England

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

I remember Ledley King being exquisite in that match against Argentina actually, absolutely amazing.

We're playing some good stuff going forward, although Rooney's hold up play isn't great.

Defence still needs improving, but we're a bit short of talent at CB.

That's the big problem. People like Keown and Southgate used to be back up players, but I'd kill to have players of their quality nowadays.

That was a fantastic match like (the England Argentina one)

Amazing header from the little shit for the winning goal.

Yep. Followed by the worst goal celebration I've ever seen not involving a mask.

Just seen Wilshere's second goal, absolutely brilliant stuff and nice to see him playing well for England, I kinda think Wilshere needs a lot of super technical players next to him for him to succeed as he always wants those quick 1-2s, with England they often go wrong

Well if he keeps that up I'll re-assess my judgement of Wilshere being a viable attacking midfield player for England. He just needs to do this consistently for England and Arsenal.

Bit difficult when he gets injured every couple of games tbf, he's clearly very talented but when he can't stay on the pitch it's all a bit pointless.

He definitely needs to be more positive and attacking. Two goals all season for Arsenal is poor from someone as good as him. Having said that, a lot may be due to the injuries.

I think the goals thing is more due to the position on the pitch tbh, outside of Ramsey's goal glut usually most of Arsenal goals don't come from their midfield. He can definitely be more positive though i do agree.

I think we in England are a bit too preoccupied with goalscoring midfielders. If you're not a holding midfielder you should be scoring 10-15 a season. Every time Real play in the CL the commentators always bang on about Kroos & Modric not scoring enough goals.

That post would have far more weight if they hadn't just had a poor season with those two in the midfield. Modric, to be fair, deserves little of the blame and I think most commentators know how great he is despite not fitting either conventional midfield role.

Wouldn't particularly say they are the reasons they didn't win anything though, maybe that they didn't have viable alternatives to rest them so they are fresh and available for the final part of the season.

I agree with TCDs overall point, but you have to be great at other things to offset that. Right now England doesn't have much of anything in terms of midfielders.

That post would have far more weight if they hadn't just had a poor season with those two in the midfield. Modric, to be fair, deserves little of the blame and I think most commentators know how great he is despite not fitting either conventional midfield role.

Eh? They only consistently played together in the first half of the season when they where brilliant. Modric got injured and Real pretty much went to crap. Toni Kroos was the deepest lying midfielder for Real for most of the season. He was excellent until he began to tire.

Neither of their individual performances are the reason why Real had a poor season.

England midfield struggles to score imo because our defense is traditionally quite slow and doesn't play out with much confidence, meaning they tend to drop deep, making it hard for the midfield to push high up and rather we succeed best on counter from midfielders passing onto the wingers and strikers. Wilshere should score more goals but he's in and out of Arsenal's team both from injury and from not necessarily being their first choice midfielder anyway. Regardless of goals he's very positive in midfield when he's playing well and so can make a huge difference to an England whose midfield is too often conservative.

I didn't say they were if you read the post again, in fact I basically absolved Modric of blame, but when James got injured the team became overly reliant on the likes of Bale and Ronaldo to come up with the goods in the final third. They really could've done with a CM in there with more to offer going forward.

Wouldn't particularly say they are the reasons they didn't win anything though, maybe that they didn't have viable alternatives to rest them so they are fresh and available for the final part of the season.

I agree with TCDs overall point, but you have to be great at other things to offset that. Right now England doesn't have much of anything in terms of midfielders.

Specifically Wilshere - he reminds me a bit of Modric. Both have the first touch, quick feet, agility of a #10 but are best right in the heat of central midfield. Despite not being big lads can really hold their own in the middle. His focus should be on dominating top level PL games and dictating them. With his injuries, I wouldn't want him to try and be a B2B midfield goalscorer, always trying to get into the box. Someone like Ramsey or Henderson looks more comfortable doing that type of B2B running.

Henderson could go on to regularly score 10 goals a season, he'll never be able to outplay top level CM's regularly.