FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

21 hours ago, Wullie said:

Me, any other time: expanding the World Cup to 48 teams is absolutely ridiculous. More shite teams, more dull games, just to make a few more quid.

Me today: is there still time for them to expand THIS World Cup? This empty 10am slot is unpalatable.

100% this :lol:

Absolutely ridiculous that the 4 slots a day glory lasted barely a week. Sod fairness of the final group games all being played at the same time, just give me more World Cup football to watch! 

4 slots a day was immense.

I'm up for more teams and 4 games a day. It's quite mental but I like it. I want to see more minnows as they often bring the madness, and it's been class for the skiving community. 

Scotland might even qualify. 

Only thing I don't like about the carnage is the format they've decided, groups of three with the top two going through is going to be a bit shit, I kind of wish they'd just done a straight 48 team knockout tournament, that carnage would have been unreal :lol: 

3 hours ago, 54 said:

Only thing I don't like about the carnage is the format they've decided, groups of three with the top two going through is going to be a bit shit, I kind of wish they'd just done a straight 48 team knockout tournament, that carnage would have been unreal :lol: 

Nowhere near enough games :shifty:

On 29/11/2022 at 05:06, Wullie said:

Me, any other time: expanding the World Cup to 48 teams is absolutely ridiculous. More shite teams, more dull games, just to make a few more quid.

Me today: is there still time for them to expand THIS World Cup? This empty 10am slot is unpalatable.

:lol: Sat here like Pablo Escobar.

4 hours ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

I'm up for more teams and 4 games a day. It's quite mental but I like it. I want to see more minnows as they often bring the madness, and it's been class for the skiving community. 

Careful now.

Europe only gets three extra slots anyway. Africa and Asia are the main beneficiaries along with NZ.

13 hours ago, 54 said:

I am hoping that FIFA follow their example of realising a summer World Cup in Qatar was impossible, and fix this idiotic format. Three team groups make absolutely no sense. :lol:Instead of the drama, excitement, and permutations we have seen the past two nights with simultaneous matches, there will be dead rubbers, allegations of collusion, and teams that are essentially eliminated after playing one match. 48 is a workable number if you just double the current format of the AFCON and EUROs. Even just having 64 teams would make much more sense. FIFA have attempted to expand the number of teams without increasing the number of matches, it is just foolishness.

One aspect of 2026, I am very excited by is a World Cup with unique stadiums and a different "look". Since in 2010, 14, 18, and 22 the majority of the stadiums were either built or renovated in a way that was purpose-built to hold World Cup matches and they all look quite similar as a result, tbh. Specifically, the last two look identical to me, the only visual cue that a match was in Qatar rather than Russia is the empty VIP seating and number of people in Arab dress. Matches in NFL stadiums and Azteca will be an improvement in that regard.

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

They really should just make the Euros 32 teams and WC 64 teams and dump the fancy group stages that have anything other than 4 teams with 2 qualifying from each group. 

Single elimination WC bracket baby

Edited by Tomato Deuce

9 minutes ago, Pata said:

They really should just make the Euros 32 teams and WC 64 teams and dump the fancy group stages that have anything other than 4 teams with 2 qualifying from each group. 

Finnish bloke wants everyone to qualify for major tournaments whilst his team are half decent is it? Qualification would atrocious.

WC at 32 is perfect albeit Europe has too many places and get Euros back down to 16.

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Finnish bloke wants everyone to qualify for major tournaments whilst his team are half decent is it? Qualification would atrocious.

WC at 32 is perfect albeit Europe has too many places and get Euros back down to 16.

:lol:  Entirely possible.

I do agree that 32 and 16 are perfect but FIFA and UEFA clearly want more teams so I would just skip these 24 and 48 formats and go all in to keep the group stage structure as it was.

Edited by Pata

On 30/11/2022 at 07:47, TaylorJ_01 said:

"skiving community" :lol: