Other clubs’ stadiums

Disco

• 1 month later...

Coventry City have announced a deal that will see the University of Warwick provide land to the football club with a vision of building the club a new stadium.

The Sky Blues spent the 2019-20 season in Birmingham, playing their home matches at St Andrew's after failing to strike a deal with Ricoh Arena owners Wasps Group.

The club are currently in negotiations to return to the stadium for next season, but do have an option to remain in Birmingham should they wish.

But they have today confirmed an agreement with the University of Warwick that will see them acquire land, south of the city, and say that they will soon provide supporters with detailed plans for an environmentally-friendly stadium.

The development will allow the Sky Blues to finally own their own stadium and, in doing so, pocket full matchday revenue from games.

It is thought that the plan, that could take five years, will see a stadium with a capacity of around 20,000 built, potentially rising to 35,000 if required.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Got to say Wembley was everything I expected it to be. Organisationally excellent but I found the setting very soulless and sterile. Surrounded by empty flats, chain restaurants/cafes and chain retail - an extremely artificial space. A lot of it might be down to it being a major tournament and how tightly the branding is controlled - but the exclusion of scarf sellers, food hawkers, independent retail etc only exacerbated the soullessness of it all. This could and should be easily fixed.

Don't get me wrong placemaking is hard - and football stadiums are particularly difficult to do from scratch because what's great about them (history, the nostalgia that goes with the setting, the wear and tear over the years) is basically impossible to augment. But it could have been better. The elevated nature of the stadium is particularly bad - making it feel detached entirely from the surrounding streets that have now been built around it. No way to just walk around and take it in. Poor glimpsed views between all the flats and buildings also make it hard to get a feel for the scale and architecture. This is like having the worst of both worlds - none of the closeness and relation to the city that SJP has, but also none of the 'landed spaceship' visual drama that some of the big out-of-town stadia have.

Inside was better than I expected it to be considering how much I hate bowl stadiums. View was great despite being miles away - and it held the atmosphere well enough for a stadium of this type. Glad that I went there for a proper occasion. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest HTT II

Wembley and the Emirates are by far the best stadiums I’ve been to in modern times, mind, in the last decade or so I’ve mostly been visiting Gateshead’s stadium or other non league grounds when following them away… Wembley is such a dump though, the whole area surrounding the stadium especially.

Edited by HTT II

On 08/07/2021 at 16:09, ponsaelius said:

Got to say Wembley was everything I expected it to be. Organisationally excellent but I found the setting very soulless and sterile. Surrounded by empty flats, chain restaurants/cafes and chain retail - an extremely artificial space. A lot of it might be down to it being a major tournament and how tightly the branding is controlled - but the exclusion of scarf sellers, food hawkers, independent retail etc only exacerbated the soullessness of it all. This could and should be easily fixed.

Don't get me wrong placemaking is hard - and football stadiums are particularly difficult to do from scratch because what's great about them (history, the nostalgia that goes with the setting, the wear and tear over the years) is basically impossible to augment. But it could have been better. The elevated nature of the stadium is particularly bad - making it feel detached entirely from the surrounding streets that have now been built around it. No way to just walk around and take it in. Poor glimpsed views between all the flats and buildings also make it hard to get a feel for the scale and architecture. This is like having the worst of both worlds - none of the closeness and relation to the city that SJP has, but also none of the 'landed spaceship' visual drama that some of the big out-of-town stadia have.

Inside was better than I expected it to be considering how much I hate bowl stadiums. View was great despite being miles away - and it held the atmosphere well enough for a stadium of this type. Glad that I went there for a proper occasion. 

just goes to show how lucky we are up here, even if SJP  does need a real scrub up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, jarrovianmag said:

13000 of us there, but you have never seen a mackem

When they scored it was the loudest noise I'd heard inside a football ground and it wasn't even full. Saying that I'd love to hear what it sounds like from the away seats at SJP when we score.

Edited by madras

Today I'm gonna present you Arena da Baixada, Athletico Paranaense's stadium, it's considered the most modern stadium in Latin America since 99, even after the 2014 world cup when we got arenas all over the country ours is still a standout, it's the only one with a retractable roof on Latin America.

