FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

34 minutes ago, Disco said:

Playing home games at altitude massively skews it. 

This is definitely true but not sure how much it holds when vast majority of squad now play in Europe, MLS or Mexico. Bolivia get the most benefit out of playing at altitude in SAM in my opinion and they would be bottom of the pile without that factor on their side. Colombia struggling to score goals definitely made qualification bit easier for Ecuador but they are a very solid team in their own right from what I have seen - have watched a bit of SAM qualies on account of casually following Peru

Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia

Man, we can either bow out horrifically or stun the world with this group. I believe, optimistically, we can better Morocco and Croatia, stifle Belgium to a draw and maybe finish 2nd in our group. 

We have goals in us and some decent to good and great players, but worry we'll leak goals against the more seasoned sides. Regardless, stoked to have made it and I know they're capable of moving on. 

Given that it's the norm to do the national anthem thing in world Cup games, will the US do it twice, like once for the world Cup and once because they need to do it whenever there's a group of more than 3 of them together?

Just now, The Bonk said:

Man, we can either bow out horrifically or stun the world with this group. I believe, optimistically, we can better Morocco and Croatia, stifle Belgium to a draw and maybe finish 2nd in our group. 

We have goals in us and some decent to good and great players, but worry we'll leak goals against the more seasoned sides. Regardless, stoked to have made it and I know they're capable of moving on. 

Will Davies be back ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

Will Davies be back ?

Nagelsmann was hoping he'd be back for Villareal in the CL, so it looks like he'll be fine for later this year. He's obviously our difference maker and probably the key to any hope of progressing. 

4 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

What are the American lads on here going to do after the first ten days of the tournament to keep themselves entertained then? 

Don't be like that. :)  I'll tell you a quick story. Many years ago a fellow from London came to our office in the US and I worked with him for a week or so. We talked a little football, this was in the 1990s. I mentioned I loved the World Cup and supported the USA first and foremost but I told him I always root for England also (which is true) , so I had a team to support with a chance to win. He deadpanned "If you wanted a chance to win, why did you pick England?"

17 minutes ago, madras said:

Given that it's the norm to do the national anthem thing in world Cup games, will the US do it twice, like once for the world Cup and once because they need to do it whenever there's a group of more than 3 of them together?

There are at least four or five anthems. Plenty to go round.

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

At least GSTQ is singable and doesn't go on too long.

You need a voice like an opera singer to do the Star Spangled Banner.

Best one is the Welsh, I have to admit.

La Marseillaise has to be up there ?

Boring group for Brazil. Had both the Swiss and Serbia in the last World Cup and Cameroon prior to that. Also a difficult group in the sense Brazil should be beating them all, but a draw against any wouldn't be a total shock.

Weird that Senegal v Netherlands will be the opener of the World Cup apparently. 

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Qatar open, shirley?

Doesn't seem like that. FIFA adjusted the schedule to fit with the most profitable TV times.

So on november 21st. Senegal v Netherlands is the first game and then England plays Iran before the grand opening ceremony with Qatar playing Ecuador. 

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/6a616c6cf19bc57a/original/FWC-2022-Match-Schedule.pdf