FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

Which team was the most surprising winner of the World Cup, does anyone think?

We've obviously not had a massively shocking World Cup winner, but has it always been won by one of the most fancied teams pre tournament?

Italy in 2006 maybe? Don't think you can ever be too surprised by Italy doing well in a WC but I remember it being somewhat surprising.

Italy were not really a shock in 2006, pretty sure they went off favs in the final against France and were probably shorter than 10/1 before the tournament started, since then winners have all been in top few in the outright betting. Don't think there has ever been a shock winner to rival likes of Denmark or Greece in Euros, not in my lifetime anyway.

Yeah they didn't get out of the group in the 2004 Euros and were knocked out by Korea in 2002.

Did some googling.

Were ranked #12 in the world at the end of 2005 and were 10/1 going into the tournament.

About the equivalent of Spain or Germany coming into this World Cup.

31 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Good question, anything pre-86 I don't have a clue. Think France were fairly well fancied in 98 being the hosts and having a good side, but they'd had a history of fucking up and (like England) didn't even qualify for 94. 

Aye thought about France but any team that's half decent you have to fancy as a host, to some extent?

3 hours ago, Shak said:

Which team was the most surprising winner of the World Cup, does anyone think?

We've obviously not had a massively shocking World Cup winner, but has it always been won by one of the most fancied teams pre tournament?

Italy in 2006 maybe? Don't think you can ever be too surprised by Italy doing well in a WC but I remember it being somewhat surprising.

italy 1982.

rossi basically getting them through.

brazil or france should havewalked it.

england went downhill after a decent first 2 matches.

It's definitely a bit shite. If the teams in this World Cup were in the premier league most would be relegated to the Championship and never seen again. The likes of Denmark and Argentina would probably be mid table, leaving England (with a different manager), Spain and France to fight for the champions league positions. Only Brazil would have a chance of winning it and Man City are probably better than them anyhow.

22 hours ago, huss9 said:

italy 1982.

rossi basically getting them through.

brazil or france should havewalked it.

england went downhill after a decent first 2 matches.

That 82 Brazil side was simply awesome. Great to watch and full of pure talent.

France probably peaked in 84 at the Euros? - wonderful midfield.

I know it doesn't seem popular but I've enjoyed the WC, obviously being in the winter is still very strange and not something I'd want to happen again 

There have been some poor games (some of the 0-0 games) but then there have been some brilliant games/results/moments. Saudi winning, Japan winning, Iran winning, Morocco today, Messi stepping up, Mbappe making up for a shite Euro's etc). 

I'd say it's perhaps missing some more raker goals but hopefully we get them in the R16 onwards 

I just think there have been far too many cagey matches and when things have been more open there’s been a lack of quality. My main hope for the tournament is that Messi puts on a show and drags Argentina all the way or we get an unusual winner who’s never won before. Couldn’t really give a shit about England’s tournament as the football we’re playing is hard to get behind 

19 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I just think there have been far too many cagey matches and when things have been more open there’s been a lack of quality. My main hope for the tournament is that Messi puts on a show and drags Argentina all the way or we get an unusual winner who’s never won before. Couldn’t really give a shit about England’s tournament as the football we’re playing is hard to get behind 

Although I can't see it I would absolutely love for Messi/Argentina to win it, would be immense 

Conversely a Portugal win would be unbearable (The messages from Ronaldo fans would be sickening) so could do with them getting knocked out asap 

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Although I can't see it I would absolutely love for Messi/Argentina to win it, would be immense 

Conversely a Portugal win would be unbearable (The messages from Ronaldo fans would be sickening) so could do with them getting knocked out asap 

Goes both ways, hence, why Bruno should win it.

After 28 games there has been 67 goals - exactly the same as in 2018. Definitely feels surprising to me. Those stats massively topped up by the 7-0 and 6-2 score lines I suppose to offset the 0-0s.

Still think the football and quality of goals has been far lower, but it gives me some hope it might pick up.

Genuinely glad that I'm going to get my days back on Tuesday though. 

Edited by ponsaelius

6 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Anyone worked out if England would be better winning their group or not given all the unexpected results? I think Brazil would still be on the other half if they win their group.

All I know is if England win their group which they should do its pretty much guaranteed we'll end up playing France in the quarter finals which I have no confidence in winning. 

Come 2nd and it'll be Netherlands I'd imagine in the last 16 which is probably a 60/40 in Englands favour and a quarter final against Argentina (assuming they win their group and then beat Denmark/Australia) 

Not sure which I'd prefer to be honest :footy: