Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Different player to what we had here. Emotions aside it's hard to blame anyone with his talent wanting out. Downing tools was a frustration but you've got to think he'll have matured since then. And to be honest, more importantly, he'd be a massive upgrade in a problem area - this is no time to be precious, get him in, stay up and sort the position out permanently in the summer.

Seems a lot of people want to judge him on his last few months/half a season with us or whatever it was. Where he was in a different position to what he plays now and his first season in a new league and country. 

Nobody ever mentions the fact he scored 11 goals from attacking midfield (plus 5 assists, I checked that bit) in a shit team and he was our top scorer. Seems like so much anger has been aimed at him for our relegation. That everyone is just happy to ignore that he was a massive reason we weren’t doing a Derby County/sunderland by the time 2016 started?!

I don’t think we’ll go in for him and even if we do. I think he would choose Arsenal. But I’d have him back in a heartbeat after seeing what he has developed into. 

Not petty enough to hold a 5.5 year grudge :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

I’d love him to come back and right a few wrongs. I do think the criticism he got was disproportionate because when he did perform well he was a game changer. There were far worse shirkers among the team that got relegated.

Moussa took most of the flack that season, but this guy was the biggest piss taker. he completely threw the towel in.

that being said, it’s water under the bridge, for me. I’d like to think he’d want to come back and feel like he has something to prove and unfinished business here.

his technique alone has him up there as one of the best players I’ve seen play for us. he’ll have obviously matured and learned an incredible amount playing so much for Liverpool and the national team. I thought he had a really good Euros too. get him in!

He didn't appear to have the heart for the last relegation battle we were in. No doubting his talent mind, but his attitude last time was questionable.

Edited by Klaus

I know he signed for us to be a stepping stone, I’ve no issue with that as that’s what we were at that point. But we literally went down by a fine margin, he went missing in that run in and by the time Rafa got here he already had his eye on a move away.

I don’t care if he’s still a good footballer, there’s loads of them out there that don’t have that history with us.

This transfer window is showing that we can attract players who are willing to give up on Champions League football to be part of this new project. We have many options.

It’s been all over at this point, wants to come back to England on loan at the least and at the moment it’s only us and Arsenal interested. Would be surprised if he wasn’t on ridiculous wages, mind.

Gini would be our best central midfielder by a distance. He’s a completely different player to the one we sold to Liverpool.

Klopp changed him into everything he needed from a midfielder in his system. Excellent technique, full of energy, rarely give the ball away and work hard to win it back.

Klopp was desperate to keep him but the reason Liverpool let him go was FSG didn’t want a bunch of players in their early 30’s on big contracts. 

If we can get him on loan it would be a massive signing. 

3 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Os he really comfortably better than a revitalised Joelinton?

They are different types of players though. Alot of things Big Jo does (holds up the ball/aerial duels/defending set peices) Gini isn't so good at but the same goes the other way round. Wijnaldum is much better on the ball and uses it more effectively to keep possession. And keeping possession is something we desperately need to improve on.

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

It’s been all over at this point, wants to come back to England on loan at the least and at the moment it’s only us and Arsenal interested. Would be surprised if he wasn’t on ridiculous wages, mind.

Aye he'll definitely be on insane wages so that rules it out if what Hope was saying yesterday is true regarding not wanting to destroy the current wage structure at the moment

Just now, triggs said:

Aye he'll definitely be on insane wages so that rules it out if what Hope was saying yesterday is true regarding not wanting to destroy the current wage structure at the moment

Coutinho is on massive wages and yet Villa are only paying less than 50%. I’m sure if we were serious, we could come to a similar arrangement with PSG to pay a proportion (and that’s even if Hopes tweet is factually reliable). 

Guest HTT II

A fit and motivated Wijnaldum is a world-class player, my worry is if he’s been burnt out under Klopp. Like Geremi was!

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Coutinho is on massive wages and yet Villa are only paying less than 50%. I’m sure if we were serious, we could come to a similar arrangement with PSG to pay a proportion (and that’s even if Hopes tweet is factually reliable). 

I'm not sure PSG are as keen on getting rid as Barca were, definitely don't need the cash as much anyway. Even 50% of his wages would be €150-200k I'd say because he moved on a free

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

I'm not sure PSG are as keen on getting rid as Barca were, definitely don't need the cash as much anyway. Even 50% of his wages would be €150-200k I'd say because he moved on a free

He’s on 165k pw according to this:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/06/wijnaldum-transfer-wages-psg-liverpool/amp/

it might be that getting rid of a squad player and opening up a space is more important than getting him off the wage book.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

A fit and motivated Wijnaldum is a world-class player, my worry is if he’s been burnt out under Klopp. Like Geremi was!

Fair comment. Anyone see him play for PSG?  If so how's he done?

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

He’s on 165k pw according to this:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/06/wijnaldum-transfer-wages-psg-liverpool/amp/

it might be that getting rid of a squad player and opening up a space is more important than getting him off the wage book.

That's after tax. Tax on high earners is crazy high in France. Based on the £8.6m he's supposedly on and using a quick tax calculator I've done that's £20m a year or thereabouts in France though I'm not sure how the tax would work if he's on loan.

Way too high regardless if what we've heard from Hope is true