.e. the one who just behind our striker. The key man in our final third, the finisher of our plays, our focal point.  No way Colback is playing this role.

It must be De Jong.

Just stop shoe-horning players into "replacement" and you've gotten yourself sorted here.

We still lack a central player who plays in the midfield that can dictate our play with intelligent passes and such. Cabella is a great attacking player who we've sorely lacked in the last 6 months, and Siem De Jong is potentially our future club captain and/or a good link-up man who not only is intellgent in the final 3rd but could help us in terms of hold-up, link-up, switching play and being somewhat of an aerial threat in the box - if his resume is anything to go by.

'Ginger Pirlo' according to Adrian Durham :lol:

Jack Colback is England class – his set-pieces are phenomenal. And he’s got bottle as well. This kid isn’t stupid. He’s a Geordie who’s well aware of the passions on Tyneside and Wearside. These fans don’t hold back when it comes to rivalries. Even punching a horse isn’t off limits when it’s Newcastle vs Sunderland. So for a Newcastle fan to make the move from Sunderland to St James’ Park, and on a free transfer – well, you’ve got to admire Colback’s balls.

And check out his Newcastle debut. Sure they lost, but you’ve got to have a small-minded football brain to think there were no positives for Alan Pardew after the match, and Colback was one of them.

He’s the Ginger Pirlo, trusted with the set-pieces, and delivering good service with most of them. I like this kid, and I can’t help thinking that if he’d come through at Arsenal, Liverpool or even the 'boutique' academy at Southampton, Colback would have had an England call-up by now. At Sunderland he was forced to play at full back, and a succession of different managers never got the best out of him consistently until Gus Poyet turned up. He’s a central midfielder who can pass, and who can deliver a deadly set-piece. Go and watch him, Roy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2728574/Wayne-Rooney-Manchester-United-s-natural-leader-Ginger-Pirlo-Jack-Colback-deserves-England-call-Jordan-Henderson-Steven-Gerrard.html