Arrrggh! Setting up XBOX 360 LIVE

Guest MagicNumber9

Guest MagicNumber9

Please help im at my wits end!!!!!!!!!

Just got a 360 yesterday, and a new netgear dg834g wireless router, but i aint worrying about wireless yet i just want it wired and working!

i  can view webpages as u can probably tell as i am posting this message, but cant get the 360 to work. i have an ethernet cable from my netgear to pc, and one from netgear to xbox.

try the test connection, and IP ADRESS has "failed" and i dont know what to do to fix it.

PLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE HEEELPPPPPPPPP  :( :( :(

Please help im at my wits end!!!!!!!!!

Just got a 360 yesterday, and a new netgear dg834g wireless router, but i aint worrying about wireless yet i just want it wired and working!

i  can view webpages as u can probably tell as i am posting this message, but cant get the 360 to work. i have an ethernet cable from my netgear to pc, and one from netgear to xbox.

try the test connection, and IP ADRESS has "failed" and i dont know what to do to fix it.

PLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE HEEELPPPPPPPPP  :( :( :(

Try going into Internet options in your control panel. Go to the connections tab and click on your modem/connection name. Click settings, Then properties. Then click the advanced tab. Then make sure you've clicked all 3 of the boxes.  This might help. It's what i had to do.

Guest MagicNumber9

im gonna sound thick here, but it was a USB modem being used, and its just got an old option in there for it, and with this been for an ethernet connection, it dont have that option in there, as its automaticaly picking up the settings and connecting...?

im sooo lost with this its unbelivable,didnt think it would be tis hard to set up!

im gonna sound thick here, but it was a USB modem being used, and its just got an old option in there for it, and with this been for an ethernet connection, it dont have that option in there, as its automaticaly picking up the settings and connecting...?

im sooo lost with this its unbelivable,didnt think it would be tis hard to set up!

Hmm.. All i had to do was run my xbox straight with an ethernet lead into the ethernet port in the back of my PC and do what i've just said. You'll have to wait for Dave or someone else with the same superior technical knowledge to help you. Or you could search google.

I have my modem linked to the pC via a USB connection and then an ethernet connection between the 360 and PC.

I am useless at this kind of stuff but it works for me.

That's what i had.

Make sure all your settings on the xbox are set to automatic and as long as your just plugging into the router and you have already connected to the internet sucessfully through your PC it should be fine. In the router settings make sure DHCP is enabled.

Also its always worth powering down the router and the modem for a few seconds when changing the settings.

On your router do you have any LED's next to the ethernet ports? If so is the xbox port flashing at all? Have you tried another wire?

When it says IP settings failed it means it is unable to get an IP address from the router so you need DHCP enabled if possible so it assigns it one and you need to make sure that the xbox is not trying to use its own so it should be set to automatic along with the DNS settings on the xbox.

What internet provider do you have?

Oh and forget about PC setting the only things involved here are the xbox, router and moderm, you know your modem is working as you can connect with your PC, so its going to be the router or the xbox.

As long as the xbox is compltetly set to auto which it probably should be seeing as its just meant to connect to the router and access the internet through there then it should be fine.

The router could be more complex to deal with, dunno how much you know about it but you need to get itno the router settings, usually you can do this by opening a web browser on your pc and enetering the address 192.168.0.1 , but this can be different for different routers, check you manual.

What you should be looking for in your router settings is that DHCP is enabled , and if you have an option for it tick Plug and Play operation which automaticly opens ports as services withing the network as for them.

Once your all set then save all your settings and reboot the modem and the router.

If your still having problems you could always try xbox support, or maybe you internet providers support.

Guest MagicNumber9

Thanks for all that mate, ive tried XBOX suport and its like talking to a wall, been doin this all day, there center is in India i think n they cant understand me and i cant understand them!

this is copied from my settings, DCHP looks to be on... i think....

LAN Port

MAC Address  whistling.gif

IP Address  192.168.0.1

DHCP  On

IP Subnet Mask  255.255.255.0

one thing, in my routers basic settings, it has PPPoA, but my XBOX has PPPoE on its settings page, my router will only work with PPPoA when i put the settings in.... dont know if that makes a differnece.

When it says IP ADDRESS - failed, could that indicate i need my ports opened on my router?

Guest MagicNumber9

Aha, think ive got somewhere, ive done something, fuck knows what lol, and its pased the IP test bit, now its failed the "PC Seleected" and on there it mentions openeing ports and mentions windows media center too....

opening ports u think?