Apple

Any Apple Watch users here? Tempted to get one, primarily for leading a more active life, but also to de-tether myself from my phone. Would be interested to hear everyone’s experiences.

The wife and myself got Apple watches at the end of 2019, but apart from being alerted via the watch when a call or a message come in - assuming that your phone isn't within reach - and the ECG option, we haven't really 'unleashed' the potential.

Any Apple Watch users here? Tempted to get one, primarily for leading a more active life, but also to de-tether myself from my phone. Would be interested to hear everyone’s experiences.

If you are into activity and fitness then it’s great as it helps you keep updated on your progress, as well as sharing your progress with others.

Aside from that it’s good for notifications and things like Apple Pay which is easier that getting your phone out, however I’m not sure those little conveniences are enough for everyone to buy it if they aren’t interested in the health related stuff.

If you are not interested in measuring your blood oxygen levels are ECG readings, then the SE version would be a good option which is cheaper.

In all honesty I echo Semtex’s view. It’s great for notifications and tracking fitness, however if you are sat at home and not active as you usually are and that’s not going to change, then it would be best to wait until the situation changes, maybe by then a new one will be out again.

If you are into activity and fitness then it’s great as it helps you keep updated on your progress, as well as sharing your progress with others.

Aside from that it’s good for notifications and things like Apple Pay which is easier that getting your phone out, however I’m not sure those little conveniences are enough for everyone to buy it if they aren’t interested in the health related stuff.

If you are not interested in measuring your blood oxygen levels are ECG readings, then the SE version would be a good option which is cheaper.

In all honesty I echo Semtex’s view. It’s great for notifications and tracking fitness, however if you are sat at home and not active as you usually are and that’s not going to change, then it would be best to wait until the situation changes, maybe by then a new one will be out again.

To be completely honest with you, we paid about £300 for each of the watches, and they'll most definitely be on the Apple conveyor belt of obsoletion soon.

So we wish we'd bought some 'decent' analogue watches for those prices, and at least they'd be useful for a while longer

I’m actually considering one BECAUSE I’ve been so less active recently. Hoping that something trackable and gamified might make me be more active instead of sitting at my desk 8 hours of the day.

I’m actually considering one BECAUSE I’ve been so less active recently. Hoping that something trackable and gamified might make me be more active instead of sitting at my desk 8 hours of the day.

Yeah, if you ambition is to do activity then it can be a good foundation to build upon to get you active, however as I say with gyms shut and such it’s not going to do much use if you then aren’t able to exercise.

Yeah, if you ambition is to do activity then it can be a good foundation to build upon to get you active, however as I say with gums shut and such it’s not going to do much use if you then aren’t able to exercise.

I thought you were referring to a feature I'd missed...

• 1 month later...

New M1 air is stupidly fast compared to my 2013 i5 air, think it's actually faster in chrome than my new Ryzen PC, though I haven't tried it with my usual 30 tabs open. Very interesting to see where apple take these M chips, just wish they kept the magsafe. Its hilarious that there new USB-C charger charges my Android phone at full power with no issues but I can't charge an iphone or ipad with it. Also annoyed they removed the keyboard brightness from the function keys, having to go in to the menu is really frustrating.

Anyone got any recommendations for selling/trading in an iPad, or is eBay the best bet? Replaced my ageing MacBook with one of the new pros at the beginning of the year, but miss having a laptop. New Air has me tempted. Probably just another lockdown impulse purchase I should try and avoid mind.

I recently got work to swap my 2019 13' MBP (16gb ram) for a new M1 MBA, 8gb RAM and I have to say, it's a fucking marvel.

I'm a 30 year Apple user, have had all sorts of Powerbooks, Macbooks, G3s, G4s, G5s, the lot, going right back to an LC, and this is the most impressed i have ever been with a Mac.

The battery life is nothing short of phenomenal. It is fast as fuck, ultra responsive, the keyboard is way, way better than the shit one they just dropped, there's no stupid touchbar, the screen is brilliant (I was worried with it only being 400 nits).

