England

Yorkie

Southgate will no longer be remember for that penalty. He will be remembered for, at least, being the man who took us to a final. What a great man.

You have done us proud us boys. Now play your hearts out and let's see where the coin lands.

1 hour ago, UncleBingo said:

My dream would be for England to win it, have an audience with the Queen but then publicly refuse an invite to Downing Street on principle. 

We can but dream.

I mean, they could take a knee for the anthem and eliminate the need to refuse, by ensuring they're not invited.

So 18 months to the World Cup, unlikely to see many of the team drop out due to age and similarly unlikely to have any new young players get enough game time to make a compelling case to break into the team. 

So how do we build on the momentum from the World Cup and these Euros? Big risk that if nothing changes we go backwards and waste this generation of players imo - bit like losing the play off final. 

But who takes us forward? Yeah it's going to be Southgate but for his and the teams immediate future I'd make a change. Not many stand out candidates though, Howe maybe? Bruce? Pardew? Or do we need to look abroad again? 

Southgate absolutely deserves the chance to take us into the World Cup. It shouldn't even be a debate. Thankfully, from the FA's point of view, it won't be. The heart of the team will still be there going into the tournament so we should have a shot at it again. Even the manager might learn some lessons; he's definitely humble and astute enough. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Southgate absolutely deserves the chance to take us into the World Cup. It shouldn't even be a debate. Thankfully, from the FA's point of view, it won't be. The heart of the team will still be there going into the tournament so we should have a shot at it again. Even the manager might learn some lessons; he's definitely humble and astute enough. 

didnt learn owt from the croatia semi in the world cup, or the the flukey win against denmark.

Posted this in the wrong thread. There’s absolutely no chance of Southgate not being in charge outside of some personal scandal which seems very unlikely.

Play Sterling, Foden and Sancho behind Kane in the WC with Bellingham and Rice. Still have tons of talent on the bench like Grealish and Saka to bring on. Concentrate on your strengths and don’t be scared of every opponent and you should be favourites.

Disagree that he didn't learn anything from Croatia. What fucked us there was that we ran out of energy after 60 minutes. We were done. We managed this tournament so well that in every game I was convinced as the game went on we'd win on fitness alone. There is progression - might not be perfect, but to say he's not learning is just bullshit imo.

27 minutes ago, huss9 said:

didnt learn owt from the croatia semi in the world cup, or the the flukey win against denmark.

I'm only joining this discussion tonight because what I saw from Mancini was everything England could strive for in a manager. Southgate has many of those attributes - largely relating to the way he carries himself off the pitch, but he's in a different league compared to someone like Mancini/Enrique/Martinez when it comes to tactics and game management.

I tell you what, Martinez would absolutely get the best out the talent of the squad. 

Martinez can’t even get the best out of the best group of players in the world.

Belgium are just England’s ‘Golden Generation’ all over again.  They’ll win fuck all.

The thing if Southgate left, who’d we get? Top managers want to manage in club football. If someone like Wenger fancied it (though he’s been out of the game a few years now) it’d be interesting but Southgate is probably as good as we’d get.