Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Absolutely not. 

Unbelievably frustrating player that I could live with because he played an important role and served a purpose in a team regularly struggling to stay up.

Much like Rafa, choosing him when you're in a position of being able to potentially choose anyone is just sadism.

Think unbelievably frustrating is a bit harsh like. I really liked him, he always gave everything, he was versatile and he had good technique. End product let him down and it felt like he didn’t ever reach the level he could have

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Think unbelievably frustrating is a bit harsh like. I really liked him, he always gave everything, he was versatile and he had good technique. End product let him down and it felt like he didn’t ever reach the level he could have

He frustrated the fuck out of me most of the time tbh. I accepted it and at times liked him because he played such an important part of Rafa's set up and would eventually go on nice runs of form, but it felt like to get there you had to put up with loads of misplaced passes and directionless dribbling that ended up with him losing the ball.

It was especially frustrating when paired with us having really low possession.

Either way Newcastle should definitely be aiming for better.

Edited by Kid Icarus

• 11 months later...
On 10/02/2022 at 10:56, Kid Icarus said:

He frustrated the fuck out of me most of the time tbh. I accepted it and at times liked him because he played such an important part of Rafa's set up and would eventually go on nice runs of form, but it felt like to get there you had to put up with loads of misplaced passes and directionless dribbling that ended up with him losing the ball.

It was especially frustrating when paired with us having really low possession.

Either way Newcastle should definitely be aiming for better.

This is totally valid, but there were also a couple seasons there before ASM where the only real reason to watch the games was that you might see Ayoze do something cool.

He didn't score a ton and he could be frustrating, but he also scored some really slick goals and was the only bright spot in a team of absolute cloggers for a while there.

I overrate Ayoze's impact for sure, but he'll always be one of my favorites from that era.

1 hour ago, Darth Crooks said:

I always found the criticism of him being somehow lazy very odd.

In all fairness, he did at times have a tendency to make the last bit of movement which would put him in a good position. Say for example he had the ball in a central position, then passed it wide, he wouldn’t make that run into the box behind the defender to receive the ball again.

He also suffered by not having a clearly defined position. He wasn’t a forward, yet wasn’t a wide a player. Nor was he a true number 10 either.

He’s essentially wasted his career, he could have been so much better. Maybe he never had the right coach, maybe he never had the desire. I don’t know the answer, but I’d like to think that he had the ability to be better. Maybe going back to Spain will help him.

He was practically a child with a massive responsibility and massively exceeded his expectations. 

He left for Leicester under a cloud. He's had his fun and the financial situations make that move look silly but no one can blame him for leaving the old regime. 

I liked him most of the time. (But I bet I slagged him off in this thread several times :lol:)

Edited by La Parka

Imagine playing in the Premier League for best part of 10 years with a year out to win a Championship trophy, winning an FA cup and paying in European competition and being told you've "wasted your career" :lol:

Then again @Stifler I guess the lad isn't up during the day writing on a forum about a guy he doesn't even know, no maybe he's been too busy you know with playing for Premier League football teams, earning more money in a week then what people on here will earn in a year, getting to go home to his wife and child at the end of the day. If he puts in the work then one day when he's at work he might score the winner in a derby, with a bit of good luck he might even score the winner in a cup final. Aye but go ahead, mock the lad on his wasted career, because he's got nothing on any of you. I mean how can compete with half the people on here who one day if they work hard enough and sacrifice all their time possibly including time supporting us, or even valuable family time then one day when some of you go to work you might be promoted to the position of deputy shift supervisor at the Tesco's down the road, or possibly even PA to the PA, to the PA of the big boss.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, 54 said:

Signed for one of the best clubs in Spain on a permanent:

Good for him. Canny servant for us and we made a handy fee. Definitely got better value than Leicester on that deal.

Must be pound for pound one of the best signings we ever made value-wise. He was obviously never worth £30m that we got for him, but he gave us some really good years and scored some important goals.