England

Yorkie

Bland as fuck England. Hard to get any excitement from them until the latter stages of a tournament.

Fans are shite and songs are shite. We probably have like 3/4k who are genuinely proper England fans who know their shit. 

A lot of the rest are either like me, or are band wagon jumping dickheads who toss pints for no reason other than to be #Lads and frankly it's just a bit, well, urgh.

Well, I got that off my chest... 

Scotland on the other hand... 

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Bland as fuck England. Hard to get any excitement from them until the latter stages of a tournament.

Fans are shite and songs are shite. We probably have like 3/4k who are genuinely proper England fans who know their shit. 

A lot of the rest are either like me, or are band wagon jumping dickheads who toss pints for no reason other than to be #Lads and frankly it's just a bit, well, urgh.

Well, I got that off my chest... 

Scotland on the other hand... 

Agree with all this..apart from scotland/tartan army. Bunch of bellends anarl

36 minutes ago, Heron said:

Just think they're a lot more unified in their Scottishness and just having a good time. Seems too forced with England.

Unified in their hate for all things English. I'm married to a glasweigan and have found the rangers/celtic sides far less bitter and twisted towards me than the tartan army types

12 hours ago, OoOGazOoO said:

And San Marino's -45, poor chuffers!

Kind of admire them in a way....everyone knows you're not International footballers, you know before you even start you're going to be bent over and s***ged. Everyone knows you will go back to your real job after the match.

But if i lived in a place that small with so few options, I'd happily jump at the chance to be called up no matter how embarrassing it might be.

It's always been about the journey with Southgate's England so, whether you like him or not, it makes total sense to provide clarity and a certainty that he's the manager for the foreseeable; reaffirming that sense of this being a long game. Instability going into the World Cup wouldn't help anyone.

We're not wedded to the prospect, either. If the team performs badly or even just underachieves in Qatar, they'll probably just sack him. 

Think he’s done well enough at the previous two tournaments to fail hard in Qatar and still get the Euros in 2024 tbh.

Not everyone will be pleased because he’s pragmatic but he’s shown signs of wanting to change that a bit since the Euros imo.

We’ve already achieved nearly as much as any national team can possibly achieve. We could win a tournament, but that might come down to a single performance or a single incident more than the manager. 

It’s a weird job being a national coach, he seems quite good at it. He’s certainly transformed the England brand and the culture around the team, which was absolutely awful before. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We’ve already achieved nearly as much as any national team can possibly achieve. We could win a tournament, but that might come down to a single performance or a single incident more than the manager. 

It’s a weird job being a national coach, he seems quite good at it. He’s certainly transformed the England brand and the culture around the team, which was absolutely awful before. 

He has also been somewhat fortunate with the players he has at his disposable. Previous England squads have had plenty of complete arseholes and mercenaries, such as the John Terrys and the Ashley Coles etc. They were never out of the headlines, for the wrong reasons constantly.

Southgate seems to have a squad of model professionals like himself, in comparison to (for example) the team that Sven had.

12 minutes ago, Klaus said:

He has also been somewhat fortunate with the players he has at his disposable. Previous England squads have had plenty of complete arseholes and mercenaries, such as the John Terrys and the Ashley Coles etc. They were never out of the headlines, for the wrong reasons constantly.

Southgate seems to have a squad of model professionals like himself, in comparison to (for example) the team that Sven had.

Could be argued there still are arseholes but he has managed them, or not included them even.

He is hugely responsible for the feel good factor at the camps and therefore in the squad and team.

Think he's done a pretty great job. Just needs the rub of the green and the team, a little more big game experience. Which they have now.

24 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Poor decision, but unsurprising.

We’ll win fuck all with him in charge, which will be a complete travesty with the talent at our disposal.

A bit like Martinez. He gets accused of underachieving but Southgate never seems to. 

26 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Poor decision, but unsurprising.

We’ll win fuck all with him in charge, which will be a complete travesty with the talent at our disposal.

Couldn’t agree more, he’s lucked his way into a semi final at the World Cup and then cost us the win in the euro final.

Southgate has been the best fit I've seen for England in my lifetime. A World Cup semi and a Euro final is a fantastic achievement and he's undoubtedly earned a shot at World Cup 2022.

However, tactically he's not top bracket and we're often exposed when he comes up against someone who is. Again, he's earned the right learn, as he has done throughout his tenure, but I think he'll struggle again against the likes of Mancini and Enrique.

He's a good fit inso far as he's a compliant FA bootlicker who won't rock the boat and gets an easy ride from the media because he dresses well and is a nice guy.

Maybe that's what's needed at international level these days - especially in this country - but either way, I'm pleased he won't be managing this club any time soon.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Draw for the next round of the nations league just got drawn for anyone who gives a flying fuck.

722af67752383967bfc61aebad717017.jpg

Tough draw for England (I give a fuck), but we shouldn’t fear anyone. Be some class games hopefully. Every group looks strong/tough.

Edited by HTT II

3 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

I love the NL. Will probably go to Germany away.

I think it’s more open than regular international footy.