Tommy go home?

Kitman

Cost of British involvement in Iraq & Afghanistan - £1.4 billion or £3.8m a day

British servicemen killed in Iraq at end of October - 126

Number of Iraqis estimated as killed since Allied occupation - 600,000

The price of being America's ally is becoming all too clear, and yet we continue to support the USA in their disastrous occupation of Iraq.  Iraq is Tony Blair's political epitaph.  Isn't it time we pulled out before more British servicemen die and more money is wasted, in pursuit of campaigns that history tells us can't be won?

You see we are looking after our strategic interests Kitty. Soldiers dying and money being spent from the public purse doesn't really come into it.

In the past when Saddam was torturing and killing thousands of minorities in Iraq he was welcomed in Paris by Chirac, he was courted by Rumsfeld and spoken of in kind terms by Douglas-Hurd. Our leaders in the West continually turned a blind eye to this nutter, for there was money to be made.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/08/wirq08.xml

"Both men spoke of the need for a "new way forward" in Iraq but remained adamant that their decision to topple Saddam Hussein and attempt to establish democracy would be vindicated by history.

"It's a noble mission, and it's the right mission," said Mr Blair. "And it's important for our world that it succeeds."

It would be great if we could hypothecate our taxes - basically allocate it between categories of expenditure instead of handing over to govt to spend as they like.  Not a penny of my taxes would go towards the war in Iraq and I suspect a lot of people would be similar.  They want to close community hospitals in our area but piss away billions on ill conceived wars  :roll:

I realise this wouldn't affect you Parky, as I expect you don't pay tax in the UK or Germany  bluebiggrin.gif

It would be great if we could hypothecate our taxes - basically allocate it between categories of expenditure instead of handing over to govt to spend as they like.  Not a penny of my taxes would go towards the war in Iraq and I suspect a lot of people would be similar.  They want to close community hospitals in our area but piss away billions on ill conceived wars  :roll:

I realise this wouldn't affect you Parky, as I expect you don't pay tax in the UK or Germany  bluebiggrin.gif

One of the few things Parky doesnt believe in.

"One of the few things Parky doesnt believe in." Chix

:lol:

There is no need for income tax as I've gone on at length about before and kept Chix entertained for the odd half hour. bluebiggrin.gif

"Both men spoke of the need for a "new way forward" in Iraq but remained adamant that their decision to topple Saddam Hussein and attempt to establish democracy would be vindicated by history.

"It's a noble mission, and it's the right mission," said Mr Blair. "And it's important for our world that it succeeds."

Translated means "Yeah, we fucked up totally, but we're in too deep now to pull out".  Blair would like to be remembered as the great reformer, he will be remembered as the idiot who took us into Iraq.  I'm hoping Brown's different.

The quote about 'a noble mission' is hilarious.  Foreign policy has nothing to do with nobility and never has.  I now look forward to us invading the state of every despot and dictator around the world and installing a democratic regime, as this is clearly the central plank of our foreign policy these days.

"The quote about 'a noble mission' is hilarious.  Foreign policy has nothing to do with nobility and never has.  I now look forward to us invading the state of every despot and dictator around the world and installing a democratic regime, as this is clearly the central plank of our foreign policy these days." Kitty

The golden rule being that they have to be more or less defenceless. :roll:

There is no need for income tax as I've gone on at length about before and kept Chix entertained for the odd half hour. bluebiggrin.gif

bluebiggrin.gif

It amuses me but it also freaks me out slightly that you think that too.

bluebiggrin.gif

Technically income tax is a temporary tax introduced to fund the Napoleonic Wars.  Parliament seems to have lost sight of the fact those wars have been paid for and they keep re-adopting it every year  :wullie:.  Bring back the window tax I say  bluebiggrin.gif

You see we are looking after our strategic interests Kitty. Soldiers dying and money being spent from the public purse doesn't really come into it.

In the past when Saddam was torturing and killing thousands of minorities in Iraq he was welcomed in Paris by Chirac, he was courted by Rumsfeld and spoken of in kind terms by Douglas-Hurd. Our leaders in the West continually turned a blind eye to this nutter, for there was money to be made.

aye and quite  a bit of it finished in Newcastle - who sold him aall them tanks ..........

bluebiggrin.gif

Technically income tax is a temporary tax introduced to fund the Napoleonic Wars. Parliament seems to have lost sight of the fact those wars have been paid for and they keep re-adopting it every year :wullie:. Bring back the window tax I say bluebiggrin.gif

Swiss RE (owners of teh London Gherkin) would shit themselves....................... 

I pay tax in England Kitty.

The way these wars work is that the general public pay for them and then big business nip in at the end and make huge profits.

Aren't you German resident?  Or do they think you're just visiting  bluebiggrin.gif

Gosh talk about the 3rd degree.  blueuhoh.gif

:lol: Parky getting nervous.

I'm really a German tax inspector.  And your comments are most irregular.  This position might not be acceptable.  Papers please.

Gosh talk about the 3rd degree. blueuhoh.gif

Careul Parky...I reckon Kitty works for the Inland Revenue! bluebigeek.gif :lol:

:lol: Not enough dosh in the civil service my friend bluebiggrin.gif

So you are a civil servant then?

Gosh talk about the 3rd degree. blueuhoh.gif

Careul Parky...I reckon Kitty works for the Inland Revenue! bluebigeek.gif :lol:

:lol: Not enough dosh in the civil service my friend bluebiggrin.gif

So you are a civil servant then?

:lol:  No, I wouldn't wipe my arse on the civil service!  Actually I work for German civil service and I am most interested in Herr Parky's taxation

Guest Ridzuan

I totally agree with it.Iraq might be not be going on the way as we wanted,but at least there are some improvements.Slowly,but surely.Pulling the troops out of Iraq now would be a total disaster.