FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

On 26/11/2022 at 18:28, Shak said:

Which team was the most surprising winner of the World Cup, does anyone think?

We've obviously not had a massively shocking World Cup winner, but has it always been won by one of the most fancied teams pre tournament?

Italy in 2006 maybe? Don't think you can ever be too surprised by Italy doing well in a WC but I remember it being somewhat surprising.

In my lifetime, Italy 2006, without question 

Edited by Kid Icarus

41 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

God help us if Australia/NZ ever hosted a World Cup. Most of the matches would be played during the night our time.

Would kick off times not be similar to 2002? 

59 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Reckon if Oz/NZ got the World Cup I'd have to just go. Take a month off work. Could not be dealing with games in the middle of the night. 

Thought exactly the same, at least fly to somewhere in Asia for a month. I often go to sleep at 6-7am but that WC would absolutely wreck me.

Won’t happen for ages at least. Be some horrific oval stadiums too. At least the NFL ones next time are the right shape. Probably make an effort to get to 2026 mind. Just pick a city and have a week or something, Azteca is already on the bucket list. 

Just now, Disco said:

Won’t happen for ages at least. Be some horrific oval stadiums too. At least the NFL ones next time are the right shape. Probably make an effort to get to 2026 mind. Just pick a city and have a week or something, Azteca is already on the bucket list. 

If Denver would’ve been selected I would’ve recommended hanging here for sure. Short flight to the Azteca too. Instead they gave it to Kansas City. :lol: 

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

If Denver would’ve been selected I would’ve recommended hanging here for sure. Short flight to the Azteca too. Instead they gave it to Kansas City. :lol: 

No idea what the selection criteria was but Denver doesn’t have an MLS team does it? Makes somewhat sense if so. Couldn’t tell you the first thing about Kansas mind.

26 minutes ago, Disco said:

No idea what the selection criteria was but Denver doesn’t have an MLS team does it? Makes somewhat sense if so. Couldn’t tell you the first thing about Kansas mind.

Yeah we do have an MLS team here (Colorado Rapids). They’ve been seeing Kansas City as some hotbed of soccer though so I think they were always going to get it even though we’ve hosted plenty of tournament stuff here in Denver before and sold out Mike High (~75k capacity). 

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

In my lifetime, Italy 2006, without question 

I'ts going to sound odd but I recall 1998 being a bit of an upset. Yes, France were hosts with a set of players that in hindsight is one of the best WC teams ever assembled (I'm talking of course of the likes of Guivarch, which you'll surely fondly remember), but at the time they were still unproven and France had been poor in the runup to the tournament, while Brazil were massive massive favorites.

3 hours ago, Disco said:

You could pick one of the coasts - East or West and then make it a road trip watching games in different cities. Combine that strategically with flights to places like Azteca or Denver?

4 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

You could pick one of the coasts - East or West and then make it a road trip watching games in different cities. Combine that strategically with flights to places like Azteca or Denver?

Aye plenty of possibilities for the neutral as I’d not be too arsed on who I watched Seattle/Vancouver is an appealing option too, two places I’ve always wanted to go and also not too hot. Stadium in Monterrey is an absolute banger too. 

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Aye plenty of possibilities for the neutral as I’d not be too arsed on who I watched Seattle/Vancouver is an appealing option too, two places I’ve always wanted to go and also not too hot. Stadium in Monterrey is an absolute banger too. 

Pacific NW would be a cracking trip. Both venues are walkable if you stay downtown in either city, which won’t be the case for all venues.

38 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Pacific NW would be a cracking trip. Both venues are walkable if you stay downtown in either city, which won’t be the case for all venues.

The best way. Might be wrong but has it not been a conscious effort from a few of the MLS teams to get their stadiums on centre rather the big NFL stadiums further out? Remember reading something on it with possibly Houston as an eg.

Anyway, I’d go wherever, cost permitting. Probably the one big chance unless 2030 goes to Spain/Portugal. 

3 minutes ago, Disco said:

The best way. Might be wrong but has it not been a conscious effort from a few of the MLS teams to get their stadiums on centre rather the big NFL stadiums further out? Remember reading something on it with possibly Houston as an eg.

Anyway, I’d go wherever, cost permitting. Probably the one big chance unless 2030 goes to Spain/Portugal. 

I think there are only like two or three teams max that play in places that meet the attendance threshold. Everyone else plays in soccer specific stadiums which in America means like <25k. 

The only cities I know where an MLS team plays in a large enough spot are Atlanta, Vancouver (I think they’re still in the BC Palace?), Charlotte plays in the football stadium too, the Revolution still play at Gillette as far as I know, andddd not sure who else. 

NYCFC plays in Yankee stadium. :lol: 

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

I think there are only like two or three teams max that play in places that meet the attendance threshold. Everyone else plays in soccer specific stadiums which in America means like <25k. 

The only cities I know where an MLS team plays in a large enough spot are Atlanta, Vancouver (I think they’re still in the BC Palace?), Charlotte plays in the football stadium too, the Revolution still play at Gillette as far as I know, andddd not sure who else. 

NYCFC plays in Yankee stadium. :lol: 

Sorry wast clear at all. I meant those MLS stadiums, nowt to do the WC. Like I say I’m sure read/listened that clubs wanted city centre stadiums as it’s easier to get folk there and is an easier sell which is exactly how it should be. 

17 minutes ago, Disco said:

Sorry wast clear at all. I meant those MLS stadiums, nowt to do the WC. Like I say I’m sure read/listened that clubs wanted city centre stadiums as it’s easier to get folk there and is an easier sell which is exactly how it should be. 

You’re absolutely right. To get a franchise in MLS now (and has been for like eight years now I think?) you have to have concrete plans/funding/etc for a downtown soccer specific stadium. 

There have been some loopholes I think but overall the entire focus of MLS is to get teams playing downtown, connected to everything. Orlando City was a great example of that. 

Philadelphia Union sold the MLS on the concept that they'd build a stadium in Chester (very depressed area 25 mins outside of Philly), and then build a bunch of cool shit around it and completely refresh the city.

Haven't built a fucking thing since the stadium went up 12 years ago.

Thankfully the World Cup games will be at the Linc in good ol SOUTH PHILLY.