England

Yorkie

Modric was head and shoulders above any of our players like. Virtually flawless, an absolutely top class footballer.

Think I remember him giving the ball away once, and straight away he got back and tackled it out for a throw-in.

Ballon D'Or if they beat France

Should win it anyway. Cronaldo did nothing in the CL semis or final

I agree, but a WC win would surely cement it :lol:

Ah man, we should have fucking won this. :(

Whilst Croatia played better in the second half - over the 90 we had the better chances, each well worked.  Croatia's goal though were avoidable - just defence lapses - in other words preventable.  That's the saddest things about this for me - as you say we should won.:sad:

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38] why is modric giving it the big one, they were absolutely gash against jobbers like Denmark and Russia

"Croatia might be more tired" is hardly giving them jip either. [emoji38]

:lol: why is modric giving it the big one, they were absolutely gash against jobbers like Denmark and Russia

Probably cos they're through to the World Cup Final. Incredible achievement with their population

Lisbon 2004.

We played Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA Cup quarter-final, the year before we got to the semi's, lost due to 2 Drogba goals for Marseille. This year though things were going to be different, it was our competition to win, the same competition that we last won would be the one that ended the run of not winning anything. I was sure of it, right from the full time whistle against Marseille. The competition opened up like the World Cup did for England, Sporting Lisbon was probably the only team who could beat us left in it.

We won the first leg 1-0, but the teams were tightly matched. In the 2nd leg we got an early goal to go 2-0 up on AGG. We missed chances, we fell apart, we lost 4-1 in the end. I cried myself to sleep.

I toughened myself from then on. Even with all the good things and hope that has been since then, I never expected us to win anything, but would always hope we would. England I pretty much just wrote off full stop.

Despite not trying and being really calm, collected, and balanced about our chances I think somewhere I believed it would happen for England because although I'm not crying now, I'm the closest that I have ever been to feeling like I did that night.

Tonight was England's night in Lisbon. 

Would love to see the photos the photographer who got piled on by the Croatian players during the Mandzukic goal aftermath took. If he was ready they could be some iconic images.

Dh2mhNZWsAAkGK1.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Dh2mhV6W4AAq1Ya.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Dh2hD-HXkAEHuse.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Dh2f54XXkAAjbt9.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Dh2uFx-XcAEOnda.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Dh2yfN0WAAA6HWl.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Dh2hD-JX4AEr0rC.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Guest firetotheworks

Would’ve lost my balls if he’d name checked the sun and mail tbf.

Not sure why that wouldve been so outrageous. You have trouble finding them at the best of times.

Branko's house

Ctrl+F 'ball' 2 results

Ctrl+F 'soap' 0 results

Off to bed, I'm so pissed off. What a fuck up of a wonderful opportunity. Cannot get my head round Kane fluffing that double chance in the first half.

Dragging the first shot was poor, but how he hit the post from the rebound was as baffling as whatever bullshit decision the linesman ended up giving.

You can be proud of England. Finally, and probably for the first time since I've been watching, England look like they have something in the semblance of a team on their hands. And they're young. There's a good spine to this squad from Pickford, Stones and Maguire towards Henderson, Sterling and Kane and although some of them might never develop to be world class that's not really how international football works. I know it's a cliché but a national team has to be more than the sum of its parts and it seems like Southgate is onto something in that aspect. Not to mention that there is finally a good feeling and atmosphere around it. Today you were beaten by experience. Beaten by a better team. Not necessarily beaten by a better collection of individuals but very clearly a more coherent and astute side. No shame in that, keep the momentum going and England can cause some serious damage at least for the next couple of tournaments.