G14 and FIFA

Martin Lol

............ are on collision course over stipulating a mandatory umber of home grown players.

Fifa must drop a proposal to limit the number of foreign players fielded by European clubs or face legal action, says Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter has proposed that European clubs must field a minimum of six home players.

But Dein, chairman of the G14 group of top clubs, said: "This is totally illegal and it will be challenged.

"If Fifa want to light a fire then so be it, but it will be a very hot one. I hope this idea doesn't go any further."

G14, which represents 18 of Europe's richest clubs, is at odds with the world governing body over a number of issues.

It is also involved in two court cases related to the release of international players and compensation should they get injured.

Dein said: "I appeal to FIFA for a period of calm. We are currently on the road to resolving a lot of the problems in the game, so there is no need to cause any more headaches."

Blatter believes his rule would protect the game at national level and bring clubs closer to the fans.

However, many within the sport, including European football's governing body Uefa, think the proposal is a breach of European law and rules of a free labour market in the European Union

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6219798.stm

I don't know how how strong the legal case is but, liking to see English players and Academy products coming through, I hope FIFA win this one.

Guest nufc_geordie

It isn't a case of FIFA winning it, it is just the law. There are now no restrictions on European workers in the EU. In some respects it is effectively a European Superstate law meaning there are no apparent boundaries between nations when it comes to working rules.

This is a huge problem IMO. The Italian league did it in the 90's when they were full with foreigners. Their quotas kicked out all but the very best foreigners and they groomed a pool of talent good enough to come through and win the world cup last year. As these laws have been brought in I think the power of European Countries at World Cup level will diminish as there are too mant foreigners in all leagues. It is a problem that the quota system would solve but that will never be allowed to happen.

Guest Canny_Fettle

............ are on collision course over stipulating a mandatory umber of home grown players.

Fifa must drop a proposal to limit the number of foreign players fielded by European clubs or face legal action, says Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter has proposed that European clubs must field a minimum of six home players.

But Dein, chairman of the G14 group of top clubs, said: "This is totally illegal and it will be challenged.

"If Fifa want to light a fire then so be it, but it will be a very hot one. I hope this idea doesn't go any further."

G14, which represents 18 of Europe's richest clubs, is at odds with the world governing body over a number of issues.

It is also involved in two court cases related to the release of international players and compensation should they get injured.

Dein said: "I appeal to FIFA for a period of calm. We are currently on the road to resolving a lot of the problems in the game, so there is no need to cause any more headaches."

Blatter believes his rule would protect the game at national level and bring clubs closer to the fans.

However, many within the sport, including European football's governing body Uefa, think the proposal is a breach of European law and rules of a free labour market in the European Union

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6219798.stm

I don't know how how strong the legal case is but, liking to see English players and Academy products coming through, I hope FIFA win this one.

Interesting that it is Arsenal who are bleeting the loudest on this  bluelaugh.gif

Trouble is i don't think FIFA can win this one - it does contrivene EU labour laws which are adopted in all EU countries (well apart from France and Germany who seem to get away with flouting them!!).  Perhaps FIFA should go for the inclusion of 6 EU nationals regarding European teams - that might just appeal to the EU bureaucrats and also let the G14 off the hook in the short term.  Just an idea!!!

Yup - one court case and it'll be shit all over the place again

the danger is, of course, when you go to court you NEVER know what the results are

imagine if the courts rule that selling players contracts is illegal.......... which  a lot of lawyers think is the case

I don't see how it is against the employment law, as a club is still free to employ as many foreigners as it likes. This is just a restriction on the number who can play in any game. If equality laws are enforced on the game itself, then there's no reason why women couldn't play in any team, and conversely you wouldn't be able to stop men playing in a womens league.

Guest nufc_geordie
Interesting that it is Arsenal who are bleeting the loudest on this  bluelaugh.gif

It's not Arsenal, it's the fact that their chairman has been voted chairman of the G14 group for this season. He represents all of the clubs involved.

Personally, I wish they'd all just feck off and form their own poxy league (and take Chelsea with them, preferably), we'll see how long it takes for their fans to start bleating because they can't find any Porto fans at work to take the piss out of after beating them on a Saturday, and how keen players are to join them given that they won't be able to play international football.

Assuming that they haven't already ruined international football, of course, which they seem to be quite intent on doing at the moment.

Yup - one court case and it'll be shit all over the place again

the danger is, of course, when you go to court you NEVER know what the results are

imagine if the courts rule that selling players contracts is illegal.......... which a lot of lawyers think is the case

The transfer system has been declared illegal in Australia (for domestic transfers) for nearly a decade for employment law reasons...