Bez's Diary

Nobby

A good read that, I liked these ones.

About Killer Kilcline getting his hair cut and decking Fazackerly   bluebiggrin.gif

Brian "Killer" Kilcline who had also played in all the pre-season friendlies. Bez recalls that one thing you didn't do with Killer was touch his pride and joy... his hair....

"We were in Cyprus celebrating promotion and most of us had been on the drink for something like 24 hours after the Leicester 7-1 game. We'd been on the beach all day and Killer came back glowing, having fair skin and ginger hair. A lot of us grabbed a few hours kip before going back out again that night but a few of the lads had a couple more drinks in the hotel bar. Derek Fazackerley, John Murray and Barry Venison are the ones I can remember but there were one or two others as well. Not me.... Killer was wrecked and was about to pass out on the bar. Venners said for a joke that they should cut a bit of his hair off and see if he wakes up.

"Well, Killer duly passed out and a pair of scissors appeared. A little bit was snipped and Killer didn't move. A little bit more followed, still nothing. And then half of his pony tale had gone - the other half still long. This looked a bit strange so all of it disappeared. Still Killer slept. Then they started on his moustache and that went. They left him slumped on the bar with bits of hair in his drink and scattered all around so that he would know what had happened when he woke.

"Eventually he did wake and he was absolutely fuming. Apparently it was like a volcano erupting. He started smashing the place up and the barman legged it, petrified. David Kelly knocked my door asking if I'd go and have a word and try and calm him down, as I'd got on well with Killer that year. 'You must be bloody joking!' I said, 'I'm going nowhere near him until he's sobered up a bit more!  Eventually Derek Fazackerley went out to see him and had barely got a word or two out before Killer smacked him one. To be fair, Faz took it and thought he'd deserved it but the whole incident ruined the rest of the holiday. Killer never forgave those involved, although he thought the whole team was in on it, which they weren't.

"He ended up shaving off his moustache and having all his hair levelled - leaving him with this massive ginger bob. It actually made him look a lot younger but it became like the Basil Fawlty sketch - "don't mention the hair, I mentioned it once and I think I got away with it....". However, on the plane back we linked up with some of the other lads who had gone to a different resort and they couldn't help but notice. Not only did it spoil the holiday but things were never the same with Killer and he left in the January, which was a shame."

1995/96 (H) Won 2-1 (Lee, Beardsley)

During the Keegan era, the staff and players had a five press ups forfeit for any mistakes made, which started to be taken to extremes.....

"We scored two in two minutes to turn round the game and towards the end the ref blew for a throw in. Keegan celebrated thinking we'd won and then did five press-ups when he realised what he'd done

"When Keegan did the five press-ups towards the end of the game we were in stitches. After that, it started to get a bit daft and any time anyone said anything slightly wrong they had to drop and give five. It got to the stage where KK would spend most of his teamtalks doing press-ups so we had to call a truce eventually. It showed how good team spirit was at the time, though."