FIFA

Anderson

Guest Haris Vuckic

Aye it was mint. I think they kind of brought it back with 'Fifa Street' which was shocking but I think a 5 a side or futsal mode has been missing for a while.

Aye, there's still issues there that have been present for at least 5 years now - inability to safely pass it short from a free kick/goal kick, idiotic defensive lines etc. They need to be working on these things, not facial detail for f***s sake. The only aesthetic change I'd really like to see is a revamp of the atmosphere during matches to make the crowds sound a bit less flat, and a complete reworking of the menus so they're more responsive and useful (especially the team selection/formation screen which has been s**** for yonks) couldn't give a f*** about how pretty the gameplay looks.

Said it a million times but the genre is screaming out for a new title to pop-up and challenge EA's complacency. There must be a development team out there who can throw out a better experience than recent FIFA and Pro Evo titles.

I think the main issue is the rights to the player names.If these were available for all companies I'm certain we would see some incredible football games.

However it's just too much of a risk going up against FIFA when you can't even have real players. Wouldn't bother me the slightest but the mass market wouldn't be keen on it.

I think the only way to rival them is to do the ultimate team thing.Create a shitload of fake players who you can buy and sell,make your own team and then actually play in the games.

Imagine a cross between Football Manager and FIFA. Would be an absolute goldmine if you got it right.

No offence, but I totally disagree. Player names mean fuck all when you've got a modding community such as mos  pc gmes have, an  the ultimate team thing is shite and would be forgotten about if the gameplay was up to scratch. It's all about gameplay, but EA seem to have done a very good job of making people forget about that and people now care too much about the pretties, like menu music and the players walking onto the pitch in super 99999999999p.

Ultimate team is massive,it's made them millions of extra $ and the amount of people that play that game mode is huge.

Take that away from the FIFA games and THEY would lose a massive slice of the cake.

Modding player names are all well and good,and tbh, that's exactly what I do.

However I think the larger audience don't want to do that,they want to pick the game up and start playing as Messi or Ronaldo straight away.

Modding community is always going to make up a tiny percentage of users tbh. They're certainly not a lucrative enough customer base for EA to bother pandering to, and they're not a big enough slice of the pie for PES to ever be the #1 game again. It'll never happen, given the rights contract is welded to EA until the end of days.

Konami would have to come up with something special for me to jump ship again. I can't see them ever bringing out a better football game than FIFA, even with FIFA's numerous faults.

You can argue that all day long, and tbh, it could be by far the better football simulation... but it still wouldn't be king, and it never will be. The only chance of FIFA letting go of the crown is if a 3rd contender steps into the fray.

PES will never be the top football game again, it's a different ball game now (what a shit pun). You just need to look at the likes of COD to see that once a game has it's fanbase dragged in and well implemented multiplayer people will keep combing back regardless of the alternatives. Style over substance.

FIFA's got a good foundation anyway, they just need to sort assisted controls to something less arcadey.

I've never found FIFA online 'hateful' like.

Not really played much of 2014 as it's pretty much impossible to find games on manual but it's just like any other game, people will score cheap goals if they're in the game, I highly doubt everyone is honouring some kind of gentleman's code on PES :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

The lob goal from kick off is cheap as owt. I've been caught a couple of times but now go 'Ultra Defensive' temporarily & quickly hit offside trap it prevents it every time. It's just annoying that they leave shit like that in the game.

I don't think I've played many people who actually try to play any football on FUT14 or the world cup mode. They just float long balls over the top and hope that you're centre half scuffs it or that they aren't quick enough.

It's particularly annoying as these are the people with the Barcelona kits or Spain kits & they'll have a team name like TIKITAKA 11 or SKLZboys or something equally abhorrent. I think FIFA need to get out of the habit of making a game where people are happy to take the easy way out and play zero football.

It's been the same for the past 3 games like.

Ultimate team is massive,it's made them millions of extra $ and the amount of people that play that game mode is huge.

Take that away from the FIFA games and THEY would lose a massive slice of the cake.

Modding player names are all well and good,and tbh, that's exactly what I do.

However I think the larger audience don't want to do that,they want to pick the game up and start playing as Messi or Ronaldo straight away.

Yeah on FIFA 13 EA made $300 million just from packs, apparently in the first 1/4 of FIFA 14 they had already made over half of that. When you factor in TOTS/WC packs I dread to think how they're at now for 14.

According to the figures EA released on the 5th anniversary of FUT, the player base is more or less doubling each year and it's by far their most played mode. Now they have rights to Legend players for the next few years as well it's only going to continue growing. I just can't see anyone being able to compete against them.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The lob goal from kick off is cheap as owt. I've been caught a couple of times but now go 'Ultra Defensive' temporarily & quickly hit offside trap it prevents it every time. It's just annoying that they leave s*** like that in the game.

I don't think I've played many people who actually try to play any football on FUT14 or the world cup mode. They just float long balls over the top and hope that you're centre half scuffs it or that they aren't quick enough.

It's particularly annoying as these are the people with the Barcelona kits or Spain kits & they'll have a team name like TIKITAKA 11 or SKLZboys or something equally abhorrent. I think FIFA need to get out of the habit of making a game where people are happy to take the easy way out and play zero football.

It's been the same for the past 3 games like.

Basically, this. It's the attempts to not even try to play that annoyed me in the end. I'll happily get beaten by a superior player, but what is the point if people are just going to find a glitch and just repeatedly hammer it? It's draining.  I really enjoy the online PES, you play some really good people.

The worst part of it is that FUT promotes the glitches. Part of the essence of the game is that your defender will have a bad day & couldn't trap a bag of cement. It works both ways like but sometimes it just won't let you win.

Add that to the shithouses who don't even try to play anything that vaguely resembles football & the online experience can be quite frustrating.

I've never tried PES 14 but if they do a decent PS4 game I'll certainly consider it.

I cannot get into FUT at all like, the idea of players being boosted is just silly for a football game imo. I can see the draw of the card collection aspect of it but it's horribly implemented.

You really don't notice any problems on manual v manual but it's a useless alternative as, like I said, it's too hard to find a game. If they sort that out I'll buy 2015 otherwise I'll probably give it a miss again tbh.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Sometimes FUT can be good but when it's messing with you it's frustrating as owt. It's alright a lot of the time but when it's screwing it's just so obvious in the latest release - particularly on PS4.

I think the regular 'seasons' can be canny online and I've had no bother with it but offline with a mate is when it's best. Performance wise and graphically - plus if he scores a shit goal/tap in at least you can laugh about it.

Would absolutely love PES to put out a game that properly challenges Fifa, but it just seems like there will always be something which holds it back for me.  If they can sort the stats out and make a proper Master League (ala PES 2012/13), I would definitely be more inclined to pick it up.  The Master League on the last one was so shite that I've just stopped playing the game all together; Fifa is streaks ahead in offline modes.

I cannot get into FUT at all like, the idea of players being boosted is just silly for a football game imo. I can see the draw of the card collection aspect of it but it's horribly implemented.

You really don't notice any problems on manual v manual but it's a useless alternative as, like I said, it's too hard to find a game. If they sort that out I'll buy 2015 otherwise I'll probably give it a miss again tbh.

This is exactly why I can't be arsed with FUT. It's just a ball ache to maintain and the idea of boosted players makes it feel like bullshit, i.e. extra pace to an already stupidly quick player. I love playing with actual teams, I'd be up for FUT if the cards/fitness/boosting stuff wasn't there.

• 3 weeks later...

Never will play FUT To be honest. I'm probably one of a few who still plays career mode on these games.

I stopped picking it up when it became obvious they didn't give a shit about Be a Pro.