Charlie Austin

HawK

Just what we need....another striker who relies on decent service!

:lol: kin'hell

No pleasing some folk.

Do you honestly believe he is what we need?

Are you honestly gunna whinge if we end up with mitrovic and Austin starting up top? :lol:

We've Aarons and De Jong back and we've added Wijnaldum, service will obviously be better.

I'd agree about QPR not panicking if he had more than a year left on his contract, their finances are already horrendous enough without losing £12m.  Yeah they'd lose a goal scorer but that kind of money could really improve their side.  Also at least that way the cash would stay in the club for the future as the player/s they bring in with it would be on long term contracts (unlike Austin).

We'll see what happens, I'd personally be very surprised if they don't panic like fuck towards the end of the window.

No pleasing some folk.

Are you honestly gunna whinge if we end up with mitrovic and Austin starting up top? :lol:

We've Aarons and De Jong back and we've added Wijnaldum, service will obviously be better.

Whinge isn't the word i'd use but i wouldn't be happy for a few reasons, mainly because i don't believe they can play together also if we played both of them the 3 midfielders you mentioned at least one of them wouldn't play.There's much bigger priorities than getting another striker IMO.

Also funnily enough i saw a stat today that Austin took nearly 100 more shot attempts than Cisse to score 7 more goals last season, absolutely convinced he wouldn't score at anywhere near the same rate for us as he did for QPR.

I'd agree about QPR not panicking if he had more than a year left on his contract, their finances are already horrendous enough without losing £12m.  Yeah they'd lose a goal scorer but that kind of money could really improve their side.  Also at least that way the cash would stay in the club for the future as the player/s they bring in with it would be on long term contracts (unlike Austin).

We'll see what happens, I'd personally be very surprised if they don't panic like fuck towards the end of the window.

I can't see them holding onto a player who wants to be away when they could have £10-12m instead. They are just threatening to keep him to keep the price as high as possible. I don't think we're desperate by any means. What's the worst that could happen if we don't sign him? We'll play Cisse instead, and at 30 he's good for another 2-3 seasons at least.

Guest taps01

No pleasing some folk.

Us fans can always find something to whinge about!  Granted its a decent front two (potentially) but i just think the wide areas in our team need addressing more so than another forward.   

As I've said before Wijnaldum and De Jong have the two central positions wrapped up. The other one will be a holding player. Since we have no real right sided player Sissoko fits in too easy.

Aarons must start based on pre season.

But who is that holding midfielder though? We might have some options, but they're all poor. And in my mind that's a key position if we're to do anything about our horrible defence.

I'm willing to see how it goes, convinced we'll have to get a quality option come January though.

Right hand side of a diamond or midfield 3 imo.

When have you ever seen a successful diamond formation in the premiership?

It's the stuff of fantasy. We've struggled to get a 433/451 system to work. The only real success we have ever had is with 442.

It's the stuff of fantasy. We've struggled to get a 433/451 system to work. The only real success we have ever had is with 442.

For us? never. There's been plenty of examples on other teams though, although almost all of them had plenty of pace in the side though which outside of Aarons we do lack tbh.

For us? never. There's been plenty of examples on other teams though, although almost all of them had plenty of pace in the side though which outside of Aarons we do lack tbh.

I can't think of one in this league.

I saw it with a midfield which included Michael Owen, Nicky Butt, Geremi and Joey Barton.

I can't think of one in this league.

Liverpool for starters when they nearly won the league a couple of years ago, Wenger has used a diamond multiple times and Ancelotti did. I'm not particularly convinced it can't work but you do need a lot of the pace for it to be viable and as of right now we don't have it IMO.

Also as bowlingcrofty pointed out, Keegan used one to somehow great effect with our mismatch of players in his 2nd stint :lol: still don't know how that worked.