First the version I knew in 1996 as a kid, common stadium for the era in Brazil. 

Spoiler

1994-ENFIM-EM-CASA1.jpg

36174_14176948600_thumb-5-3.jpg

In 97 we tore it all down and in 99 were debuting this version of the stadium (thats the 05 version with the lower opositte stands build (there was a wall there at first) and with chairs on every seat.

Spoiler

8991934.jpg

img_como_chegar_a_arena_da_baixada_em_cu

2018041821040_970445dbdf4fcbe6688e852a24

Now we have the 2014 WC version:

Spoiler

Est%C3%A1dio-Atl%C3%A9tico-Paranaense-A%

5d79afb99be46.jpeg

f73341dd-600d-46b9-9c8f-0bf0285ccde2.jpe

whatsapp-image-2020-02-02-at-17.19.20.jp

The new stadium is amazing, but lacks our colors (100% gray) and the new food is shit, in the 99 version there were so many options for amazing food, now the whole stadium sells the same shitty food. 

Gonna leave a few videos, first a tour of the stadium and then a few of us making noise. You're gonna understand why I said Bruno is gonna feel at home with the noise and atmosphere NUFC fans can create on St.James

The tour (coudn't find a english version, sorry)

And a few videos of game days (second video covers some games played almost 20years ago, all raw footage from the stands)

A few videos of this years Brazilian cup final, we had lost the first game 4x0 but our fans are insane and always chant 90min no matter what, even the national tv was talking about how crazy the atmosphere was. The last video was made by the club, and the club-fans relationship is REALLY poor, so it's amazing we got one of those. 

and last but not least, the roof opening and closing:

Edited by JNK

2 hours ago, JNK said:

Today I'm gonna present you Arena da Baixada, Athletico Paranaense's stadium, it's considered the most modern stadium in Latin America since 99, even after the 2014 world cup when we got arenas all over the country ours is still a standout, it's the only one with a retractable roof on Latin America.

First the version I knew in 1996 as a kid, common stadium for the era in Brazil. 

Hide contents

1994-ENFIM-EM-CASA1.jpg

36174_14176948600_thumb-5-3.jpg

In 97 we tore it all down and in 99 were debuting this version of the stadium (thats the 05 version with the lower opositte stands build (there was a wall there at first) and with chairs on every seat.

Reveal hidden contents

8991934.jpg

img_como_chegar_a_arena_da_baixada_em_cu

2018041821040_970445dbdf4fcbe6688e852a24

Now we have the 2014 WC version:

Reveal hidden contents

Est%C3%A1dio-Atl%C3%A9tico-Paranaense-A%

5d79afb99be46.jpeg

f73341dd-600d-46b9-9c8f-0bf0285ccde2.jpe

whatsapp-image-2020-02-02-at-17.19.20.jp

The new stadium is amazing, but lacks our colors (100% gray) and the new food is shit, in the 99 version there were so many options for amazing food, now the whole stadium sells the same shitty food. 

Gonna leave a few videos, first a tour of the stadium and then a few of us making noise. You're gonna understand why I said Bruno is gonna feel at home with the noise and atmosphere NUFC fans can create on St.James

The tour (coudn't find a english version, sorry)

And a few videos of game days (second video covers some games played almost 20years ago, all raw footage from the stands)

A few videos of this years Brazilian cup final, we had lost the first game 4x0 but our fans are insane and always chant 90min no matter what, even the national tv was talking about how crazy the atmosphere was. The last video was made by the club, and the club-fans relationship is REALLY poor, so it's amazing we got one of those. 

and last but not least, the roof opening and closing:

Stop it, you’re quickly becoming one of my fave posters man!

Lovely stuff. There was a lad on here who used to live in Curitiba I’m sure, name escapes me though.

Main knowledge I have of At. Paranaense is from the 2013 when there was massive riot in the stands at the end of the season against someone or other and Im sure one (or more) people died. I was in Brazil on holiday and it was all over the news and remember speaking to locals and even they were saying it was particularly bad compared to usual.