Jamaal Lascelles: set to miss 6–9 months with ACL injury (Official)

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

Guest reefatoon

Just watched the first goal back there and it wasn’t just Lascelles at fault, the whole thing was a mess. Don’t understand why Dubravka gave the ball to Lascelles, and the same when Lascelles played it to Shelvey. Was all so avoidable.

8 hours ago, OverThere said:

Can defend a long ball kind of team but anyone that plays it on the deck he looks complete garbage. Fortunately we are playing Liverpool and Man City next 😳

I think that's the case for most of the defenders on our books unfortunately. Ironically Fernandez might be the best suited to cope with clever mobile strikers.

15 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Deleted his Twitter account.

How the fuck did he manage to hit delete correctly? 

Edited by HTT II

At the very least he needs taken out of the firing line. 

Regardless of ability, he looks shot at the moment. I don't think he's ever been this bad but his confidence has gone like.

Ridiculous if he keeps starting. Even if Howe rates him, he needs some time away from the first 11.

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Presume this is as a result of getting loads of shit from some of our pond life support.

He needs sitting down and the armband taken off him, desperately. Not good enough and not showing any obvious leadership qualities on a matchday.

I'd make Wilson captain for now, but we should look to get someone in January who is skipper material, we could do with a nasty snide cunt in midfield who can tackle and spoil a bit and that might be the ticket.

It's the same with so much of our squad, get into a rut of having stinkers, giving away goals/penalties/red cards. Then they'll have the odd half decent game and all is forgiven until they revert to type soon after.

Fede has intelligence and physicality, but he doesn't have the pace for this league. Ok if we're playing deep, not for how manager likes to set up teams to play.

Schar can pass and defend ok but is vulnerable to physicality and aerial prowess.

Lascelles can head the ball but will still get muscled out of it on a regular basis. Can't pass, makes stupid decisions and just doesn't seem to have any understanding of how to read a game. No leadership.

Clark used to be dependable but bang out of form, liability. Not up to it at this level.

Lewis, again, one of the ones who reverts to type. Bad positional play, not strong enough on the ball or without it.

Manquillo will often give chances away with poor positional play. Even the things he does ok just aren't good enough for this league.

Dummett constantly injured but probably our most reliable defender when he is fit. But he rarely is so..

Murphy better than Manquillo at RB but has flaws and vulnerable in the air.

Ritchie all huff and puff and probably overall better than Lewis at LB but it's not where he should be.

Oh and Krafth, just not really at that level. Kind of like Clark in that sense. I can see why he gets picked though because he's got more intelligence than some of the others, just not the physical attributes to make a difference.

And that's our whole backline, there's question marks over every single one of them.

We have decent players going forward but how on earth can they play with any confidence when it's that bad at the back. That's not even to mention the lack of protection the midfield give them.

And that is what Rafa had to do, play 5 across the back and two midfielders to help out, only then did they look in any way comfortable at defending. As soon as we try to make things happen and push players forward, this creamy goo of a mess is exposed for what it is.

Edited by Dr Jinx

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Shite TBH. Wasn't impressed hearing how people were going on about Clark the other week and nor am I about this. Think there's a vile culture online and actually, these lads have been here through all the mind-numbing shit we've endured as fans. I thibk nearly every fan I know says they cannot fault hard effort, yet loads get abusive when someone isn't good enough. Farcical. 

Not had a lot of time for him since he became just another club lacky and the kind of captain he railed against in the relegation season and that remains the case.

That being said, I'm pleased for his mental wellbeing he's fucked the Twitter cesspit off sharpish after yesterday. Doesn't deserve whatever I imagine is being spewed on there.

I know all fanbases have their fair share, especially on Twitter, but we really do seem to have a shocking set of fans infesting that platform.

42 minutes ago, Heron said:

Shite TBH. Wasn't impressed hearing how people were going on about Clark the other week and nor am I about this. Think there's a vile culture online and actually, these lads have been here through all the mind-numbing shit we've endured as fans. I thibk nearly every fan I know says they cannot fault hard effort, yet loads get abusive when someone isn't good enough. Farcical. 

totally get your point and online abuse is just horrid but I am not sure how much effort I am seeing the players that were clearly limited but were better than this in previous seasons its not like he is 36 and at the end of his career. Doesnt do anything to deserve the armband we can see publically and while he may have been here and endured the Ashley period like us fans we arent getting paid 20/30/40k a week to "compensate us". The players that have managed to get themselves in a rut due to what has gone on should be feeling renewed and refreshed about the prospect of new ownership/ management/ investment but we are still seeing a side lacking in confidence and prone to too many errors. 

I guess thats why we are where we are with relegation form not just in results but in too many sub par performances. 

He has to be replaced along with most of the defenders at the club. 

Edited by nufcjmc

I actually have a bit of sympathy for him. He was always a limited player that previously got by on his leadership and presence.

He's absolutely fine when the game is in front of him and players don't get a run at him (see Burnley), but he's too slow to deal with any kind of pace or trickery. He's not the first and he won't be the last in the Premier League.

The thing is though, if you're going to start him, you can't have players like Saka being left to roam between the lines, but that's exactly what the midfield and full backs have been doing. He's simply not competent enough to cope with the amount of exposure the defence is getting.

Guest neesy111
3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Jesus. The thing is, Howe is a young progressive coach, no way he doesn’t see this sort of data. I’m very suprised he’s picking him still 

Don't you rate Connor Coady?  He doesn't look much better according to that ;)

Edited by neesy111

Have to say, despite his antics I thought Saiss was excellent against Man City at the weekend. Never really noticed him before. 

Never heard of Guehi, let alone him costing Palace £18m, which says it all about my general interest at the start of this season. 

I'm all for stats for insight and backing things up etc, but you never see stats for things like influence, leadership, personality on the pitch etc do you? The unquantifiable stuff that's much more important than we probably think. That's more a general comment than one on Lascelles btw. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Have to say, despite his antics I thought Saiss was excellent against Man City at the weekend. Never really noticed him before. 

Never heard of Guehi, let alone him costing Palace £18m, which says it all about my general interest at the start of this season. 

The fact that Palace spent 18m on a player no-one has heard of shows how much we've been battered by MA over the years, or that as a fanbase we are stuck in the early to mid 2000's over how much counts as a lot of money.

6m in 2007 might get a semi-competent defender, 18m at that time gets you one of the better non-elite defenders. 

I do wonder if there's still a lingering thought/feeling among us that 15 million (Shearer) is what it takes to buy the best, and at the same time why players like Almiron, and Joelinton are such disappointments

36 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

:lol: I do yeah, think he class. He may be on the lower end of that scale but lascelles is dead last. 

He’s last for being “progressive” I’m not quite sure how that’s defined. 

he’s above Coady in duels.