England

Yorkie

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Getting annoying how Southgate keeps the same system and never makes a sub, no matter the situation. 

The same pedestrian dullard football every game.

If you take away the games against those who are pretty much National League opposition and below, we really only ever win a game by the odd goal. Or we stumble to a very average draw.

For the attacking talent this generation has, it’s fucking dreadful.

Am I the only one who though we played pretty well? :lol:

One mistake from Walker and a shite clearance from Mount away from another very solid win and performance.

Edited by Smal

Just now, Smal said:

Am I the only one who though we played pretty well?

One mistake and a shite clearance from Mount away from another very solid win and performance.

There was some nice build up, just lacking a bit with the cutting edge. And didn’t do enough to get the second goal. Not awful. 

It was a decent enough performance in a game where they, yet again, got kicked off the park without ample protection from the referee, against a backdrop of a very large and enthusiastic home crowd, which they managed to quieten for large periods. It wasn't a bad performance by any stretch but I would definitely concede, on this occasion, that Southgate has to bear some responsibility for us not closing-out the win. He was going to make a change before the goal and should have proceeded with it regardless, to not have made one before the end - even just to waste time - was a bad call. 

28 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’m not denying he’s great, as he is, and underrated in many ways, but you have to factor in he’s been in a one team dominant league. Again he’d have bossed it in the PL no doubt, but Kane would do stupid numbers in that Bayern side even more so IMO and as for England we are so good even when not so good if that makes sense, but to concede like that is poor. Still we are coasting this qualification. We need to fix that midfield though, and Kane needs better support or someone to play up with. 

Lewa got 41 in 29 games last season to be fair. Even missing 5 games he managed to best Muller's record that has stood for over 40 years. It's a push to say Kane would somehow score even more I reckon. 

Lewa is 5 years older but looks much sharper and in better shape. Kane is quality too of course, but he's prone to looking very sluggish and off the pace at times despite what should really be his prime. Think he's been underwhelming in all the finals he's played and majority of the Euro's to be honest.

35 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Gammon faced Southgate haters out in force again like we’re Brazil ‘70 and he’s fucking Howard Wilkinson…people are idiots man

Maybe they just have a different opinion? Or should they all be thrown into the idiotic gammon category because they don’t have your insight?

It’s highly possible to appreciate some fine things Southgate has done as England manager, respect him for the top bloke he is and also criticise him for his errors. In my view it’s hard to argue with his record but he also got a lot wrong at the Euros given our attacking talent and home advantage, in particular the final. 

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

I don't understand why Pickford is our number 1.  It's not even about him being short, you need a calm head in nets and he is crackers.  It also helps on penalty shootouts if you don't have 12 inch arms.

Awful comment- Pickford is miles above the other keepers and been great on pens

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The same pedestrian dullard football every game.

If you take away the games against those who are pretty much National League opposition and below, we really only ever win a game by the odd goal. Or we stumble to a very average draw.

For the attacking talent this generation has, it’s fucking dreadful.

dont know if he lacks the balls, or the tactical nous to be proactive and make a positive change whilst in the lead. he certainly doesnt lack the players.

just a very cautious manager who is more concerned with not getting it wrong, making a mistake and losing rather than trying to finish the opposition off.

world cup semi and euros final.

Edited by huss9

2 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

I don't understand why Pickford is our number 1.  It's not even about him being short, you need a calm head in nets and he is crackers.  It also helps on penalty shootouts if you don't have 12 inch arms.

Didn't France win the World Cup with Barthez in goal?

He saved two penalties v Italy.

6 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Lewa got 41 in 29 games last season to be fair. Even missing 5 games he managed to best Muller's record that has stood for over 40 years. It's a push to say Kane would somehow score even more I reckon. 

Lewa is 5 years older but looks much sharper and in better shape. Kane is quality too of course, but he's prone to looking very sluggish and off the pace at times despite what should really be his prime. Think he's been underwhelming in all the finals he's played and majority of the Euro's to be honest.