It's the most impressive bang-per-buck computer I've ever used. I use this all day long, hooked up to a 34 inch monitor, BT keyboard and mouse, and it's every bit as responsive as anything Apple made I've used.

All this and never having to hear a fan - because there isn't one - is just one of those things that makes my life happier. I spend pretty much the entire day, five days a week on video calls, Meets, Zooms, Teams, all of them, and it just handles them effortlessly.

Re the battery - it is hard to describe this properly, but it changes your way of thinking. If you look back to mobiles 20 years ago, pre-smart phone, phone batteries would last days with no charge. Charging was a thing that you did occasionally.

Then smart phones meant you had to always be aware of your charge level and access to charging. Laptops were the same, my 2019 MBP had decent battery life, but i always had to be aware of where my next charge was.

This thing is like a 20 year old mobile, it lasts so long, it's made charging something I do occasionally rather than lifeblood.

I am hard to impress with tech, but these things are so, so impressive.

I recently got work to swap my 2019 13' MBP (16gb ram) for a new M1 MBA, 8gb RAM and I have to say, it's a fucking marvel.

I'm a 30 year Apple user, have had all sorts of Powerbooks, Macbooks, G3s, G4s, G5s, the lot, going right back to an LC, and this is the most impressed i have ever been with a Mac.

The battery life is nothing short of phenomenal. It is fast as fuck, ultra responsive, the keyboard is way, way better than the shit one they just dropped, there's no stupid touchbar, the screen is brilliant (I was worried with it only being 400 nits).

It's the most impressive bang-per-buck computer I've ever used. I use this all day long, hooked up to a 34 inch monitor, BT keyboard and mouse, and it's every bit as responsive as anything Apple made I've used.

All this and never having to hear a fan - because there isn't one - is just one of those things that makes my life happier. I spend pretty much the entire day, five days a week on video calls, Meets, Zooms, Teams, all of them, and it just handles them effortlessly.

Re the battery - it is hard to describe this properly, but it changes your way of thinking. If you look back to mobiles 20 years ago, pre-smart phone, phone batteries would last days with no charge. Charging was a thing that you did occasionally.

Then smart phones meant you had to always be aware of your charge level and access to charging. Laptops were the same, my 2019 MBP had decent battery life, but i always had to be aware of where my next charge was.

This thing is like a 20 year old mobile, it lasts so long, it's made charging something I do occasionally rather than lifeblood.

I am hard to impress with tech, but these things are so, so impressive.

Impressive list!

I started on an SE 30 over 30 years ago, then a IISi, then an LC, LC II, then a PowerPC Quadra, then finally a G3, G4 iBook, then the MacBook line etc.

I'd just bought myself a new 13" MacBook Pro last year, and an iMac this year so it'll be a few years before my next one. Looking forward.

When they start to scale up the power of the M1, many more cores etc, that’s when it’ll get really interesting. It looks great with apps that have been optimised for it but then other functions it’s about average with the half decent laptops out there.

There’s rumours by the end of this year or early next they could have a 32 core cpu with a 128 core gpu

https://videocardz.com/newz/apple-reportedly-developing-high-end-32-core-cpus-and-128-core-gpus

I'm still on my late 2013 MBP running Sierra. I can't update OS because everything just works right now.

I'm in two minds about picking up a M1 Air. I know the next gen MBP will be here in the summer or soon after, but I love the idea of being able to charge my computer on the go via USB C. Going back to magsafe is fine but I'm a digital nomad of sorts.

Stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

CHarging port on iPad Pro was bust in December, think sweat from using it on my turbo trainer caused water damage. Got it repaired £75 then in early feb it stops working again. Sent it back off as repair still under warranty. Company then claim it has more water damage which I think is impossible as I have learned my lesson from the first time. They refuse warranty but I am stuck so another £75.

Yesterday iPad arrives back with a working charge port but they have damaged the screen arrrghhh it’s still useable but there are clearly visible issues with the screen. Emails sent complaining and I expect not her argument when they open on Monday.  You can see the issue bottom right of the screen.

AA840-ED0-55-A0-4536-BFED-03-F670-B66-B7-E.jpg

• Rich changed the title to Apple