Christmas shopping - squad strength

Guest jackmisfit

Guest jackmisfit

When the transfer window opens, and with the current state of the squad, how many players will come in and how many will go?

When I look at the current team, it seems that the only player that they will sell will be Luque. (I only say Luque because Roeder doesn’t play him and Luque has said that he wants to go).

The squad without plugging holes with reserve players looks like this:

Given (Harper/Krul)

Solano (Carr) Taylor (Bramble) Ramage (Moore) Babayaro (            )

Milner (Dyer) Emre (                ) Parker (Butt) N’Zogbia (Duff)

Sibierski (             ) Martins (              )

This line up would be if Roeder continues to play Solano at RB and it also excludes Owen and Ameobi because of their injuries. This bare bones lineup looks like at least four players need to be brought in to strengthen the club. At minimum, they need to bring in a LB, a midfielder and two strikers. Of course this all excludes the other (hopefully short term) injuries that the team currently has, (Krul, Carr, Dyer, Moore, Bramble, Duff, Parker, etc…)

When the window opens, do you think that Roeder will get rid of more players than Luque? Will the team bring in more or less than four players?

(As a fan, there are players that I’d like to see the tail end of, but realistically, for the last couple of years it’s always been about how thin the squad currently is. At this point, almost every player you sell would need to be replaced. Also, the lineup I presented is always up to argument as to who starts and which formation to use. I put the line up together without deep thought, just to use as a starting point).

Other points to consider are: Will Owen be back this season? and will he be fit enough? If Luque is sold, will he bring enough money? Does the team have enough money to bring in enough players to fill the holes?

If we sign a left back and centre back that will be fine, so long as there both capable at this level.

I'd make our priorites Upson and Bridge or Leighton Bains and Lucas Neill. We need to start our enquiring now!

Guest jackmisfit

Do you think that the team has enough money for Bridge, a top quality CB and a striker? I'd hate to see the team wait until the last minute again and then spend top dollar money on only one or two players. This team needs more players.

Bridge or Baines would be grand. Then a top quality CB and a striker should see us through till the summer.

Agree with that. We need a centre back in their prime and proven in the prem, there aren't too many. Distin is an option.

Come the summer we need to be looking for a centre midfielder!

Baines

Distin

Viduka

Bent

... If we're mega-optimistic. To be honest i'll be annoyed if we go over the £10m mark in January. We don't need to - we'll stay up, we just need one or two extra bodies.

Save it for the summer.

Distin - £2.5m

Bridge - Loan

Viduka - £1m

Another striker - Loan

Guest theunis

Defenders defintly priority but lets hope Rouder gets his men this time around. Have a feeling we are going to pay top dollar again for some players

Come the summer we need to be looking for a centre midfielder!

Agree with that...

I'm officially with Howaythelads, and i want Butt and Emre as the centre-midfield pairing. He's right ya know... And come next season, i think we'll probably need a Butt replacement. The main thing bringing Butt through this season is his intelligence and experience - his ability and speed will fade, a la Nobby at RW.

That Lassana Diarra sounded like a canny option. I've seen him play a miniscule amount of times (never badly), but he's a defensive midfielder and was highly rated when he came to Chelsea. People raved about him in his first two or three games there IIRC - never to be seen again.

If we can get him on loan in Jan, with option to buy in the summer, that'd be grand.

Defenders defintly priority but lets hope Rouder gets his men this time around. 

:roll:

11 clean sheets this season.

Goals in EPL: 12.

We could do with a defender or two, definitely, but they're not the priority. The defense is easily sorted by not playing Carr or Baba.

I am not a big fan of buying players in January I feel you get the best ones in the Summer window, however Roeder Squad needs strengthening and the priorities in January in my opinion should be a Centre Back and a Striker.

In terms of looking for a Striker Roeder should be looking for a complementary partner for Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen who will be returning in March, for me I see Alan Smith as a perfect partner for either Owen or Martins and with the situation at Manchester United getting Larsson and the return of Rossi maybe a tempting offer of £6 million could well persuade Ferguson to let him go.

In terms of a Centre Back, in my opinion we should be looking for a partner for Steven Taylor for him to learn from persuading Woodgate to join in the Summer would have been the answer however that was not meant to be so looking around in January it sounds like Upson is looking for a move and also with Bryan Robson leaving West Brom I would imagine buying Curtis Davies would be a easier task.

If Upson and Davies are not the answer maybe trying to get a experienced defender like Laisao of Benfica? I have watched him on many occasions in the Champions League for Benfica and with Benfica being knocked out the Champions League last night maybe getting him in January for say £5-6 million could be a possibility for Roeder, other then that I always thought Alberto Luque could be a key exchange player if we wanted to get Andrade a centre back for Deportivo for a cheaper price, Andrade has been trying to get a move away from Deportivo for some time so that could be a possibility in January.

