FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

57 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Still think the football and quality of goals has been far lower, but it gives me some hope it might pick up.

At the same time and it’s probably just recency bias it feels like there’s been way more “wew” moments even if actually the standard of goals has been pretty poor too. 

Think it’s been absolutely fine personally. International football quality is always worse but more rides on it so it’s a good trade off. Most of the groups being set up for a show down/shenanigans is great too and only really Brazil and France have looked genuinely good IMO. Be great if there’s a few new knockout teams too. 

Plus even if you think it’s shite from a watching product it’ll never be as bad as 2010 and the incessant BRRRRRRRRRRRR. 

49 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

My enjoyment probably isn't helped by my annoyance that that first NUFC season I've enjoyed in years is being interrupted.

Definetly a factor for me, our best season in years ffs. 

We'd be glad of the break if we were still being subjected to bruceball. 

Was speaking to a family member who’s an Arsenal goer today and he was saying the mood is very similar amongst their fans. Didn’t want the PL to end with a crippling fear of players getting knacked (Saka and Jesus for him), or it going tits up when it returns but also with an acknowledgment that some return to their natural mean will inevitably happen at some point. 

Gonna be interesting to see what happens either way for the whole league. 

I’m a bit surprised at the comments a about the football being bad. To me it’s just like the group stages of most other World Cups I remember since 1998, aside from 2010, which was notably worse with the football only Forlan knew how to kick. Some dull matches devoid of quality or attacking football and some exciting matches with a fair share of shocks. International football is often a bit cagey and defensive and the quality is by and large nowhere near the best teams in the Champions League etc. We knew what to expect in general. 

Of course like most people I don’t like the timing or choice of location, but I don’t think that’s really changed how good or bad the football is. 

Edited by St. Maximin

18 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I know it doesn't seem popular but I've enjoyed the WC, obviously being in the winter is still very strange and not something I'd want to happen again 

There have been some poor games (some of the 0-0 games) but then there have been some brilliant games/results/moments. Saudi winning, Japan winning, Iran winning, Morocco today, Messi stepping up, Mbappe making up for a shite Euro's etc). 

I'd say it's perhaps missing some more raker goals but hopefully we get them in the R16 onwards 

The enjoyment has shot further up after the last 2 games, sensational stuff 

Just now, Away Toon said:

The Newcastle contingent are keeping a low profile so far with only Trippier starting and the way he's playing he'll soon be on the bench with the others. Shows what having a good manager can do.

I thought he’s been good personally

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think this has been a great World Cup in terms of football.

Good amount of goals. Upsets. Some good football.

And more teams giving it a real go. Entertainmenr and quality wise it's been better than the last Euros.

Couldn't agree with this less, to be honest. 

Although the last couple of days have definitely been a big improvement now that teams are needing to get results.

The last euros had poor teams qualifying with 3 points.  A lot of boring matches.  

Outside of Italy and some of the games in their half of the draw, the entertainment and quality was generally low. Wales got to the last 16, scoring 2 goals or something.  

I loved Englands Euros run.  But was the football good? Was it entertaining as a neutral? Did particular players stand out with quality? Legend defining moments? 

Me, any other time: expanding the World Cup to 48 teams is absolutely ridiculous. More shite teams, more dull games, just to make a few more quid.

Me today: is there still time for them to expand THIS World Cup? This empty 10am slot is unpalatable.

4 games a day is too much imo. Its hard to skive work and watch all of them. With 3 you could at least get something done at work between games. 

Also, its shortened the tournament. We'd be on for at least a few for days of group games yet, but not we're at the final group games already. Gone too fast.