Newcastle United vs Northampton Town - League Cup - Tues 25th Aug 19:45 (no TV)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I'm pretty sure it'll actually be 4-1-4-1

I think so too.

Either way Gouffran is a CM.

Thauvin who can play no 10 could be central alongside De Jong and Gouffran out wide. Seems completely daft to me but at least not defensive mid

:lol: It's an official club graphic against Northampton Town. I'm fairly sure it's going to be accurate. I severely doubt we're playing mind games.

It doesn't have to be mind games, it only takes mcclaren or an assistant not taking the time to explain the formation to the graphics guy. Or just outright incompetence. This is us after all

I think it's much more likely we're sticking with the same formation at this point, and Gouffran played there in pre-season, no?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that either way, once the game has kicked off...  we'll still have no idea what formation we're playing.

Think you're somewhat overestimating the quality of the cobblers.

Famous last words.

It's got nothing to do with Northampton and more to do with our players gaining confidence and getting used to playing with each other in a competitive game.  Also, that team is the same type we put out last season, the only difference is that we've got a bit more strength in depth when it comes to quality.

Is there a link on the off chance it works in the US?

I don't even think there's a streaming version of it. It's BBC Radio Newcastle but they split their FM and MW transmissions, so the Sunderland game is on FM, which is what gets streamed online.

Happy with the team and formation, we should really hit them from the off. The difference to a similar line up appearing last year is that we're not going to be playing the same damage limitation/counter attack football that we would play against Manyoo or Chelski.

I am seriously shaking my head at Gouffran though, if you have to shoehorn him in, give him a run upfront or just behind Cisse, plenty of fringe players could do with a run out in that position.