Jamaal Lascelles: set to miss 6–9 months with ACL injury (Official)

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

The win away at WBA in the green & blue away kit when Perez scored a flick and a Colo header, Dummett was one of the two CBs that day. I think he's generally been pretty useful at centre back but he's not going to drop the captain to play Dummett there.

Lascelles did fine while he was on, there seemed to be a really weird hate campaign going on against him and Willock in particular in the first half for some reason. Try watching the game back and see if it could be maybe reassessed. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Lascelles did fine while he was on, there seemed to be a really weird hate campaign going on against him and Willock in particular in the first half for some reason. Try watching the game back and see if it could be maybe reassessed. 

The voice of reason.  Well said.

Just now, TRon said:

Agreed, he did well today before he went off. both our fullbacks were getting beat like a drum in the first half, Schar and Lascalles dealt with everything. Second half trippier sorted himself out, and Manquillio was excellent. Our CBs had much less to do.

58 minutes ago, TRon said:

It’s not a hate campaign, it started really well for the kid when he arrived first and every one of us were happy to have him as a captain.

But the defending Mike Ashley and then just his overall performances over the last few seasons. It’s beyond repair as far as am concerned. As a player he peaked at 22 and as a captain has been like a mute the last 2 years.

Makes far too many mistakes in every match he plays now, lots of which have led to goals. Why should we treat him any differently to Ciaran Clark? (Who also did fine while he was on)

• 2 weeks later...

He’s one of many who physically are not in the best place. Whatever training they were doing in pre season, it built the bricks for many players walking the hamstring tightrope all season.

But with Lascelles who’s prone to a mistake, having serious physical limitations are highlighting this.

He’s also lost his voice a bit.. when he first broke into the team he was a natural leader. Not for a long time though. He seems to look to others for guidance now.

I mean, I don’t dislike him. He’s always been a model pro and aside from the Mike Ashley comments he’s always represented the club well. But what’s happening on the pitch is making it hard to take all this into account.

I mean, pretty sure those 2 stats aren't the only relevant ones for judging the quality and/or performances of centre backs.

Not to say they aren't relevant, just they are quite selective. 

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think this passes the eye test. Schar is a better and more frequent progressive passer of the ball than Lascelles.

Unsure on what counts as a progressive pass tbh but for a CB to be winning less than half of his aerial duels is absolutely shit.

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Unsure on what counts as a progressive pass tbh but for a CB to be winning less than half of his aerial duels is absolutely shit.

Why I'd always play him in a three,  get him closing down on that right hand side, allowing Trippier time to get back and support, with Lascelles and Burn able to deal with the aerial duel.

Those statistics suggest that Clark and Lascelles are both better than Schar purely down to the fact they win for Aerial Duels and make the same amount of progressive passes, yet how many mistakes do they both make per game. Far more than Schar is for certain and how many of those 'progressive passes' are just hopeful punts upfield?

I'm not a fan of any of our current CBs tbh and it's been an issue for the last 3 seasons. We'll see how Burn does and I suspect he will be a huge improvement on all of them.

Huge shame Fede has been out so much this season as he is far better than the other 3 but still isn't particularly good enough and should've been replaced along with the rest a couple seasons ago.

I like looking at the new analytics but I also believe in the eye test.  In a two man pairing our CBs fail.  I think we could all agree each will function better in a 3 man.  Can't say for sure about Burn.  He looks real good in some of the metrics but I haven't seen him enough.