Jamaal Lascelles: set to miss 6–9 months with ACL injury (Official)

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

He is capable of really solid play both defensively and a is threat on set pieces.  Man, he does some dopey things sometimes.

I wonder if those kinds of plays are the hidden cost of having had Bruce as our coach.  Less attention to detail.  Less accountability. Less concentration.  So the hope would be that with Howe, his staff and players like Trippier coming on board the players would start holding each other to a higher standard.

Think he lacks a bit of pace these days, not sure if he ever had much, and obviously his passing is very basic, but he is a solid enough defender. He's the one you would have seen being replaced long term by Carlos.

I think he has a lot of the attributes to make a good championship defender 

in the premier league he hasn’t got the footballing brain or ability to defend 

gives away to many stupid passes / free kicks and positionally woeful at times 

need to upgrade 

schar is similar but has much more footballing ability , however he tries to be too laid back and very error prone 

he can pick out a long range pass and has a great touch for a defender , probably a luxury defender if he had world beaters around him 

again we need to upgrade 

Edited by JonBez comesock

3 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

He is capable of really solid play both defensively and a is threat on set pieces.  Man, he does some dopey things sometimes.

I wonder if those kinds of plays are the hidden cost of having had Bruce as our coach.  Less attention to detail.  Less accountability. Less concentration.  So the hope would be that with Howe, his staff and players like Trippier coming on board the players would start holding each other to a higher standard.

I think there is a lot in this, just a simple lack of sharpness and focus that a professional athlete needs, and only comes through coaching to the highest standards.

His last two games have been solid. Last night immense. The way he bounced back from the own goal reminded me of the Jamaal that Rafa appreciated so much.

1 minute ago, JonBez comesock said:

gives away to many stupid passes

This is relative to the receivers ability to control the ball. There was a moment early on last night that he mis-hit a pass to Trippier, who controlled it all the same. After releasing it you saw Trippier gesture to Lascelles as if it was nothing. Reflects a similar attitude, throughout, to Howe telling Fraser not to worry about the goals. 

52 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Reminds me of Bramble to some extent. Has the tools, and on his day is a wall. On other days, he is a car crash.

On form, he can be a rock in our defense

Bramble was a far superior footballer.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

'ave it

He arced his run perfectly there, that’s defending 101 that and if you do that, you don’t need to be super quick to cut out the danger/win the tackle. It’s about timing and comes from the training ground and coaching drills, he did that a lot under Rafa!

2 hours ago, arnonel said:

Reminds me of Bramble to some extent. Has the tools, and on his day is a wall. On other days, he is a car crash.

On form, he can be a rock in our defense

I was thinking this too. He never used to be like that. Even yesterday, when he played really well he nearly made a massive error that could have been game changing. He let the ball bounce then gave away the freekick right after we’d gone 2-1 up. 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, duo said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that our defense has looked far more solid since he's been on the bench. Fair play to Eddie for keeping him there 👏 

So the challenge to him is to improve like the rest of them have in the main , let's not write any of them off just yet ? Willock was wank , Shelvey a lazy cunt and we mocked the fuck out of Jow 

Edited by GWN

Didn't see the game yesterday but I did think a huge part of the reason we looked so good at West Ham was that Burn and Schar are so comfortable on the ball. Lots of times in the first half it was just those two knocking it back and forth and they were always a willing outlet for the midfielders to play back to and restart the build up.

It really allowed us to take the sting out of the game, quiet the crowd and stop West Ham from ever getting going.

I'm not sure you can ever play like that with Lascelles in the team tbh, he's just so very limited with the ball at his feet.

17 minutes ago, GWN said:

So the challenge to him is to improve like the rest of them have in the main , let's not write any of them off just yet ? Willock was wank , Shelvey a lazy cunt and we mocked the fuck out of Jow 

Some people can't help themselves though. Got to have a pop at some players no matter what. 

He has his drawbacks and he is being challenged which is a good thing - agreed he has faults but the sight of him getting on the end of one of our corners with his head is a sight to behold - brute force combined with controlled aggression - I find it quite stirring (as you can probably tell)

Feel bad for the lad because he basically toiled through the shite that was the Ashley era and by the time new owners came in he was in bad form and struggling. Truth is right now I can't justify him over Burn or Schar. Both are better on the ball and balance each other out.

Sell him in the summer. Will be disappointed if he’s still here next year.  We spent £8m on him and Darlow. He plays like a £10m defender from the Championship. That’s where he should be. 

• 2 weeks later...