Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Out of all the players we've had that fall under the 'what could have been category' this guy is still the ultimate one for me, more than Hugo Viana and Merino. It was like right player, wrong time, wrong manager, broken leg. All those things have either created a mysterious cult hero due to absence and resentment towards ownership or robbed us of 4 years of what could have been one of the most talented players to play for us in a decade. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, OCK said:

Out of all the players we've had that fall under the 'what could have been category' this guy is still the ultimate one for me, more than Hugo Viana and Merino. It was like right player, wrong time, wrong manager, broken leg. All those things have either created a mysterious cult hero due to absence and resentment towards ownership or robbed us of 4 years of what could have been one of the most talented players to play for us in a decade. 

I’d say he is the most naturally gifted player I’ve seen live in our colours, so so talented.

10 minutes ago, astraguy said:

How this thread is still getting bumped after so many years is so bizarre,Dude was given loads of chances and wasted them all

And yet, people still want to talk about him.

Say what you like but he captured the imagination of many nufc fans, faults and all

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, astraguy said:

How this thread is still getting bumped after so many years is so bizarre,Dude was given loads of chances and wasted them all

Soap and water for your filthy mouth young man!

11 minutes ago, astraguy said:

I feel blessed that we had him here and got to see him. His skill was breathtaking and had me out of my seat more than any other player since Ginola.

That for me is priceless and his impact on my life has left much more of a legacy than most other players.

If that’s wasted chances then let’s have a few more players ‘waste’ their chances please. 

3 minutes ago, NE27 said:

And yet, people still want to talk about him.

Say what you like but he captured the imagination of many nufc fans, faults and all

We love a talnted aloof French player like. Not N'Zogbia though. 

Just now, OCK said:

We love a talnted aloof French player like. Not N'Zogbia though. 

We love giving talented aloof french players stick for being lazy cunts.....

....and then reminiscing fondly in the future when we have shelvey and Isaac Hayden putting in the hard shifts, sucking all joy out of your football dreams.

Felt harsh digging on jonjo there like, but you know, Ben arfa!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

english please?

Bro ... right click on the page of the article and select translate to English.

Edited by KaKa

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I was sure I read Hatem say he had no love from his dad so he lashed out a lot. Either way flawed geniuses are the best kind imo.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/jan/16/hatem-ben-arfa-father-love

Ah, yes. I remember reading that back in the day.

It's great self awareness that he could recognise the issues that caused him, but unfortunately he just never seemed able to overcome it.

He really needed a coach that was very patient, but most just don't have that luxury with the pressure they are under themselves. Someone like Eddie would probably have been ace for him.

15 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Absolutely, I think Eddie would have got the best out of him. No matter what he achieved I still got to watch him live and it’s some of my best memories. I’ve seen Ronaldo (7) and I don’t think I’d get the same excitement out of watching him for us as I did with Hatem 

I absolutely loved Hatem man. Unbelievable talent. It's why I find the whole thing quite sad.

However, I guess he's quite fortunate he even managed to get as far as he did, and has had a pretty long career all things considered.

14 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Just on the English reporting of that interview, I do think it’s slightly sad that the only thing people measure a player on is Medals/trophies. There’s more to football than that imo. 

I always argue about this with one of my good friends that goes on about winning things, and says he can't fault a player going to a team to win things even if they don't play much.

I'd much rather stay at a club that sees me as an important piece and feature regularly. I don't get it. I can't do all that training and not play and continue to improve. Unless I'm a key piece of a big team, they can keep their medals and trophies.

Think the whole thing is so overblown. There's so much that goes into winning things that is out of your control as an individual player in any team sport. Being a professional athlete is the win already, anything else after that is a bonus.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah agree, I think though if you removed that mentality he had, almost childlike, you don’t get the magic moments that we saw from him. He’s scored one of the best PL goals ever imo

His one at home to Villa was my favourite. You'd never tell that was his weaker foot. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That was a crazy goal, an absolute rocket . He’s got one of the best highlight reels of all time. The one he scored for Nice where he beat like 6 players was ridiculous 

Remember his assist at home to Norwich? Right wing on the half way line, nutmeg, drops the shoulder and threads in Ba for the winner.