David Squires

joeyt

I went in hoping to be outraged, and came out thinking it was alright.

It's just taking a dig, like all his cartoons do, and pointing out some of the absurdities. Think we need to take this kind of stuff in our stride from now on, rather than over analyse for criticism.

I expect we'd be saying the exact same thing if it were any other club or set of fans.

I did laugh at the Mike Ashley Victorian mill owner bit. I say laugh, I mean not out loud.

Does any club have a rightful place? Was that a dig at Staveley or the fans, surely not following the narrative that the Super League 6 or just Liverpool and Man U have a rightful place at top? Or, was it just a shit attempt at a joke?

I think it's pretty funny. It's also something we are going to have to get used to. We've been the underdog for so long now, we've got used to cynicism and snarkiness aimed at other clubs, but not us. Now we're "the richest football club in the whole world", we're fair game. Comedians, cartoonists, etc. tend to punch upwards, not downwards. Our potentially elite status is going to bring this kind of stuff. It's a trade I'm happy to make.

I’ll enjoy the upturn in football fortunes like everyone else but, tbh, I found that cartoon pretty good.

I can hold both ideas in my mind: enjoy the football + be critical of a state with some beliefs that entirely conflict with my own.

21 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I went in hoping to be outraged, and came out thinking it was alright.

It's just taking a dig, like all his cartoons do, and pointing out some of the absurdities. Think we need to take this kind of stuff in our stride from now on, rather than over analyse for criticism.

I expect we'd be saying the exact same thing if it were any other club or set of fans.

I did laugh at the Mike Ashley Victorian mill owner bit. I say laugh, I mean not out loud.

Agree, it was pretty much what I expected, water off a duck's back as far as I'm concerned. 

The bit that I found funny was where Dickie Masters was portrayed as being willing to pass the takeover without a second thought. It will have killed him being forced into doing it, and for all the wrong reasons at that. 

It's mostly okay. The "14th" comment is really thick, because it will turn Newcastle fans off when there is no need to score cheap points. Him, and the Guardian if they actually cared, should be trying to engage us. This will just push people away and encourage them to develop a siege mentality.

Just for the frame with the fan upside down, but so many sports and organizations are taking KSA money that somewhere sometime you do indeed jump a whataboutery shark where accepting KSA money is ultimately normalized. Just as government ministers seem to have jumped an accountability shark where you can be corrupt and/or super incompetent and still not have to resign.

2 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

The media are pissing me off so much and this one has been added to the list.

I know we should expect it, but I kind of keep getting the feeling that it'll all be taken away from us on a technicality at any given point. The only reason I can think I feel like that is just because we're Newcastle and stuff always turns to shit for us.

4 hours ago, HawK said:

I called him out on this before, on this thread somewhere I think, years ago. He was simply a popularist, typically Guardian-esque, political aspirant who tried to mix as much non-football themes into his drawings as possible to get cheap laughs from the avocado-on-toast and iced-tea sipping captive audience. It started with just football, and it was fine, but then it became politicised, and now it's just completely out of touch.

But I've always ascribed to freedom of speech and expression - I don't like them so I don't look at them. I've not opened up a comic of his on over a year, and unless someone wants to correct me, I don't think my opening paragraph above will be wrong now as it was correct over a year ago.

Edit: NewPageWanker

Was that when he made the previous one about the Saudi-Arabia takeover?

To be fair with Squires, whose work I quite enjoy/like, we are fair game and rightly so. He’s done a few pro NUFC fans/anti Ashley strips in the past. We need to rise above this and laugh it off. Again, all the crap will die down (not go away), and only be really ramped up again when we are stealing the title off Liverpool or Man Utd or a top 4 place off one of them. Fuck them I say, they were all missing during the 14 years of cancer that was Ashley as owner, why should we suddenly pay any attention to these attention seeking cunts who without social media, wouldn’t even get any notice. 

47 minutes ago, Rompe said:

Was that when he made the previous one about the Saudi-Arabia takeover?

I didn't eve know he'd made one previously about that. The drivel about Brexit was enough to turn me off. Keep politics out of football imo, it brought divisions into this forum too. 

5 hours ago, Lotus said:

I’ll enjoy the upturn in football fortunes like everyone else but, tbh, I found that cartoon pretty good.

I can hold both ideas in my mind: enjoy the football + be critical of a state with some beliefs that entirely conflict with my own.

Exactly. Thin skins all owa the shop.

Guest neesy111
2 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

The media are pissing me off so much and this one has been added to the list.

You are such a pansy.

Guest neesy111
13 minutes ago, Disco said:

Exactly. Thin skins all owa the shop.

100% this.

Showing quite a few people up on here.

10 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Not jumping on Neesy, because I know it's not his style, but isn't that a traditional homophobic slur?

Stop being a sissy