It will be interesting to see who Roeder actually goes for and how much he will be allowed to spend.

I'd be happy to see upson and Mathijsen(az alkmar) come in. I've seen mathijsen play at centre back but i prefer him as a left back.

Both those player could make a big difference and would probably cost 7-8 mill between them, considering their ages i reckon it's a sound investment.

What do you guys think

Guest jackmisfit

I'm a big supporter of adding young, developing talent to this squad. But, I think that if Roeder has a small transfer budget, (plus the sale of Luque), it's going to be hard to get 3 to 4 "great" players, and this team needs to add more than just one or two.

It seems that the last couple of windows were rushed, last minute and too much for too few. I'm just hoping that management finally makes the decision to bring in enough players to help strengthen the team.

Guest Deep456

I would love it if we signed Daniel Alves and Mathijsen even if they cost like 12million together and a Cb like Distin. So I would be looking at 20million on 4 players which are quite good and Belgravia promised 25mill so if takeover goes through very nice.!

Depends very much on Bramble.

If we are cutting out losses then we need two CBs in.

Distin is a must have for me bramble or no bramble.

Curtis Davies would be a great addition alongside him aswell. But unlikely there are alot bigger clubs after him and he wouldnt be cheap.

Baines Id actually prefer him to bridge tbh. Although the experience Bridge has would be more beneficial plus we do have a good track record of ruining decent defenders. That aside Baines offers more going forward than Bridge IMO and is younger with more potential.

Lucas Neill Would be a very solid addition although we are unlikely to get him, not least due to the fact Roeder actually rates Carr and doesnt want a RB, but also due to the suprisingly big clubs already looking at him.

As for the striker situation its a hard call.

We certainly need someone in the mould of Viduka, Beattie or Davies role, as good a scratch job as sibbers is doing we need better to compliment our pace and skill.

Out of that group I would probably take James Beattie, he still has some years on him and a change would do him a world of good he is as good a finisher as Viduka can be but has more heart. Given the right surroundings and a decent price I wouldnt mind adding him to the team.

If we are going for heart a very unlikely target but someone im a growing fan of is Samaras at Man City. Since his debut against us he is always hungry and has a great eye for goal. More than probably not available though or likely to cost as much as the next guy....

Darren Bent- would be a great buy, an upgrade on ameobi strong and a midpoint between what we have and what we need. probably too expensive though and i would blame Glenn for looking on the continent for a player that would bring us just as much if not more for a quarter of the price.

Which would bring you to all manner of names, although im sure we will try going for one of our ex targets with Klose even if it is very much an unrequainted love.

You cant argue with the positions we need though (RB) LB CB and two strikers.

Based on the fact Bridge has just signed a new 4 yr deal then i would rule him out surely, I dont think we could get Neill not with Barca sniffing around.

Id like to think that we could get Baines and Distin, up front id try for Beattie or Smith and try and get a loan signing or two in. 

I would honestlt take a punt on sheringham as well for the rest of the season, imagine the through balls he could play for Martins with his vision !!

Guest jackmisfit

I just wonder if Shepherd is ready or willing to invest enough money on 3 or 4 players. With all of the talk of new owners, he might not want to spend a lot of money.

Guest sicko2ndbest

4 new players, 3 going the other way

In

Distin £4m

Baines  £4m

A Young  £3m

Viduka £1.5m

total    £12.5m

Out

Luque  £3.5m

Carr  £1.5m

Babayaro  £1m

Total expenditure £6m

What a difference these players would make to the squad

......................................................Given/Harper/Krul.....................................................

Nobby/A Young...........Taylor/Ramage/Distin/Moore/Bramble.............................Baines/Duff

Milner/Dyer..............................Parker/Butt/Emre...........................OBrien/Nzog/Pattison

....................................Ameobi/Viduka/Sibierski/Owen/Martins.....................................

Fully fit, starting 11 would be:

........................................................Given...............................................................................

Nobby.......................Distin.............................Taylor........................................Baines

Dyer........................Parker.............................Emre.......................................NZog

.............................Viduka................................Owen................................................

Bench

Sib

Butt

Martins

Ramage

Harper

Guest jackmisfit

I think that the team needs to get 3 to 4 players to fill in the holes right now. Definately 2 strikers, and either a MF and a LB or 2 strikers and 2 backs (LB + either CB or RB). That's just to plug in the gaps due to injuries. After that, every player you sell would need to be replaced.

I'm not sure if O'Brien and Pattison are ready to play this season, (experience wise). Krul, Moore, Duff, Ameobi & Owen are hurt. To sell 3 and buy 4 would only gain the squad 1 more person, not enough.