NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

5 minutes ago, GavMcEl said:

I don't  know if that would be strictly true tbh, I don't think that the replica shirt market is what it once was, last few times I went to sjp 18/19, felt there was a lot more  fans wearing retros, be it authentic or remakes, was even a big chunk wearing plain clothes, even now during the euros the fans in the stands in Wembley or footage of them fan parks, the majority of people seem to be wearing old jerseys/retros....

think it has a lot to do with the price of a Jersey and the fact that they change it that often, that they don't mean as much as they use to 

Maybe, maybe not but a takeover, no Mike, no Lee, no Bruce. New manager, couple of decent signings and a decent shirt to signal the start of the new era. It would fly off the shelves. People buy retro when the present is pants or the replica represents good times. If the here and now is the good times then the current shirt will be what is bought

I'm surprised we've not had any credible leaks so far for our new kit, with Puma we'd normally know the kit a good few months prior to the reveal. Other then the fact we knew we where going to be switching to Castore, there's not really been any idea what the kit will look like, and were right around the corner to it dropping.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/castore-exclusive-tom-beahon-newcastle-20959372

A "multi-year" - understood to be five year - partnership with Newcastle United is a foothill on the Everest of overturning the dominance of the likes of Nike, Adidas and Puma - the latter ousted after nearly a decade as kit supplier to Newcastle.

---

"Newcastle is a perfect example of what is wrong with the market and where Castore thinks we can do things differently," he tells ChronicleLive in an exclusive interview.

"If you're one of those 'big four', you partner with one of those big brands, you'd get a bespoke range, limited editions products opps, retro kits, accessories, lifestyle products and provide brilliant marketing support and plug them into the international distribution network. But for anyone out the big four we felt the model, simply,is broken. It was all standardised kits, very little by way of bespoke designs and even stranger, very little by way of marketing investment.

"If you look at the size of Newcastle's fanbase and the love and deep passion they have for that club - it's passed through the generations and in families - why, as a brand, would you not want to make bespoke products? Why would you not want to invest in marketing and tell the club's story?

"There won't be any templated kits from Castore. Every single thing we make in the Newcastle range, from a technical perspective, will be bespoke. First, away, third, training kit, anthem jackets they'll come out in the stadium to, lifestyle products - everything will be bespoke. It's a commitment we made at the start of this deal.

"It's an opportunity for us to come in and shake things up. Why would you want to partner with a club like Newcastle in terms of size and stature and not really activate that partnership and bring it to life with creative marketing and story telling, content and the chance to do some cool stuff with the players?"

"There's a lot of opportunity out there but we don't want to do every deal. We want to partner with clubs we feel match our own ambitions. We're very ambitious as a brand. We want to be number one globally in five years - that's an ambition - and we want to partner with clubs that are equally ambitious.

"We know how deep and passionate the Newcastle fanbase is but the next stage really excites me: where can this club go and be in the next five years? That was a big driver behind drawing me to this opportunity."

Next week will see the first Newcastle Castore kit launched with, Beahon reveals, a "nod to heritage and history".

---

It is part of Castore's biggest ever kit deal which they're financially and "emotionally" invested in.

"I care about this deeply," Beahon says.

"This is a significant financial investment from my business in Newcastle and I'm very, very comfortable making that based on how big the fanbase is but also how passionate it is and the ambitions the club has the exciting journey the club will go on in the next five years.

"Some of the stuff I've seen about the Reuben Brothers being investors or Mike Ashley are just fundamentally not true. I know each one of my investors on a first name basis, I've got all of their numbers in my phone and I speak to them quite regularly to discuss what's going on with the business.

What is clear is that Castore will do things differently. Fans can expect lifestyle clothes, retro kits, limited edition match shirts and more between now and the start fo the season.

"We all know the recent history of Newcastle but as an outside observer you just look at the club and think: 'There's so much we could do better'," Beahon says.

"I touched on that with marketing and products but the retail experience is a big, big part of that. If I look at the website fans were buying off and going up to St James' Park, as I have been, the retail experience there's a lot we can do better.

"If we're going to invest in the club partnership as we are, why would we not want to take over the retail? It just means it's in our gift to make it a success. It puts more pressure on us but shows we are totally commited to this partnership.

39 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

So that confirms the Reubens are not investors in this?

Aye 

One rumour swirling round the deal is that it has been driven by the Reuben Brothers, possible co-owners of the club if a takeover can be brokered.

But Beahon says that is not true - and it's understood this deal is unconnected to the buy out.

"I try not to keep up with the rumour mill if I'm honest. I did try to but I was spending 16 hours on Twitter rather than running my business," he said.

"Some of the stuff I've seen about the Reuben Brothers being investors or Mike Ashley are just fundamentally not true. I know each one of my investors on a first name basis, I've got all of their numbers in my phone and I speak to them quite regularly to discuss what's going on with the business.

Very impressed with the statement from Castore and what they're trying to achieve as brand tbh. It takes a colossal amount of balls to try and break into a market as saturated as sportswear. 

Do I like the branding and logo? Not really, but hey, Nike was originally called Blue Ribbon Sports. 

and we want to partner with clubs that are equally ambitious

Errm... what? :lol:

Unless he knew something about takeover, then he really doesn't know how un-ambitiously NUFC are...

Edit: Or maybe that's a hint to how "ambitious" Castore are :lol:

Edited by veriaqa

Just read that interview again. I'm going to give them a chance. They can really make a make this first home kit really, really good along the lines of grandad collar Entertainers kit. Even if they don't get it right, they sound much better than hoe Puma were treating us early on. It's not just about the design but them taking over and running the club shop and also plans for more of those in Monument Mall, its much better than being under Puma or ShitDirect already.

Time will tell but hope they put their efforts behind making us their priority like they said they would.

I like what they said in that interview, but I don’t get why a third party should be running our retail at all. 

The club should have a top-class marketing and branding function which creates the fan experience. From website to retail and everything. Why are we looking to offload this stuff? What if we don’t want Castore to do the shirts next time around? 

I’ll never visit the shop or buy anything under Ashley anyway, but as earnest as those guys seem it just looks like another example of minimising the club and getting reduced benefit from something we should be maximising. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I like what they said in that interview, but I don’t get why a third party should be running our retail at all. 

The club should have a top-class marketing and branding function which creates the fan experience. From website to retail and everything. Why are we looking to offload this stuff? What if we don’t want Castore to do the shirts next time around? 

I’ll never visit the shop or buy anything under Ashley anyway, but as earnest as those guys seem it just looks like another example of minimising the club and getting reduced benefit from something we should be maximising. 

It's laughable considering at one point our home shirt was one of the best selling in the country.  It's all there for the taking but as everyone knows it's been wilfully mismanaged.

We used to have 4(?) club shops ran by the club and now we have none.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There's the answer to your own question. We simply don't have what we should. Run like an amatuer club to be honest. Castore sound more professional than the club have been about the kit/club shop all this while.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

I reckon we’ll see it tomorrow 

Would make the most sense, Semi’s start Tuesday and then depending on what happens Wednesday, the media will only be talking about that the next day or longer..

Quite a few journos have already seen it so it must be good to go