Ivan Toney (now playing for Brentford)

joeyt

With managers like Rafa they have a clear vision of what they want, the type of player they want, skillset, potential etc. If someone doesn't fit it isn't always down to them not being talented enough or not having potential to be a great player. They just don't fit what the manager wants for his particular style, skill and vision. Sometimes they make a mistake, sometimes that players might be great elsewhere but just never would have excelled in the same way here.  

All managers let players go that end up being raging successes elsewhere just as they sign complete duffers. Circumstances and situation are variables that you can't always account for. Do they fit in with the area and settle, click with fans, click with other players and the coaches, does a freak injury or bad performance break them mentally. Certain players thrive under critical and pressurized environments like Rafa while others do better with the no approach Bruce. That is some of the reasons why some shit managers/players have purple patches or look better than they are or better managers/players fall flat on the faces when you assume they would do well. 

To be fair, other than potentially Rafa, when have we had belief in our club to make players better or develop them? The likes of Mbabu, Toney and Armstrong have excelled by getting as far away from this clusterfuck of a club as possible, just ironic it was under Rafa they left.  For whatever reason Rafa didn't deem them to work under his system and vision, maybe he was wrong, maybe not. Either way I have zero faith in us signing someone and doing anything other than damaging their career. 

3 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Mbabu was pretty much a perma crock when he was here, yes the talent was evident but it was in the balance as to whether he'd make it at a high level. He had to go back to the Swiss league to rebuilt his career, hardly a no brainer to keep him at the time.

We also don't know how much was left in the kitty at the end of the Championship summer, for all we know it was a choice of Gamez and Gayle or a different right back and no stirker. Didn't Janmaat make it pretty clear he wanted to leave once we went down?

I would have thought if any manager would be the right one to see the potential in a player and get him back on the rails it would be Rafa. With him being the obsessive football nut it's unlikely that he just doesn't recognise talent when he sees it.

That said, he obviously doesn't have time for wasters, and if it's true that Mbabu was living it up, you can imagine Rafa would be the type to tell him to start again somewhere else regardless of potential.

• 7 months later...

I always feel like history is revised with this kid. Same too with Armstrong to a degree. 

They needed to leave, they needed to play, and having the safety net of a loan doesn't give them the pressure needed to develop. He's looked handy this year in a team that struggles to create, but I'm not convinced I'd be desperate to get him back. There's something about his attitude that doesn't sit right with me. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

What has he done beside this that makes you question his attitude? He’s a competitor and has been the whole time he’s been at brentford. 

He said earlier in the season he'd happily join Liverpool even if it meant sitting on the bench. 

Brentford took a punt on him and it's got them both into the Premier League. They'll sell if a good offer comes in, but saying shit like that is disrespectful.

I haven't seen that Liverpool bench patter but I do remember when he was younger (like at Wigan and Peterborough on loan) he'd get into Twitter spats with opposition fans and stuff tbf. I also think he's got a bit of arrogance about him but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. He's had a great few years in the Championship and his hold up and link up plays is superb, he just hasn't added the goals yet. I'd still take him back right now if offered, not that it would happen.

13 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Think I’d say anything she asked me to as well.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Dude some hot as fuck chick asks you to say that shit while you’re on vacation you’re saying it. :lol: 

Doesn’t need an investigation ffs. 

pewdiepie-simp-simp.gif

Clark-SMB level of stupid. :lol: How hard is it to say nar that's needless grief and move on to the next fit woman who'll undoubtedly hang off your arm because you're a freaking Premier League footballer?

Don't imagine it was said with any genuine malice and my guess is the 'investigation' will probably conclude he's just not the sharpest tool in the box.

Looks like it was that girls phone, but that doesn’t cover up the fact he’s an idiot for getting drawn into a situation like that when he’s earning massive amounts of money to represent the club/town he’s playing for

To anyone saying bring him home.. no, maybe don’t do that. Imagine the shit he’d cause saying something about Saudi or MBS.

We have enough dopes in our squad currently “Cous cous nonce”? We need to be bringing in players who can play but also have a brain.

17 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

This filling absolutely everything and posting it online culture is absolutely lifting. 

I've had a phone since about 1998 and my wife still needs to remind me to take it out and take a picture of something for her, I'm 46 so don't get the mentality take a picture of film your life constantly, people standing at football games filming the whole thing irritates to fuck out of me.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I've had a phone since about 1998 and my wife still needs to remind me to take it out and take a picture of something for her, I'm 46 so don't get the mentality take a picture of film your life constantly, people standing at football games filming the whole thing irritates to fuck out of me.

As Mandoon said, clout chasing is at an all time high. The norms which governed my own behaviour are well and truly gone these days. 

That being said, Toney is a lot younger and should know the rules of the game. Anyways in the end it’s a storm in a teacup. 

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

As Mandoon said, clout chasing is at an all time high. The norms which governed my own behaviour are well and truly gone these days. 

That being said, Toney is a lot younger and should know the rules of the game. Anyways in the end it’s a storm in a teacup. 

It’s absolute fucking cringe, like.

Case in point this shite with ‘Astrid Wett’, some total fucking groomer and ‘Cal The Dragon’.  Just who are these cunts, man?