David Squires

joeyt

Papers, journalists, radio, TV and social media are going to be at NUFC fans for weeks.   Need to just ignore it if you can.    

- Peak of accusations when Bruce is fired

- Peak of accusations either way when Toon/Spurs win on Sunday

- Any other big news events

Hopefully each peak will be less than the previous as they move onto other stories

Just now, Tiresias said:

Think some of you need to develop thicker skins a bit yeah maybe had a go at us in full more than should but just a cartoon and going to be way more of this to come. He will has some cracking strips now and then

Got to say I've been disappointed by some of the takes lacking any sort of nuance from journalists and those in the media. Still, suppose it's easier for the Southern press to blame thick geordies rather than those ultimately responsible for the state of affairs.

The last two frames need showing repeatedly to anyone pissing about with teatowels and Saudi flags on Sunday.

Not sure what his point was re them being happy to join up in a consortium where a woman is the figurehead. That's really not an example of misogyny like. Not his greatest frame that one.

I'm assuming changing the thread title is a joke like.

The first reaction is to take it as a personal attack, but if you take a step back he's actually sticking the boot in all over the place.  He does also acknowledge that if it was another club then their supporters would be the same.  We were always going to cop for shit like this, think we just need to take our medicine for now because it'll be old news and no longer at the forefront of everyone else's thoughts soon enough.

His comics have always run the gamut from somber to slapstick tbh and this is just one of the more serious ones. It's not bad even if the material all feels a bit well-trodden at this point. That might just be fatigue from the last week though.

Its this one minded tunnel think that sees the left lose every election going. Its virtue signalling tripe.

The saudis are cunts. No two ways about it but we as a country are either dealing with them or we are not.

If we aren't, then no arms, no oil and a boycott of everything Saudi influenced but that decision comes from the government not Newcastle fans.

I suspect that we are much more likely to change things for the better if we have MORE links to the Saudis and they edge towards a less conservative frame of mind but then what do I know.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

Squires is mostly shit. I can’t believe that people bother reading the walls of text that accompany his cartoons.

He is good by and large but nobody on earth is immune from dogshit takes, particularly when they’re outputting weekly content. His sanctimony winds me up a bit at times but ultimately who cares. You can’t cater for everyone all of the time, especially when your brand is snarky jabs. 

As a fanbase we probably need to get less touchy about this sort of thing. I thought it was a good cartoon. Some of the panels might feel a bit hack but they’re not wrong.

Edited by christ

I called him out on this before, on this thread somewhere I think, years ago. He was simply a popularist, typically Guardian-esque, political aspirant who tried to mix as much non-football themes into his drawings as possible to get cheap laughs from the avocado-on-toast and iced-tea sipping captive audience. It started with just football, and it was fine, but then it became politicised, and now it's just completely out of touch.

But I've always ascribed to freedom of speech and expression - I don't like them so I don't look at them. I've not opened up a comic of his on over a year, and unless someone wants to correct me, I don't think my opening paragraph above will be wrong now as it was correct over a year ago.

Edit: NewPageWanker

Edited by HawK

11 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

maybe not *all* but well over 90% by recent poll numbers he’s more than within his rights to generalise in this case.

it’s fine to criticise fans for wanting this takeover, we deserve it tbh. I do think i there is some cowardice though when you criticise fans but not managers players too.

The likes of Pep or Messi or Neymar are never blamed for being complicit in the way fans are. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think I’ve seen any of those asked “tough” questions on this. Yet fans were there before before any of those superstars.

I know the NUST numbers were around 93% in favour, but if that's representative 7% is still about 160,000 people to be making assumptions about in real numbers. He's certainly happy to focus on the small percentage of people carrying on with towels on their heads or waving flags. It doesn't bother me like, all fans of all clubs are always lumped together like that and I've always thought that it's stupid. This is always what was going to happen and it'll never ever end. 

Less of the flags, teatowels, and faux-thawbs (?) and we'll be reet. Can't blame people for getting a bit carried away and not being aware of the geopolitical climate, mind.

Edited by Rich

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

I know the NUST numbers were around 93% in favour, but if that's representative 7% is still about 160,000 people to be making assumptions about in real numbers. He's certainly happy to focus on the small percentage of people carrying on with towels on their heads or waving flags. It doesn't bother me like, all fans of all clubs are always lumped together like that and I've always thought that it's stupid. This is always what was going to happen and it'll never ever end. 

Where did he say all fans out of interest? He specifically says "except the ones who spent the last month's asking for just this" and "some fans".

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It was the 'Newcastle's rightful position (14th)' which wound me up

Same here, it should be 17th. 

Not really wound up by that, mainly because I never found what he did good or funny in the first place. Littered with random digs just like there was one 18 months ago. 

Football sold it's soul in 1992, it got ever worse in 2003, then 2008, 2012, and now. Anger shouldn't be directed at a fanbase but the people who run the game who have allowed to get to this stage.

People need to stop with the Saudi flags online and IRL, the tea towel wearing. Because while I get that part of it is just celebration of Ashley going and us being in the money, it appears to the outside like we're championing the Saudi regime. When people rush to the defence of said regime, it confirms that sportswashing works. And that has to stop.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Got no problem with what he is saying, and I really do think our fans should engage in debates about Saudi Arabia in time (we're still celebrating Ashley fucking off, let's not forget that). However, was it meant to be funny? Could understand it if it wasn't and this was a one off, because there is nothing funny about what's going on in Saudi Arabia, but if any of those panels were meant to be funny I completely missed it :dontknow:

3 minutes ago, Si said:

Where did he say all fans out of interest? He specifically says "except the ones who spent the last month's asking for just this" and "some fans".

I'm sure the neutral is coming away from that cartoon thinking, "but what about the Newcastle fans who don't think like that!"... 

2 minutes ago, Si said:

He said it with what he chose to focus on, which is fair enough, just a bit of an eye roll over getting tarred with the same brush. 

:lol: It really is pretty fucking surreal that football, of all things is where we're having a prominent discussion about Saudi Arabia. I'm sure lots of people are trying to address these issues in more appropriate venues, and this is just a convenient, high-profile transaction, so why not use it. But honestly it's kind of grimly funny.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm sure the neutral is coming away from that cartoon thinking, "but what about the Newcastle fans who don't think like that!"... 

If they don't you'd worry about the people basing their views solely on a cartoon.