What are you eating?

Yorkie

I want to get a takeaway tonight for a change but u sure its worth the risk. But its killed at sub 30c so surely safe if I chuck the bag, wash my hands and let it chill in the oven for 10 mins at 70c. I'm in too minds. All of this effort and misery to isolate then fuck it with a takeaway.

I want to get a takeaway tonight for a change but u sure its worth the risk. But its killed at sub 30c so surely safe if I chuck the bag, wash my hands and let it chill in the oven for 10 mins at 70c. I'm in too minds. All of this effort and misery to isolate then fuck it with a takeaway.

Unpack it, wash your hands, go to town.

Anyone got an marinade ideas for tofu. I have my usual hoi sin, soy chili, garlic and ginger banger, but thats it.

I imagine Jimburst[/member] would be a good tag.

Not a marinade, but toss it in some corn flour before putting in the wok for a nice crispy coating.

Anyone got an marinade ideas for tofu. I have my usual hoi sin, soy chili, garlic and ginger banger, but thats it.

Not a marinade, but toss it in some corn flour before putting in the wok for a nice crispy coating.

Got mesel some Panko for that but cornflour is a good, simpler alternative. Ta.

Cornflour will also thicken any sauce.  I liked it how my suggestion was ignored.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's pretty standard that you brown meat before mixing into you sauce/stew.

That’s if you don’t know another way. I don’t like my meatballs browned or charred, I prefer them cooked evenly on the outside and inside for a consistent texture and taste. Browning them off can actually take away from the taste and flavours of the meatballs. I use a cooking method I got from a chef in Greece, give it a try and I guarantee they will not only taste better but will go really well with pasta, mash, chips, on bread or on their own just with sauce.

Anyway my recipe

Heat a large deep pan for 60 seconds

Add 2 tablespoons of extra extra virgin olive oil and let heat for another 60 seconds

Add half a cup of diced onions and brown/fry until crispy for 2 minutes

Add half a cup of water and let if heat up for 60 seconds stirring the fried onions around

Add another half a cup of onions and let them soften for 2 mins or until the water evaporates

Add in a quarter of a cup more of water, add a healthy dollop of grated garlic and ginger, a sprinkling of dried Italian mixed herbs and chilli flakes and stir a few times until it thickens up a bit

Get your homemade well seasoned meatballs, I usually use salt, pepper, coriander, paprika and a max of two eggs and a sprinkling of bread crumbs I mix together before rolling an old 50p size ball

Then add them to the pan and let them sit for 30 seconds before adding a splash of water and then turn them over again, repeat this once more and within a few minutes your meat balls should look evenly cooked on the outside without being burnt or charred. Your crispy onions will be soft like the other onions and that burnt charred aroma along with the garlic and ginger will be forming the base of your sauce

Add chopped fresh tomatoes and stir in and shake the pan around a few times

Add some more water to increase the level of sauce how you prefer before adding tomato paste, one cube of beef stock and extra seasoning. Put a lid on top for 15-20 mins and let the meatballs cook in the sauce. After 15 mins grab one out and put a fork through it, it should be soft, juicy and not crumble apart.

You can either take the meatballs out and stir in some almost ready cooked pasta and then plate up and put the meatballs on top or serve meatballs and sauce on a bed of pasta/mash/chips or on some bread.

Give it a try, again I’m confident your browning of meatball days will be over.

I always cornflour rather than panko. Easier, no dredging. Like G says, thickens up sauces.

Try this: https://tofoo.co.uk/recipes/black-pepper-tofoo Absolutely banging.

Gorilla's Gochujang sauce is very similar to what I do for bibimbap with tofu.

We made this last night, which takes tofu away from the asian cuisine and into kinda more bistro stuff: https://www.feastingathome.com/hemp-crusted-tofu-celeriac-puree/

The tofu for that alone is fucking delicious, if you can't get celeriac.

Jim or any other vegetarians/vegans, have you tried the Linda McCartney hoisin duck yet?

I've tried it and wasn't that keen tbh. But then I've been vegan since before it was cool so managed to transition without any of the mock meats and stuff you can get these days so tend to find them all a bit weird tbh, it's the texture they seem to struggle with the most.

Apart from the Impossible Burger, that's pretty awesome. :blush:

• Rich changed the title to What are you eating?