Athletics

Impressive 100m relay from the British women again. Neita impressive on that last leg too.

Must admit I was originally baffled why the China team, after they dropped the baton, went back and picked it up and finished 20s later than everyone else. They autoqualify for next year's Olympics, some nous there.

Laura Muir 5th in another incredibly fast race.

I sound like our good old friend Rob W here but you can't help look at Hassan and that double she did and think there's something up there, especially with the Salazaar links. Likewise the Bahrain lass in the 400m knocking a second off her PB and destroying Shaune Miller-Uebo in that manner, she's got to be on the juice.

Knobhead Steve Cram Celebrity Fan can't even get her name right.

He's a fucking great pundit though, although I'm massively disappointed with his comments this week on the whole Salazaar situation, especially the way he went on about Gatling a couple of years ago. Obviously you're not allowed to question anything about Mo Farah in this country, plus he's a Nike ambassador so clearly has a conflict of interest. As does Radcliffe with her ridiculous comments with her also being a Nike ambassador and her husband being Farah's coach. Fair play to Gabby Roslin though for what she's said all of the way through (I've been away so only seen snippets).

Laura Muir 5th in another incredibly fast race.

I sound like our good old friend Rob W here but you can't help look at Hassan and that double she did and think there's something up there, especially with the Salazaar links. Likewise the Bahrain lass in the 400m knocking a second off her PB and destroying Shaune Miller-Uebo in that manner, she's got to be on the juice.

Thought the same re Naser destroying Miller Uibo, like. She barely broke sweat.

EDIT: And you missed some epic DAS screen time, man. I enjoyed it enough for the both of us.

I get why people are sceptical, because Miller-Uibo is the bigger name and she went into the race as the favourite, she looks like an elite athlete, and Naser beat her in an astonishing time. The context though is that Naser was a world champion at the junior level - incidentally back when she used to run in a hijab - and two years ago in London, at the age of just nineteen, won a silver medal at the world championships over 400 metres while Miller-Uibo finished back in forth. Naser has lost just one race over the distance in the last two years: to Miller-Uibo in Monaco in July 2018 when she finished just behind her, both athletes running personal bests of respectively 48.97 and 49.08. Naser has dominated in the Diamond League over that period, winning several races in the low 49 second range.

There's basically been little to choose between her and Miller-Uibo, and she went into Doha vying with Miller-Uibo for the title. That competition can produce fast times, and the track in Doha was fast and enclosed, which for the 400 metres negates the effect of a swirling wind. Her time was still remarkable, as was Miller-Uibo's time, but I think it's fair to consider it within the bounds of reason given her form and progression over the last few years.

I get why people are sceptical, because Miller-Uibo is the bigger name and she went into the race as the favourite, she looks like an elite athlete, and Naser beat her in an astonishing time. The context though is that Naser was a world champion at the junior level - incidentally back when she used to run in a hijab - and two years ago in London, at the age of just nineteen, won a silver medal at the world championships over 400 metres while Miller-Uibo finished back in forth. Naser has lost just one race over the distance in the last two years: to Miller-Uibo in Monaco in July 2018 when she finished just behind her, both athletes running personal bests of respectively 48.97 and 49.08. Naser has dominated in the Diamond League over that period, winning several races in the low 49 second range.

There's basically been little to choose between her and Miller-Uibo, and she went into Doha vying with Miller-Uibo for the title. That competition can produce fast times, and the track in Doha was fast and enclosed, which for the 400 metres negates the effect of a swirling wind. Her time was still remarkable, as was Miller-Uibo's time, but I think it's fair to consider it within the bounds of reason given her form and progression over the last few years.

I think people are sceptical because her coach was just banned for 4 years rather than because she wasn't favourite

I think people are sceptical because her coach was just banned for 4 years rather than because she wasn't favourite

That's Sifan Hassan, a different athlete. Naser has nothing to do with Salazar or the Nike Oregon Project, and of course anyone who does will be suspect. Salazar and Jeffrey Brown's bans - for trafficking and administering testosterone and subverting the doping control process - are peculiar in so far as there's been a six year investigation and they've been found guilty without implicating any individual athlete. Hassan's defence will be that she joined the project fairly late, prior to the start of the 2017 season, and that she was already a precocious athlete with world and European titles to her name while her progression through the ranks has been fairly steady, even if like Naser, her times in Doha look exceptional.

That's Sifan Hassan, a different athlete. Naser has nothing to do with Salazar or the Nike Oregon Project, and of course anyone who does will be suspect. Salazar and Jeffrey Brown's bans - for trafficking and administering testosterone and subverting the doping control process - are peculiar in so far as there's been a six year investigation and they've been found guilty without implicating any individual athlete. Hassan's defence will be that she joined the project fairly late, prior to the start of the 2017 season, and that she was already a precocious athlete with world and European titles to her name while her progression through the ranks has been fairly steady, even if like Naser, her times in Doha look exceptional.

Ah right sorry, carry on

Kipchoge becomes the first person to run a sub 2 hour marathon.

Mixed feelings about this. Eventually, someone's going to do it in a genuine race. Doesn't this take something of the shine off it?

:lol: :lol:

As a reasonable amateur runner when you look at what is required to do what Kipchoge did it is just absolutely phenomenal. It is literally amazing.

• Rich changed the title to Athletics