Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

Not great comments, but if a manager has any one primary job at a football club, then it's to instil a mentality in the team. So this is at Bruce's door for me.

Exactly this. If Bruce had complained we'd sat back too much you can bet your life that Lascelles would have echoed that if pushed for an opinion.

Actually I would have less of a problem if Bruce had always preached the mantra of defensive football, but he's laid the blame for it at Rafa's door, then every time we let a few in, turns out we were too attacking. He has absolutely no principles.

Not great comments, but if a manager has any one primary job at a football club, then it's to instil a mentality in the team. So this is at Bruce's door for me.

Exactly this. If Bruce had complained we'd sat back too much you can bet your life that Lascelles would have echoed that if pushed for an opinion.

Actually I would have less of a problem if Bruce had always preached the mantra of defensive football, but he's laid the blame for it at Rafa's door, then every time we let a few in, turns out we were too attacking. He has absolutely no principles.

My issue is that he is implying we should be defending purely 'because its Man Utd'. Disregard the fact Bruce has them playing the same way every game anyway.

It indicates a fear of big names and/or reputations....ok for a kid or someone called up from the reserves, but the captain should be fronting up on this and calling a bad performance a bad performance.

Man Utd spanked us a fair few times in the early 2000's but you'd never have heard Shearer (as a player) coming out after one of them saying we should have defended deeper because it was Man Utd.

Edit...it's comments like that which have probably seen him ignored by England. As much as Southgate has his faults if he sees an inherent fear in a player then he's right not to call him.

My issue is that he is implying we should be defending purely 'because its Man Utd'. Disregard the fact Bruce has them playing the same way every game anyway.

It indicates a fear of big names and/or reputations....ok for a kid or someone called up from the reserves, but the captain should be fronting up on this and calling a bad performance a bad performance.

Man Utd spanked us a fair few times in the early 2000's but you'd never have heard Shearer (as a player) coming out after one of them saying we should have defended deeper because it was Man Utd.

Edit...it's comments like that which have probably seen him ignored by England. As much as Southgate has his faults if he sees an inherent fear in a player then he's right not to call him.

I think he's just parroting Bruce tbh, Steve is definitely a one who thinks it's an honour to be on the same pitch as his beloved Man U.

Pretty sure if we get a takeover and Bruce is replaced by Pochettino, suddenly all these players will be singing the praises of the high press.

Just rephrasing his boss to try and deflect from the sheer ineptitude of the fucking wanker in the dugout. If he tells a few more to say it in their interviews it'll soon become accepted as fact by an awful lot of people. The thick cunts who swallow it are welcome to this utter prick of a manager and his captain only too willing to push this complete bullshit out. Fuck the pair of them. 

Wish I shared your optimism (and recent joie de vivre) but i think I'd be worried this season if I was bothered at all like.

If the auto response to getting spanked is to defend (Ha!) deeper we're in a downward spiral that this fucking nugget has no idea to reverse.

Meh. :lol:

I think were being a bit hard on lascelles to be honest.

Hes team captain. EVERY team captain toes the party line.

Wouldnt surprise me if he was given his answers in a script prepared by bruce/charnley/barnes/ashley.

Maybe the point of it was deflect some of the criticism onto him instead of bruce  :dontknow:

I just find it ironic that one of the reasons he found himself in such a prominent position in the team was because he called out bullshit but now needs to toe the party line whilst in that prominent position.

I imagine that's what makes it grate on people more than when the likes of Shelvey trots out his nonsense, which everyone has pretty much come to expect.

I just find it ironic that one of the reasons he found himself in such a prominent position in the team was because he called out bullshit but now needs to toe the party line whilst in that prominent position.

I imagine that's what makes it grate on people more than when the likes of Shelvey trots out his nonsense, which everyone has pretty much come to expect.

Maybe he's smarter than the average footballer. Maybe he sussed that certain behaviour would be appreciated by Rafa.

Maybe he's smarter than the average footballer. Maybe he sussed that certain behaviour would be appreciated by Rafa.

No argument. He's not stupid and it's obviously based on a certain amount of self-preserveration. Doesn't make the change in tune any any less irksome for me personally, though.

Even ignoring whether it's just Lascelles being savvy, I just find it yet another indictment on the club's management structure. Under Rafa the players, whatever their role or age, were free to speak their mind, show and build on their leadership. Under Bruce they're just an extension of him; a mouthpiece for the bare minimum mediocrity the club embodies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

there is no ruthlessness (is that a word) in our team.  Each time a team breaks on us, instead of just taking out the man say 35 yards from goal, we just jockey and backtrack all the way into our box and they then invariably score.  Just obstruct, tackle at 35 yards out, take the yellow and regroup.