England's Kids

Martin Lol

are playing tonight against Scotland in the Victory Shield live on SS1 at 8pm.

Should be a good game as the Scots have one of their best batch of youngsters for a long time, including Gordon Durie's boy and Robert Fleck's nephew who are both on Rangers' books in spite of attention from Chelsea.  The Scots currently top the group, England need a victory to win the competition.

No Toon youngsters as far as I know, but there are a couple of kids with real potential in Villa's Nathan Delfouneso and Sanchez Watt, yet another decent talent out of the Scum Academy.  Spurs did have 3 in the squad, the best one has pulled out with injury although Adam Smith has looked good on occasions.  Always worth watching the (possible) stars of the future. :thup:

Jack Rodwell the Everton centre back is England captain. Supposed to be the new Rio. Plays in the age bracket above at club level, think he might have made the bench for the reserves recently as well.. not sure.

I remember watching this fixture a few years back. England won 5-0, one player scored one (From the Half-way line) and setup 3 others, before going on to become England's most capped youth international ever. His name was Lee Croft and I thought City had the new Zidane on their hands. Now he plays for Norwich. These kids have so far to go before they even become professionals, hardly any of them will make it to the premiership and I doubt any of them will play for England. I think its stupid that these games get put on TV when more senior England teams don't.

Jack Rodwell the Everton centre back is England captain. Supposed to be the new Rio. Plays in the age bracket above at club level, think he might have made the bench for the reserves recently as well.. not sure.

Don't know about being the next Rio but he did look very solid in the last match against Nothern Ireland.  Having said that, it was only against Northern Ireland.

I remember watching this fixture a few years back. England won 5-0, one player scored one (From the Half-way line) and setup 3 others, before going on to become England's most capped youth international ever. His name was Lee Croft and I thought City had the new Zidane on their hands. Now he plays for Norwich. These kids have so far to go before they even become professionals, hardly any of them will make it to the premiership and I doubt any of them will play for England. I think its stupid that these games get put on TV when more senior England teams don't.

In that age group Croft was head and shoulders above the rest of the squad abilitywise and maybe he believed the hype.  For whatever reason he lost his way big style, but he wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last not to live up to expectations.  I don't think this is the best England squad there's been and of the ones I've seen only the Villa striker and the Spanners keeper have really impressed.  You can get a pretty good idea of how good the youngsters can progress though.  More recently, Steven Taylor and Tom Huddlestone were outstanding in their age group and I still believe both will go on to be fixtures in the senior England squad. 

I agree that I'd like to see more coverage of the u19/u20's but if Sky choose to sponsor the kids, it's the kids that get the broadcasting time. 

Dunno what age group this was tonight, but I remember my Grandad taking me to SJP to watch England Schoolboys vs Scotland and telling me before the game to watch out for this kid up front who was supposed to be shit hot, who then scored a fantastic goal at the Leazes End where we were sitting.

Michael Owen his name was, I've never heard of him for ages.