England

Yorkie

Just now, Wolfcastle said:

It'll actually be cooler than the 1994 World Cup most of the time.

I doubt that'll get mentioned ever though.

Is it not going to be super humid? I don’t know much about the climate there at that time of year 

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

It'll actually be cooler than the 1994 World Cup (temperature wise only) most of the time.

I doubt that'll get mentioned ever though.

With global warning there's a pretty good chance a lot of potential host countries will not be viable for summer tournaments going forward.

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Massive mistake to give him another tournament with this set of players, you've been terrible for ages. Southgate did well to unite the country behind the team but he's so far out of his depth now.

On what planet do you not give another tournament to a manager who just got us to a semi and then a final though? That's literally the deep end 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Southgate/Cooper job swap in January I reckon.

Cant see Southgate getting another club job mind. He looks like a lost bloke there. He should probably chuck it now. Still got the best tournament record since Ramsey? No?

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've watched England, managed by better managers and with better players put in shit performance after shit performance at international tournaments, losing and drawing against the likes of Iceland, Algeria, Romania, Sweden, and USA.

Ahh yeah, that was a good one. Thank you, Rob Green.

Why doesn't he at least try different setups these last two games before the world cup. Things haven't been looking good for a while.

This current England squad is more suited to having more of an attack minded approach. 

Could see England not making it out of their world cup group at this rate. Loss to USA, draw with Wales and draw with Iran. Sent back home.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Mason Mount even more so, he's the inverse Harry Maguire.

Even for Chelsea though, Mount's quite a functional player, not very flashy, easy to see why he'd look ordinary in a team not playing well. Foden's a beautiful player but he was struggling to do even the simple stuff tonight.

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Is it not going to be super humid? I don’t know much about the climate there at that time of year 

Don't know about humidity, Just know the average in New York for July is 85 and Qatar rarely hits that in December.

As i recall it was the humid venues that caused the most trouble back then. - Just checked, its again supposed to be a bit lower in Qatar than pretty much anywhere in America in the summer

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

There can't be many out of that lot tonight who'd get into our squad never mind starting 11. 

Donnarumma, Barella and one or two of the CBs imo.

Edit. Didn't notice 'squad' but those would be starting.

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

Even for Chelsea though, Mount's quite a functional player, not very flashy, easy to see why he'd look ordinary in a team not playing well. Foden's a beautiful player but he was struggling to do even the simple stuff tonight.

He's a system player, and he knows the England one from doing it at Chelsea, but he's nowhere near the same player. At Chelsea he scores or assists in 2 out of every 3 matches, but at a base level he's much more involved and has a bit of flair about him as well. For England all of his work seems functional and mainly off the ball.

Agree about Foden as well like. Sterling seems much deeper now as well.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

On what planet do you not give a manager who gets us to a semi and then a final though? That's literally the deep end 

On paper that's true but, and I don't care for the English national team so I can't say, a closer look can still warrant this.

Gullit/Dalglish got us to cup finals but it was wholly appropriate they were sacked. At international level the same for Sacchi (WC final loss) and Bilardo (one WC final one WC win). Arguably even Ranieri at Leicester.

Edited by Wolfcastle

28 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

He got proper lucky with the teams we had to face.  The second we played a decent side, we were shite.

Gareth LUCKYBOYgate.

Yep. England clean lost three games out of seven at the 2018 World Cup, beaten by every good side they played. Looks a lot more spectacular than it was. Compared to say Italia 90 when the only clean loss was the play-off and played much tougher opponents. Same results but really not the same things.

No qualms about the Euros though - never watched a single tbh

Edited by Wolfcastle

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Can’t believe there are people who rate Southgate as a manager, my biggest fear for us is that he ends up getting our job one day.

His record speaks for itself. If he's run his race now, then fair enough, but his choices prior to now have been vindicated at every turn. The biggest one being turning the national team into a club team that plays at international tournaments. No one did that before and it got us to a semi and a final; the latter off which hadn't happened in over half a century. He's no PFM.

Fair enough if you don't rate him but to not understand why some do is just strange. He's been perfect for England, even if he's not the greatest in-game tactician.