Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There are better midfield players than Colback in the England squad, but there's a situation vacant in the anchor role. Colback isn't a clear fit for that role, but neither is Henderson.

It could happen. He's still got a long career ahead of him.

He looks like he could potentially be a great cm,  he showed glimpses of his ability on the ball to push the team forward. He just needs to impose himself on the game a bit more, as he appeared to drift in and out of the play. Would be a great partner for a more deeper midfielder like anita and tiote if he could take control the play to a greater extent.

I don't necessarily have a problem with signing Colback on a free - he looked decent on Sunday and was better than I had expected.  However, my issue is that buying him has effectively stopped us actually fixing the problems we have in central midfield i.e. creativity and he is no better than Tiote, Anita or Sissoko in their preferred positions.

We did get Cabella and De Jong TBF, you could argue we'll end up with more attacking threat than when we had Cabaye. Especially if Sissoko is allowed to play centrally.

Nope. I'd rather have Cabaye, HBA & Remy than Cabella, De Jong, Riviere at this juncture.

I'd much rather have those three if they were allowed to play, but Ben Arfa isn't and wasn't really allowed to last season either.  Assuming Cabella and De Jong will start consistently I think they'll probably offer more assists and goals than Cabaye and a mostly benched Ben Arfa.  Though obviously I doubt Riviere is going to give us what Remy did.

There are better midfield players than Colback in the England squad, but there's a situation vacant in the anchor role. Colback isn't a clear fit for that role, but neither is Henderson.

Henderson is a better athlete though and can cover ground much quicker I would imagine. They don't even play the same position though, I'm not really sure where the comparison comes from.

It's quite funny how the discussions around Colback have changed since he was linked then signed to now after one game.

:lol:

I think we got an alright player, good age and on a free. Looking forward to seeing if there is more to him than I've previously thought, but he was decent against City. Probs our most effective player for that game which is a great start.

Henderson is a better athlete though and can cover ground much quicker I would imagine. They don't even play the same position though, I'm not really sure where the comparison comes from.

Well the comparison arose on the hypothetical that they were competing for the anchor role in the England team. Neither are ideally suited, but neither was Gerrard.

At the moment, Henderson seems to be the only candidate, but tbh, I'm really not sure what Henderson is. He strikes me as a player of modest natural talent who has added lots of bits to his game by dint of hard work. All credit to him for that, but now and then those bits look a bit shaky. He has a good all round game, but he hasn't really imposed himself in the England side. When a young player gets his chance, you really want to see him give everyone the message - this is where I belong. The naturally gifted players like Barkley, Wilshere and the Ox have exuded that confidence from the start, but I haven't seen that from Henderson. That anchor position carries a lot of responsibility, but does Henderson really want that? At Liverpool, he seems to have a much freer role.

I've not seen Colback in the anchor role, but he can tackle, he reads the game well and he feeds the ball forward to his team-mates pretty well. What also impressed me on Sunday was his composure. It was a big game for him, with a lot of pressure on his shoulders as the defecting mackem. The opposition was very strong, but he seemed relaxed and just played his natural game. So I think if he had a chance at international level, he wouldn't freeze.

He had to be the deepest midfielder when Anita went off and we lost any sort of impetus and struggled to get the ball from City for a more extended period of time than we had all game.

He's not cut out for that role as far as I'm concerned, needs to play a bit further up if he has to play.

He was moving the ball up-field first time and switching play VERY quickly throughout the match. He and Anita were using the ball very well when they had to. Pet peeve of mine is the time it takes for a player to switch play or get the ball up field, which we generally are slow at. Anita and Cabaye always moved it quickly, it was nice to see Colback do the same.

He played well on Sun, kept ball well and got stuck in but we need better in there. He is just average. Tbf he played better than I thought he was capable of, seems tidy in posession and probably useful as a squad member but not a starter long term

Guest firetotheworks

I referred to him as the Red Lion of Killingworth at the bar on Sunday...completely beer influenced nickname.

I'm peaking hard at the thought of someone referencing Killingworth on the other side of the Atlantic.