England

Yorkie

8 hours ago, Froggy said:

Mental that Shaw and Maguire are in there. Both have been shit and have lost their places to new signings almost instantly.

Mental that Rashford and Sancho are not there either. Picked on form my arse.

Sancho and Rashford were picked in multiple squads when club form was poor and they didn't deserve it to be fair too. Still think both have a good chance of going to the WC anyway. 

Doubt we'll take both Tammy and Toney so think Rashford will take that spot and it's probably a toss up between Bowen and Sancho. 

International football football, you want players good on the ball. Can't think of any situation where I'd rather have Bowen than Sancho. Wouldn't want Bowen starting, coming off the bench, anything. Just can't see it working for him on the international stage. 

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Burn and Targett aren’t England quality for me.

Targett has had one bad match for us since he joined. He’s been steady and reliable, in the best league in the world, against some of the best wingers in the world. What makes him not England quality?

48 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Targett has had one bad match for us since he joined. He’s been steady and reliable, in the best league in the world, against some of the best wingers in the world. What makes him not England quality?

I also don’t think he’s had many bad games - but he isn’t an international class footballer.  If you want proof, look at the gulf in quality between him and our FB on the opposite flank.  Even then, there is an argument that Trippier isn’t even one of England’s best three right backs.

This isn’t to say that Targett isn’t a good PL FB, but he isn’t England quality for me. 

Need to respect the fact that certain players playing together consistently builds something stronger. That's Southgate's single redeeming feature for me. 

If England are ever going to actually win anything, we need to build a core of players to build a team around - like you would want at club level. 

Southgate is half way, but in my opinion the manager/coach to do this. Example, playing Trippier left back. He wants Tripps in the squad, as he's obviously good for the team and won't let the side down, but Trippier isn't and never will be a left back; doing so strangles you're whole game - even a side like Andorra can cut off your build up play when you have a right footed left back. 

It's clear to see we've talented players, but I've no trust in Southgate to actually have 11 men on a field and win when it counts. 

It's always been laughable to me that we even hired Southgate. Other countries want to hire their best, or hire proven winners - Del Bosque/Spain, Scolari/Brazil-Portugal. We've a bloke who relegated boro.

3 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

WIll be James at LB surely?

I hate that too tbh. They should have a left footer out there, as Southgate usually has his full backs overlap.

Anytime he plays these right footers out there they always cut back onto their right foot and don't deliver the ball into the box well enough.