NUFC finances

Paully

Totally agree. Take Colbeck for example and assume he is on £2.5m pa. The 2016/17 accounts made provisions for players with no economic value. He had two years of his contract left so they may have written down £5m in the 2016/17 accounts, inflating wages in that year. In 2017/18 we actually loaned him to Forest; say for £1m fee. His wages are already written off so we then make a surplus of £1m on wages in that year. In short, the write down not only inflated wages in the promotion season but probably reduced the wage bill in the last accounts for all the players on loan.

Exactly :thup:

Looking at who left this summer, I'd imagine as well as the artificial expense in last year's reported wage bill, there'll be reductions in this year's for at least Sels, Lazaar, Saivet & Colback who's total future salaries I imagine were part of last year's provision. In the case of those sold (not loaned) that'll be a reduction to this year's figure for the full value of their remaining contract.

Totally agree. <b>Take Colbeck for example and assume he is on £2.5m pa.</b> The 2016/17 accounts made provisions for players with no economic value. He had two years of his contract left so they may have written down £5m in the 2016/17 accounts, inflating wages in that year. In 2017/18 we actually loaned him to Forest; say for £1m fee. His wages are already written off so we then make a surplus of £1m on wages in that year. In short, the write down not only inflated wages in the promotion season but probably reduced the wage bill in the last accounts for all the players on loan.

Separate point and not relevant to the discussion but if that's true, it's as big an indictment of the modern game as anything I can think of. That gruesome, useless little shitehawk making about 10 times what a decent doctor probably makes in the public sector.

• 1 year later...

Swiss ramble with his analysis of our accounts:

Summary:

Even though income fell by 2m and expences rose by 2.5m Newcastle still returned a very healthy ebitda (56m) and profit (41m).

Player amortisation relatively low for a mid-table club and our wage bill is 14th highest in the PL (was 5th highest before Ashley bought the club).  This reflects Ashleys strategy and ambition.

Also, Ashley is still skimming us with stadium advertising.

Guest chicken little

good point, i've no idea tbh  :lol:

will happily retract (but continue to think true faith is shite) if i'm wrong!

good point, i've no idea tbh  :lol:

will happily retract (but continue to think true faith is shite) if i'm wrong!

Don’t retract. Did some investigating...

Kieron O’Connor, better known by many as simply ‘The Swiss Ramble’

Not sure it’s a direct rip mind but similar if a lot shorter.

Guest chicken little

oh fuck, that just means i'm gonna get him even more confused with kieran maguire (@priceoffootball)

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

He probably has increased it however this will be where he’s cooking the books to swindle the clubs money 

Yup. Brighton might be pulling in more commercial revenue, but I'll bet no one at Brighton is getting as rich as Mike Ashley from the proceeds. 

I think its pretty clear that any commercial avenue has been exploited to the benefit of SD and Frasiers group as a whole. I'm convinced the only reason this hasn't encroached on shirt/sleeve sponsorship is because no one would buy a SD NUFC shirt.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I think its pretty clear that any commercial avenue has been exploited to the benefit of SD and Frasiers group as a whole. I'm convinced the only reason this hasn't encroached on shirt/sleeve sponsorship is because no one would buy a SD NUFC shirt.

Surprised he didn't test the waters with a 3rd kit sponsor or something for SD.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Surprised he didn't test the waters with a 3rd kit sponsor or something for SD.

In reality he owned the shop so other than the actual sponsorship money itself, most of the proceeds went into SD coffers anyway. It would be interesting to know the financial shares of sales going forward now Castore own the shop, how much is he creaming off the top of that deal?

• 9 months later...