Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Don’t think ASM would have been effective in that team either. In this one, he’s the star, not sure he’d have been to Cisse, Ba, Cabaye’s strengths the way he holds on to the ball. I know you could argue ASM doesn’t have those players around him but I don’t see that in his game.

I'm positive I remember Ben arfa always going back for a another bite after skinning a player and it being fairly annoying.

But he was far more effective than ASM and was a dream to watch when he was in the mood.

As has been mentioned in this thread, when the ball was at his feet it was almost like that Harry Enfield skit where he glues to ball to his foot[emoji38]

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I'm positive I remember Ben arfa always going back for a another bite after skinning a player and it being fairly annoying.

But he was far more effective than ASM and was a dream to watch when he was in the mood.

As has been mentioned in this thread, when the ball was at his feet it was almost like that Harry Enfield skit where he glues to ball to his foot[emoji38]

Was that when it was booted in the air and he just brought it down under his studs? Sure there’s a video of it. Some boy. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Always love how people play down the Bolton goal as ‘all he did was run in a straight line’. :lol:

If it was that easy we’d see goals like that every week, I don’t think I’ve seen one like it. The balance, pace, composure. Personally prefer it to the Blackburn one.

It's the little dink over the defenders foot before he takes the shot that makes it for me, how do you do that at that pace??

10 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Whenever I speak to another Newcastle fan I use Ben Arfa as the yardstick, if they criticise him then I consider them to be

1) full of shit and

2) not a lover of football 

Haha I do the same!

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Hardly 'going after' Ben Arfa's dribbling... 

I'm merely saying ASM is more skilful at dribbling, which he is. It doesn't mean he's as effective. HBA was a more effective dribbler because he didn't do unnecessary posturing or tricks. However, he wasn't as skilful.

Was definitely on the money when I said this forum had a HBA cult :lol:

Come into the light, Carol-Anne

12 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Villa away was my fav performance of his. He abolutely destroyed that Villa fullback, i was at the game and it was magic

Class performance, I remember Trevor Francis on co-commentary being almost giddy watching him. My number 1 is still away to WBA when he scored the third. He also had 2 or 3 almost-Bolton goals in the second half, going on runs that were absolutely ridiculous then not quite finishing. Wish I had the full length match, it was easily our most enjoyable performance with that front 3. 

17 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I was at that WBA away as well. Lucked out in seeing two of his best performances in the flesh. That first half at WBA is the best football we’ve played in years, we were so good 

Aye, Pardew certainly knew how to get a side firing on the front foot.  Could use his nous these days.