England

Yorkie

I think the key to the result was your midfield three getting visibly tired in the second half which meant more time and space to Croatia's best players. Alli and Lingard playing 120 minutes after being wasted after about 60 minutes is ridiculous.

Not sure how much to blame Southgate for that or your squad/player pool as LC and Dier were the only options to replace them. I'm definitely certain that Delph and Welbeck shouldn't have gone to Russia as they were taking valuable spots for no reason at all.

What are the rules with trying to play on when the other team are celebrating a goal? Saw a video of England trying it earlier. Think it happened another time in the tournament too and it's honestly the first I've ever heard of it

I think the key to the result was your midfield three getting visibly tired in the second half which meant more time and space to Croatia's best players. Alli and Lingard playing 120 minutes after being wasted after about 60 minutes is ridiculous.

Not sure how much to blame Southgate for that or your squad/player pool as LC and Dier were the only options to replace them. I'm definitely certain that Delph and Welbeck shouldn't have gone to Russia as they were taking valuable spots for no reason at all.

Yeah, good point. Southgate was clearly reluctant to change a side that was getting results, but it did mean the midfielders playing a string of hard games in a short space of time.

Without getting into a debate as to how strong the alternatives were, we were missing some good players through form and fitness that would have made it a lot easier to rest a few. I'm thinking of Lallana, Barkley, Oxlade-C and Wilshere. Hopefully Wilshere isn't a busted flush.

like many i was fairly critical of some of southgates squad choices as it was clear there was never going to be a plan b...on balance it's hard to criticise him because he had a clear idea of how to play and stuck with it, just falling short

hopefully england have some youngsters coming through that can fit into the side soon because the likes of dier shouldn't be anywhere near a game in CM vs people like modric/rakitic or anyone of that class

as it turned out the pre tournament worry was essentially correct; that once they played a good midfield/system that could control the game then they'd struggle because the entire system is based on them being charge....that they could have scored 2/3 in the first half is irrelevant to that imo, if every team scored every chance they had football would have a very different game

there's an argument that once croatia started getting on top we should have sat back and looked to do them on the break but they didn't seem to have the legs for that anyway, nevermind the personnel, and i respect southgate for sticking to his guns myself

why he left loftus cheek on the bench is anyone's guess, of all the choices he made and options he ignored that seems the one that irks me the most from last night

Guest The Little Waster

Lets be honest , mediocre team gets beaten by decent footballing side ...everything else is pure hype

So only the Scousers can win big competitions with a mediocre team  :lol: England ( population >65million)  ranked 12th  beat 55th, 25th and 24th ranked teams  and lose to the 20th ( population 4 million). Southgate has generated a feel good factor but the blame for the crap England team lies with Sky and the Premier league ( 30.8%  English players)..... and not picking Shelvey.

Guest firetotheworks

Him and that rat at right back were absolutely rank. I fucking hate Lovren, he's a slapstick defender.