Fair points, I think Kane could do well to follow Ronaldo’s approach to physical training etc. if he wants to prolong his stay at the top if you like because he’s world class, I’m not saying he’s out of shape, but look at how Ronaldo trains and what that has done to his game and his longevity. Lewandowski is similar to Ronaldo in that respects with his personal training and attitude to his own athleticism. 

I get where Southgate is coming from defensively, we are extremely hard to beat and we do have the attacking players to kill teams basically, but if he can just find that fine margin of balance between defence and attack and we would have won a WC or a EC by now under him, can he find that between now and the upcoming WC? Either way it’s fine margins for every top team. We are easily a top, elite team and no-one will want to face us and I’d fancy our chances against anyone. We’ve come such a long way under Gareth and I’m confident we will continue to grow and grow. The talent pool is immense. Too many riches tbh maybe.

Edited by HTT II

Certainly no tactical expert but I thought his role was pretty clear (and ineffectual!) last night. When out of possession, press from the front, when in possession, do absolutely nothing but get within ten yards of Grealish to bring him into the centre of the pitch with quick short passes and one-twos. Needless to say, Poland sussed it very early and intricately passing between four defenders never looked like presenting a clear chance. We were fortunate to get on the scoresheet at all last night tbh, doing so only because of Kane's opportunism and a mistake from the keeper. 

Kane wants to drop deep as well, which is a problem if you're an attacking midfielder who wants to operate in that position.

TBH I think the time is coming soon when Kane will have to decide if he wants to be a #10, if so we can play Greenwood or someone like that ahead of him. 

18 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Kane wants to drop deep as well, which is a problem if you're an attacking midfielder who wants to operate in that position.

TBH I think the time is coming soon when Kane will have to decide if he wants to be a #10, if so we can play Greenwood or someone like that ahead of him. 

It's a fair shout. Kane does the false 9 thing well because his close control, strength and passing are all really good (though the latter of those attributes was slightly off last night). But him being deep means it's at the expense of a striker being in the box and ready to receive a quick, direct pass.

I don't know if the role of the false 9 historically is for him to start passages of play that he then gets on the end of, but that's what it felt like last night. It contributed to our build up play generally being very slow. Kane comes deep, he sprays it wide, tip tap tip tap, Grealish to Mount, Mount to Shaw, Shaw back to Mount, back to Grealish... meanwhile Kane's got all the time in the world to just jog back into a central forward position (which is occupied by defenders who have time to get organised) - as we painstakingly try and wriggle the ball from a wide position into the box to deliver short/low crosses close to goal. If Kane comes deep but there's another CF up there still occupying defenders... things might move quicker. It's no wonder the goal itself came from long range and in the middle of the pitch, cos that was the only place Kane actually got near the ball; certainly not in the box itself. 

The comms at one point said that Henderson was coming on - before the goal - and I was pleased about that cos I thought it might at least mean Kane could stay forward a bit more and let Henderson do those 'first passes' from the centre circle. It just generally indicated there'd be a more direct change in tack to this fruitless pass-after-pass-after-pass football in the wide areas. Then we got the goal and abandoned the idea. 

When I think of the false 9 I imagine it with wide forwards like Neymar to make runs in behind when the striker drops deep. Could possibly do that with people like Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford. But then you’ve got about 10 class attacking midfielders to drop. 

Probs not the only way to play it. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

England's biggest problem apart from Southgate, is playing with both Rice and Philip instead of just one of them, the lack of a creative midfielder (Bellingham), having Walker as the starting right back and having both Mount and Sterling being completely ineffectual in most matches.

Yeah the defensive midfielders is a bit naff as they dont offer much going forward, and when they do, they get in the way of the forwards, as said above.

Maybe the answer is the Pirlo type of defensive playmaker, someone who only sits deep and looks to 'assist the assist'. I dont think weve got anyone who can do that role as it requires a huge set of skills.

If Kane is to drop deep as a false 9, I’d play DCL up there through the middle right up top and have Grealish and Sterling either side with Rice and Foden in midfield anchoring in front of the defence/playmaking just behind Kane. Alternate Sancho and Rashford with Grealish and Sterling and Greenwood with DCL, I think DCL is a much better all-round centre-forward though and would be a better fit with Kane behind and Grealish and Sterling in the side.