Ivan Toney (now playing for Brentford)

joeyt

33 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Was it Merson who got a ban for involvement in spot fixing involving a throw in within 10 seconds?

Think it was Le Tissier who subsequently admitted to attempting something like that. Merson just bet on everything.

51 minutes ago, 54 said:

He did start during Mike Ashley's Newcastle to be fair, probably needed the extra cash when he first started and got a buzz from it. :lol: 

:lol: It hadn't clicked with me that he was still with us when he started. Probably Big Mike's betting mule.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Wonder how it’s come to light. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone competing for his spot got wind of it and had their agent let it slip.

Southgate clearly was unaware when he picked him for the two games prior to the tournament. Wonder if it was during that time it was leaked or just recently.

He’s been investigated over the last 7 or 8 months, reports have stated. Southgate picked him for the last squad obviously knowing full well this was occurring.

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Was it Merson who got a ban for involvement in spot fixing involving a throw in within 10 seconds?

It was Madman Le Tissier but he never received a ban or any sort of punishment. Admitted it after retirement I think.

I saw it reported there was no suggestion Toney betted on his own games or was involved in match fixing, which I thought were the kind of things you would think a lifetime ban was for, would have thought it would be closer to Barton or Tripps punishment, albeit that is a lot of offences...

23 minutes ago, Manxst said:

He’s been investigated over the last 7 or 8 months, reports have stated. Southgate picked him for the last squad obviously knowing full well this was occurring.

TBF, if the England manager could only pick whiter than white players, the squad would have been be a bit thin on the ground over recent years, noting the amount of dodgy shithouses we've had:

Rooney - Granny whore marriage cheat

Gerrard - Assault, supporting a would-be-murderer, organised crime,  all round cunt

Beckham - Corruption for honours, oil patsy

Terry - Racist all round criminal shitbag

Johnson - Convicted nonce

Wio Ferdinand - Druggy

Cashley Cole- Mobile phone buggery pervert

Fowler - Bit of sniff

Gazza - All the drugs and booze, wife beater

Le Tiss, Merson, Adams - Dodgy gambling

Les Ferdinand - Not a shithouse at all, but trashed the Blue Peter garden

Toney is a saint compared to plenty of others.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

30 minutes ago, Manxst said:

👍🏻 Very strange if that’s the case. Would Southgate be informed though if it’s a criminal investigation? What a mess. Shame for IT but maybe he plays next tournament and becomes our Paolo Rossi 🙂

12 minutes ago, LFEE said:

👍🏻 Very strange if that’s the case. Would Southgate be informed though if it’s a criminal investigation? What a mess. Shame for IT but maybe he plays next tournament and becomes our Paolo Rossi 🙂

It’s not a criminal investigation. The ‘offences’ are investigated by football authorities, not the police.

Always wondered how footballers make these bets on football. They obviously can't put it in their name or even have the money linked in anyway to any of their accounts.

My first guess would be that they tell their friends what to bet on? If so how do they get caught in the end? Or do I just have it all completely wrong?

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

Always wondered how footballers make these bets on football. They obviously can't put it in their name or even have the money linked in anyway to any of their accounts.

My first guess would be that they tell their friends what to bet on? If so how do they get caught in the end? Or do I just have it all completely wrong?

Probably the same way people get caught out on the dark web - people talking.

48 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

TBF, if the England manager could only pick whiter than white players, the squad would have been be a bit thin on the ground over recent years, noting the amount of dodgy shithouses we've had:

Rooney - Granny whore marriage cheat

Gerrard - Assault, supporting a would-be-murderer, organised crime,  all round cunt

Beckham - Corruption for honours, oil patsy

Terry - Racist all round criminal shitbag

Johnson - Convicted nonce

Wio Ferdinand - Druggy

Cashley Cole- Mobile phone buggery pervert

Fowler - Bit of sniff

Gazza - All the drugs and booze, wife beater

Le Tiss, Merson, Adams - Dodgy gambling

Les Ferdinand - Not a shithouse at all, but trashed the Blue Peter garden

Toney is a saint compared to plenty of others.

Trippier encouraging his friend to bet on his transfer? ;)

2 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Lower league player I know does it through his wife's account. He doesn't seem to worry about the money audit trail much :lol:

30 minutes ago, Manxst said:

It’s not a criminal investigation. The ‘offences’ are investigated by football authorities, not the police.

👍🏻 Fair enough. I just thought with the power and pull betting companies have etc I thought it was taken more serious. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Toney aside, this could absolutely destroy Brentford if he gets a significant ban. I quite like them to be honest, more so than most clubs in the PL, shame it couldn’t have been Anthony Gordon 

What's the odds on them going down?

28 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Trippier encouraging his friend to bet on his transfer? ;)

I was all ready to go in on Toney when I read that Trips got a 10 game ban for betting on that. I suppose they might be a bit more lenient on Toney having set a precedent. At least there won't be any calls for lifetime bans.

Brentford are well-run with a good manager and have January ahead of them to find a replacement; I don't think they're definitely going to sink off the back of this. Everything from 9th in the table downwards seems pretty changeable at the moment; it's difficult to tell which bunch are going to emerge as the relegation pack.

Just now, TRon said:

I was all ready to go in on Toney when I read that Trips got a 10 game ban for betting on that. I suppose they might be a bit more lenient on Toney having set a precedent. At least there won't be any calls for lifetime bans.

Trippier didn't be though - just told his pal to!

Just now, TRon said:

Trippier didn’t bet on it 

he told his friends he was moving to atletico then they did 

Completely different incidents 

1 minute ago, Paully said:

Trippier didn't be though - just told his pal to!

It's still very shady though. I don't know the exact ins and outs of what Toney did, but I wouldn't like to see him banned for life.