Butt's Performance Tonight

Crumpy Gunt

Couldn't agree more. Probably the most over-rated player I've seen for Newcastle in decades.

After saying that, Parker is obviously still our best player you know......  :roll:

I don't think he is overrated, the reason we think he is overrated is because we rate him by his performances last season when he played as a defensive mid, he was indeed superb in that position as a holding midfielder, though his problem is sometimes that he releases the ball too slow so we can't do counter attacks, this season he has been going forward and though individually he looks better on paper (because he can score goals) our central mid as a whole doesn't work as well.

Butt played very well, and Emre - for a large chunk of the game - did too.

But still we are talking about Parker as if he is a DM - he's not, really. his game is different to that. Our coaching isn't good enough to get Parker and Emre to play well together, because idiots liek Roeder try to make Parker a holding player.

i couldn't see the match - but butt's performances and attitude this season has really surprised me pleasantly!

i don't see any need to attack parker just because butt is doing alright though....

Guest nufc_geordie

Nicky Butt has easily been our best player fort the last 4-6 weeks when he has been playing regularly. In fact, I would even go as far as saying the more games he is playing the closer he is getting to his Man Utd from. In the ideal world and with a good coach, players ahould be played on merit, but what is the betting that when Parker is fit, Nicky Butt will be replaced, wrongly IMO.

I still believe however that Parker and Butt would be a better pairing than Parker and Emre or Emre and Butt. Emre, as I have previoulsy stated, is a luxury player. He performs 20-30 yards deeper on the pitch that he should do. The likes of Paul Scholes, Joe Cole etc. all perform there tidyness and tricks on the edge of the opposition box whereas Emre does it closer to the halfway line. With Butt sitting and Parker off the reigns I believe we have a more combative and a more driving midfield witth Parker doing what he is good at making late runs into the box.

However, I am not Glenn Roeder......

Am I the only person here who thinks Butt has done OK but no more. His tackling and committment are back where they should be but I find much of his passing poor. When we play the top teams or away in Europe I'd play Butt in a five man midfield but otherwise it's Parker and Emre for me.

Parker this year isn't a shade on the parker of last year! Maybe the jimmy bullard incident?

Butt makes the passes without dithering...they always seem one touch two at most and generally meet their destination. On present form you couldn't break up the butt emre partnership!!

Never liked Parker, decent back-up, nothing more. The fact he is captain means he probably will be in the team again, regardless whether the team plays a whole lot better without him against Pompey and then produce a gutsy performance against a decent Reading team to win from behind without him.

Confidence is growing, if we come back and he's not fit and lose a game that confidence will be shattered. I'd rather stick him right back tbh, therefore he can use his defensive capabilities without slowing down attacks for us. He's also quite nippy and has a good enough engine so would be able to get up and down the wing IMO.

Guest Ridzuan

The thing with Parker is that he can play as a defensive midfield or he can play as attacking midfield.We have seen him scored a goal or two as well as coming close in scoring on a few occassions.Butt meanwhile is a player who is only defensive minded.Its very rare to see him going forward unlike Parker,so either way,both of them are important player to our team and we cant have both of them out and we are going to have a lot of trouble in the middle of the pitch.

Guest Shotgun Mick

We got outplayed in midfield for a long period of the match so they can't be that good.

Butt's lack of pace lets him down on too many occasions, although I don't think I've ever seen him sprint.

Guest nobby peru

Parker hasn't been as good as last year, possibly due to carrying injuries, the lingering effects of glandular fever (which can last a year or more!) and that bullard injury must've shaken him. still have faith in him though.

it's great that butt has been performing well for us at last. not sure who the best 2 of our centre midfield 3 are, but it's important to have the option eh? how about we agree that all 3 are good players?

Agreed. Emre and Butt have been teriffic together.

seconded. my old man has said many times that emre and parker wont work because they both want to do the same job, although parker has been made a dm, that isnt his natural position.

emre has come on leaps and bounds playing alongside butt, and vice versa.

personally, im in no rush for parker to get fit

Guest Gosport Toon

I rate Parker, Butt is playing very well, Emre is an asset offensively but a liability defensively.

Does this team/line-up look sh*t ?

Would probably do ok at home attacking but would admittedly be a bit weak against an aerial threat at the back.

But on form that would be an entertaining team to watch.

No place for Sibi unfortunately !

Given

Nobby                Parker                  Taylor            Duff

Milner                    Butt              Zoggy

Dyer              Emre

Martins