American sports

Guest OmahaNUFC

Guest OmahaNUFC

Is there much of a following for any particular American sport in England?  Is there any TV coverage of American sporting events?

Myself, I've been a life-long Chicago Cubs fan.  Supposedly my great-grandfather was offered a contract to pitch for the Cubs but turned it down for some asinine reason like raising a family.  That's where my family support of the Cubs originated.  I live in Nebraska but went to two playoff games when the Cubs made their ill-fated run in 2003.

I also follow college basketball quite passionately, since the university I graduated from has a decent "mid-major" basketball program (see my avatar), although we lost tonight.  My university also has a very good football program (we don't have an American football team, however) and recently built a very nice venue in downtown Omaha.  I've lost all interest in college American football due to the stupidity in which they determine who plays for the championship.  I passingly pay attention to the NFL, but more and more I view American football as boring and over-hyped.  The NBA is boring as hell.  I've always liked hockey but never gotten into it.

Guest Gemmill

I've been to a few baseball games - SF Giants and Houston Astros - and they were both pretty much snoozefests, and I went to watch the Golden State Warriors solely because Jordan was gonna be playing (for the Wizards or whatever they were called) in his last season.  The game was dire, and Jordan was pap.

In fact the most exciting thing about it was that everyone got a free churro if either team got over 100 points, so once the score got into the 90s, the entire stadium filled with fat Americans ( ;) )was chanting "Chu-rro!  Chu-rro!  Chu-rro!" :lol:  It would be like going to a match and the fans chanting "Bov-ril!  Bov-ril!" in first half injury time.  "There's only one balti pie.  Oooooone balti pie."

Follow the NBA, but not much else. I've always considered learning the rules to American Football... just out of curiosity, but from the outset, it seems really odd. About 16 seconds of "action" every 10 minutes or so? Or am I grossly mistaken?

American Football gets a double header on Sky Sports Xtra on a Sunday. Starts at 6, finishes just after midnight. It's rather tactical and can be a bit of a pain to watch in comparison to free flowing sports. It's a pity that Sky don't take up any of the other big US sports. They seem to give baseball, basketball and hockey and miss for the most part.

American Football gets a double header on Sky Sports Xtra on a Sunday. Starts at 6, finishes just after midnight. It's rather tactical and can be a bit of a pain to watch in comparison to free flowing sports. It's a pity that Sky don't take up any of the other big US sports. They seem to give baseball, basketball and hockey and miss for the most part.

i watch the nfl programmes, they're pretty sweet imo... well, when you sky+ them.

there was soem interest in American Football about  10 years ago but it was only a fad

You can get most US sports on some odd pay channel or another but there is little real  interest or following amongst the Great british public to be honest

Guest Invicta_Toon

football here could learn a lot from the american system of referees and oversight

Yeah right!, stopping the game so they can have fucking commercial break.

not what I was on about, but, stop the game for 20 seconds or let a bad decision cost you a cup?

Guest Invicta_Toon

thats how it starts and it finishes like bloody American Football

just learn to take bad decisions - they even out

yep the pen against you in the cup final comes back in your favour in a meaningless league game

I follow the NBA pretty religiously, although I don't often get to watch it. Every tuesday on 5 at about 1:45 they show a game each week which is nice. I don't have the option of watching or following college ball really....although its always interesting to see whose comin' up for the draft each year....

The superbowl is pretty fun to watch at a bar each year so thats enjoyable....

Haven't read the thread, but I can confirm all American sports are cack. bluedead.gif

I love the way Americans invent a sport that hardly anyone else plays......and then declare themselves world champions in it  bluebiggrin.gif

The NHL always has good fights. The new refereeing technique for fights is not to intervene until one of them has hit the deck. This means you get 5 minutes of exchanging punches, on skates, clowns gloves with big shoulder pads. Its funny, camp but very hard all at the same time.

I've been watching the NFL every week for about 5 years now (although dont support a particular team) it is pure class!

Its on Sky Sports on Sundays from 6 till midnight and on thurdays about 1 am.

Its also on Channel 5 on Sundays and Mondays about 1am (Channel 5 is the best coverage IMO cause theres no breaks)

So thats 5 games a week which is excellent coverage IMO.

I think the popularity of American Football is on the rise again in the UK and its not uncommon to see people with jerseys on around Newcastle from what Ive seen.

The biggest problem with American football in the UK is that at first glance it seems a complicated game people just cant be arsed to learn what its all about.

Once you learn the rules, the basic strategies and some of the intricacies of the game you soon realise its a great game then after a while you get to know all the key players for each team and it just adds an extra dimension to watching it.

I defy anybody to watch the Dallas V New York game from last week and tell me it was 'boring'

John Madden is a Geordie  :thup:  :lol:

Haven't read the thread, but I can confirm all American sports are cack. bluedead.gif

I love the way Americans invent a sport that hardly anyone else plays......and then declare themselves world champions in it bluebiggrin.gif

and when someone DOES get good at it (baseball) they kick them out so its Yanks only

"World Series" my a***

Baseball - Cincinnati Reds.

What's happened to the Baseball on channel 5? I don't get all this draft shit mind you.

It's off-season.

I'm not sure but I think the idea of the draft system is that the worst teams get first pick of the best college players.

I love the way Americans invent a sport that hardly anyone else plays......and then declare themselves world champions in it bluebiggrin.gif

and when someone DOES get good at it (baseball) they kick them out so its Yanks only

"World Series" my a***

Incidentally, sometime next year (I think) the NFL are playing a regular season game in London at Wembley and there was also talk in a recent edition of sports illustrated about the possibility (however slim) of an NFL Franchise outside of the US with Toronto Mexico City, Frankfurt and believe it or not LONDON as the main candidates.

Probably never happen in London but Toronto would be a good bet, but would be very interesting if it did.

I've been watching the NFL every week for about 5 years now (although dont support a particular team) it is pure class!

Its on Sky Sports on Sundays from 6 till midnight and on thurdays about 1 am.

Its also on Channel 5 on Sundays and Mondays about 1am (Channel 5 is the best coverage IMO cause theres no breaks)

So thats 5 games a week which is excellent coverage IMO.

I think the popularity of American Football is on the rise again in the UK and its not uncommon to see people with jerseys on around Newcastle from what Ive seen.

The biggest problem with American football in the UK is that at first glance it seems a complicated game people just cant be arsed to learn what its all about.

Once you learn the rules, the basic strategies and some of the intricacies of the game you soon realise its a great game then after a while you get to know all the key players for each team and it just adds an extra dimension to watching it.

I defy anybody to watch the Dallas V New York game from last week and tell me it was 'boring'

John Madden is a Geordie  :thup:  :lol:

Aye, that Gramatica (sp?) fellah didn't half seem pleased! Don't like the giants so i enjoyed that one. & my beloved Falcons won... they still have an outside chance of playoffs! but prolly not tbh.

"World Series" my a***

Did they kick out Toronto?