David Squires

joeyt

4 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

:lol: Squires is fucking rattled. More of this shit, please.

He's not rattled. He draws cartoons about current affairs in football. He's good at it, and we all enjoyed when he was ripping the s**t out of Bruce and Ashley.

He works with his subject matter plain and simple. We are currently subject matter, but its still just a cartoon. 

It's the tarring of the entire fanbase that bothers me, really. Most of the stuff I've seen from Squires he's really only targeted individuals. 

There are members of the fanbase who've draped themselves in Saudi attire and adorned Saudi flags against their Twitter handles etc. That sort of stuff absolutely requires 'action' of some description, and a publication highlighting the foolishness of that isn't something I have a problem with at all. It's useful if anything. 

It's just the general portrayal of the entire fanbase behaving in such a way which is so irksome, but there you go. It's the nature of the cartoon I suppose. 

Certainly don't blame people for chanting "we've got our club back" amidst the ecstacy of the first hours of Ashley's departure. Of course it's a contradiction but who could blame anyone for thinking like that in the immediacy of the news? 

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

He's not rattled. He draws cartoons about current affairs in football. He's good at it, and we all enjoyed when he was ripping the s**t out of Bruce and Ashley.

He works with his subject matter plain and simple. We are currently subject matter, but its still just a cartoon. 

:lol: Yeah, I'm aware of what he does. I find it funny, because he's gone so sanctimonious about it and not even attempted to include any humor. More, please.

1 minute ago, Si said:

"He was funny when he was nasty about other clubs" :lol:

The idea that a single person on this forum would think "ooh dear, he's got this one wrong" if he'd penned the exact same strip about another club is absolutely risible. In fact he's made similar points about Man City dozens of times over the years, basically every time they win something he raises it.

People really need to stop taking entirely valid criticism of Saudi Arabia as a personal slight.

"I want these murderous dictators to own us because they're very rich but can nobody in the press mention it please?" is a very silly stance indeed to take (and not one anyone would condone for any other football club).

3 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Eh?

Well he has form for looking the other way because more broadly he thinks he’s getting what he wants. One of the ones asking ‘what antisemitism?’ When thousands of Corbyn super fans were hounding Zionist labour members off of Twitter. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

Just now, B-more Mag said:

:lol: Yeah, I'm aware of what he does. I find it funny, because he's gone so sanctimonious about it and not even attempted to include any humor. More, please.

No different to his normal offerings. He was happy to rip the living s**t out of the rich 6s ESL project without trying to be funny.

Just now, B-more Mag said:

It's a fucking cartoon. Water off a duck's back.

This!

Some people need to appreciate that there isn't always some massive agenda behind everything. (discalimer...doesn't mean there isn't!....pass me my tinfoil hat)

6 minutes ago, kisearch said:

The assumption that all Newcastle fans are for the takeover, or that being happy that Ashley's gone automatically means you endorse the Saudis is absolutely shite like, but this is what we all knew was coming. 

The only complaint I really have about Squires these days is that he's far too wordy and rarely as funny as he used to be. Didn't think that one was that bad tbh, I've definitely seen the stuff that he's talking about, especially last summer. 

maybe not *all* but well over 90% by recent poll numbers he’s more than within his rights to generalise in this case.

it’s fine to criticise fans for wanting this takeover, we deserve it tbh. I do think i there is some cowardice though when you criticise fans but not managers players too.

The likes of Pep or Messi or Neymar are never blamed for being complicit in the way fans are. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think I’ve seen any of those asked “tough” questions on this. Yet fans were there before before any of those superstars.

1 minute ago, ElDiablo said:

About what you'd expect. Do you expect him to asterix every frame with *not all Toon fans or something? He's a cartoonist, it's literally his job to caricature. 

Not really, doesn't mean I can't find it frustrating though. 

While he's entitled to his (or his employers) opinions and its his job to draw cartoons about them, it's still a petty dig at our club and fans, even if we between each other disagree on some matters its still our club and we will all celebrate the wins together like we all went through the awful previous era together, anyone from outside who is trying to make us feel bad about it can fuck off.

Just now, POOT 2.0 said:

I've always found his stuff more miss than hit. But the hits are classics.

I think, though, most of the misses are down to the fact my interest in football over the past decade, as a whole, has been very much part-time. And they've just went over my head.

As for today's...yep, hate us being painted in this as complicit. But, it's a cartoon by someone that was seen as awesome before today. Seems daft to change the title just because it pisses us off. 

It's just a thread title man :lol:

1 minute ago, ElDiablo said:

It's frustrating but we better get used to it fast, this is what it's going to be like from now on. 

Yes and no. Maybe wishful thinking but as a fanbase we're not powerless when it comes to changing the agenda; not that that's got anything to do with David Squires.